Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemystkspiral

1st Grow - 12 Bagseed
    #649471 - 12/04/12 08:04 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Today marks Day 1 of my first grow. What I currently have to work with:

125W CFL along with a few 25watters CFL

12 random bagseed ive collected over the years (not expecting much, planning on getting better seeds from an online site)

Hopefully if any of these seeds germinate, i want to place it immediately into a medium consisting of 4 parts peat moss and 1 part perlite. i also do have vermiculite so i was wondering

what would be the best mix ratio from seedlings to the end of veg with these 3 ingredients (peat, perlite, vermiculite)

i do not have any fertilizer at the moment, what are some good brands to use for veg and flower? i saw a miracle gro at home depot with a rating of 10-10-10, would this be okay for the veg phase?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: 1st Grow - 12 Bagseed [Re: mystkspiral]
    #649479 - 12/04/12 09:03 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Do you not have a grow store? 

Well your mix has no nutrients in it at all.  So your going to have to water with some sort of nutrient water solution.

I wouldn't recommend anything miracle grow.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

Loc: High Flag
Re: 1st Grow - 12 Bagseed [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #649497 - 12/04/12 10:47 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Walmart carries some organic nutrients where you can at least control the NPK a little better. But really for cannabis you need nutrients specific to the plants, they are very picky.

1 parts peat, 1 parts vermiculite, 1 parts perlite roughly. You can add a little more perlite for drainage.

Do you have any money to spend? If so I can recommend some products.

--------------------
Suck my balls America

Offlinemystkspiral

Re: 1st Grow - 12 Bagseed [Re: mhbound]
    #649523 - 12/05/12 02:32 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

i can def spend some money, some brand names to lead me in the right direction would great. there are a few nursery stores nearby, havent checked them out yet but will soon.

thanks for the input on miracle gro, i was literally going to get that.

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

#649528 - 12/05/12 02:49 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I love these nutrients. A lot of people like Fox Farms nutrients, but this is just my personal opinion.

http://www.rvfgardensupply.com/cgi/search.cgi?terms=Nutrients_Supplements::Humboldt_Nutrients&category=Nutrients_Supplements+:+Humboldt_Nutrients

You will need a Grow and a Bloom, a Micro wouldn't hurt. You'll spend around 60 on them but will last you through several grows. You can actually get some soil from there as well. As far as soil goes I recommend a Fox Farm soil, but the soilless mix I posted above will do great. The problem with soilless is it doesn't provide a buffer like a soil would for error, but at the same time you have more control over your plants with soilless mix.

How the fuck do you spell soilless anyway?

If you need more specifics will be glad to..Just a starting point.

--------------------
Suck my balls America

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

#649529 - 12/05/12 02:56 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Oh and just as important as the nutrients are the PH up and down. If your PH is out of balance it won't matter what you give them(well it does but it can really affect how your plants use the nutrients)

--------------------
Suck my balls America

Offlinemystkspiral

#649809 - 12/06/12 03:56 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

mhbound said:
I love these nutrients. A lot of people like Fox Farms nutrients, but this is just my personal opinion.

http://www.rvfgardensupply.com/cgi/search.cgi?terms=Nutrients_Supplements::Humboldt_Nutrients&category=Nutrients_Supplements+:+Humboldt_Nutrients

You will need a Grow and a Bloom, a Micro wouldn't hurt. You'll spend around 60 on them but will last you through several grows. You can actually get some soil from there as well. As far as soil goes I recommend a Fox Farm soil, but the soilless mix I posted above will do great. The problem with soilless is it doesn't provide a buffer like a soil would for error, but at the same time you have more control over your plants with soilless mix.

How the fuck do you spell soilless anyway?

If you need more specifics will be glad to..Just a starting point.

nice! thanks for the suggestion, ill most likely order these nutrients off this site then, doesnt look expensive at all. there so many combinations of the mixtures though, which combination of mixtures would be the best to use during seedlings/clones/veg/flowering? i know for veg  more nitrogen is preferred and then phospherous for flowering while still maintaining the other nutrients. but which package would do well?

im currently in the midst of building a grow box but kinda stuck at a point.
i want to include 1-2 vents on the bottom of the box for intake while 1 big or 2 exhaust holes (all vents i wanted to be against the back of the grow box). but if im venting air throughout the box, how do i block light at the same time? ive read about the dark room filters but cant seem to imagine this being the only option on blocking light...

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #649810 - 12/06/12 04:14 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

There are a number of ways.  You can use flanges that open only when air is being forced through them.  I see them most commonly for dryers and what not, you can also put right angles in the tubing.

--------------------

-niteowl

Offlinemystkspiral

#649835 - 12/06/12 08:12 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

right angles, so use tubing and bend it in a 90 degree angle? what are some good designs for this? can i have the angle inside the grow box without too much junk coming out the box itself? will this not restrict air flow at all?

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

#649836 - 12/06/12 08:29 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

You want your exhaust to be as straight as possible to reduce drag(I guess that's the right word, -- friction). You also want to use the tubing with no ribs in it, that also prevent good air flow. But if you just use 1 bend you will be fine. Use duct tape to seal holes...That's what its for -- ducting, seal up all those connections like a mother fucker to prevent light leaks and air leaks.

--------------------
Suck my balls America

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #649868 - 12/07/12 02:02 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

It will constrict airflow, but you need to make sure that there isn't any light, so it's a lesser of two evils.

--------------------

-niteowl

Offlinemystkspiral

#649988 - 12/07/12 06:12 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I visited my local garden center today and found some fertilizer that i read some good reviews on prior to seeing it: Jacks Classic

i also picked up a bag of Organic Seed Starting Jiffy Mix. it says organic, but says it's made up of 50% peat moss 50% vermiculite & lime for ph balance, and organic wetting agent.

i also have a pack of jiffy pellets, whats the difference between them? i want to plant the germed seeds in the pellets, and once pellets show roots, can i transfer the pellets into this jiffy seed starting mix for the veg phase all the way through to flower? i will also had perlite to this mix after seedlings outgrow the pellets.

i heard growing with organic can be difficult. will this 'organic' seed starting mix make it difficult to grow with the fertilizer i have? or  would i be better off just getting separate bags of peat, verm, and perlite and just use THAT as the media to grow in.

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

#649997 - 12/07/12 06:41 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Make sure to get perlite with no nutrients in it.

Yes, that is what you do..Start in the pellets and move them to your mix. The mix will have no nutrients in it so you will have to pay very close attention to what your plants do, because you will have full control over it...Its very similar to hydroponic.

Those nutrients are extremely strong man. I mean VERY HIGH. You will have to use a watered down formula or you will burn your plants to hell.

I would personally look for something else, but you do have them already you just have to be VERY VERY careful.

--------------------
Suck my balls America

Offlinemystkspiral

#649999 - 12/07/12 06:47 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

thanks a lot for the heads up. the directions say to use 1/2 teaspoon per gallon for every other week of watering. so ill cut this mixture to 1/4 (or less?) teaspoon per gallon for watering every other week.

but as the plants get older and stronger, can i gradually increase the dosage to the stated directions? i know i would have to judge for myself on what the plants need from the symptoms they show.

Offlinemystkspiral

#650001 - 12/07/12 06:50 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

quick question concerning the pellets. i heard the pellets dry out really quick, do i keep the seedlings in a humidity dome? or is humidity only necessary for clones/cuttings? how do i know when seedlings no longer need the humidity, if it ever needed it?

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

#650011 - 12/07/12 07:24 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Yes keep them in the humidity dome and once the first set of leaves show then put them in your soil.

I will look at those nutrients a little closer and give you my answer if someone doesn't beat me to it.

--------------------
Suck my balls America

Offlinemystkspiral

#650365 - 12/09/12 11:18 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

1st seed showed root today, not too big of a radical so ill keep it over night for a good root length. then i plan on putting the seed in a jiffy pellet to establish its roots. or should i place the seed straight into fox farm ocean forest? i also have jiffy seed starting mix as well. not sure of which three i should proceed with:

jiffy pellet then later transplant to fox farm ocean forest
fox farm ocean forest
jiffy seed starting mix then transplant to fox farm

Offlinemystkspiral

#651076 - 12/14/12 11:54 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

out of the 12 seeds, only 1 germed. its been 9 days since i put all the seeds to germ. is it safe to say the others are duds? good to throw away or wait a few more days for signs of germinations?

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #651083 - 12/14/12 12:34 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I assume you're using the paper towel method to germ?
If so, they need to be constantly moist AND warm to germinate (think the top of a constantly running appliance like a refrigerator or something).
Also, you stated you've collected the seeds over a few years.  The old seeds may no longer be viable.  You could attempt to "crack" the seeds by applying pressure along the sides of the seed (like cracking a sunflower hull to get at the seed), and then putting them back into a germination friendly environment.  I've seen this method used with some success on older seed stock.
In the future, if your seeds are old, you can put them in a matchbox or similar container lined with fine grit sandpaper.  Shake them for sixty seconds to create grooves and scuffs on the hull which expose a greater surface area to moisture and encourages germination.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: 1st Grow - 12 Bagseed [Re: 81renaissance]
    #651084 - 12/14/12 12:38 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Also I always germinate in soil under my lights. This keeps them warm (HID lighting), and I can provide constant moisture, AND I don't have to pull the germinated seeds off of the paper towel (which damages the fine root hairs that weave into said paper towel).
I have always had between 90 and 100% germination using this method and viable seeds.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder