Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

PhytoExtractum Shop: Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSurReality
Stranger

my DIY self watering hydro set up
    #651783 - 12/18/12 01:33 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

i put this in a few appropriate sub-forums. i figure this is definitely something i would talk about at a pub/bar so why not post it here too? i'm interested in getting feedback on this, that's why i'm posting it in a few places to get more views...

ok so this is combination of a "hempy bucket" and this self watering thing i found on youtube here:

when i saw that i was like, why don't you just put the water storage bottle in the same dish rather than whicking it from one dish to another?

i have used gallon jugs as a mini hempy bucket in the past with success. but these are not hempy buckets, because there are drainage holes on the bottom (a hempy bucket has a drainage hole about 1/3 of the way up the soil-less  pot to create a reservoir within the pot). i decided to do this A: because it will work better with the self watering settup, and B: because i noticed there is a lot of salt build up from the nutes and i don't think a flush can get it out very well.

here it is:

i'd like some feed back if you have any. i put 4 holes in the bottom of each jug and a coffee filter to keep the perlite from spilling out the holes. i'm wondering if the salt may get stuck in the filter when i flush later on or if it will pass right through in the flush water. if it does i can just poke holes in the filter when it comes to flushing, but i like to try to re-veg in the same jug after harvest. although usually a veg fails since i cut the whole plant out to harvest and dry while leaving a few leaves at the base of the plant, but i have done it.

one thing that is pretty interesting is that i put a little more water in the reservoir than needed (because i just bought the water jugs and didn't really want to waste clean water) and the jugs are actually floating in the water. i'm going to check to see if they are still floating later tonight and in the morning because i don't want the plants to get flooded. but this is really good to know because i could actually just remove the large water jug completely and just have the reservoir completely full and let the jugs float on top of the excess water, this would actually mean i would probably have more storage water and re-filling would just take one simple step.

has anyone seen anything just like this before or is this an original set-up as far as anyone knows???

some bad things is the jug is collapsing a little from pressure, but i was expecting that but i think the shape will not let it collapse too much.

also the floating stopped and i had to remove the excess water.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

PhytoExtractum Shop: Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder