Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineCage
Melancholy Mindfuck.

Where can I get trained to put together/repair computers?
    #646863 - 11/19/12 04:26 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I have a whole lot of experience fixing my own hardware/software problems but nothing formal, I want to learn what I need to know to maintain and repair computers in a shop or something similar. (I'm not trying to do Tech support though, I want to work with computers more and people less)

What are the requirements on getting into some kind of specialty school? I rather not go to College because I don't want to get fucked taking all of those loans, my parents intend to pretty much force me to, not that I'm really against it, but I rather start having an income than get a headstart on potentially fucking up my credit..

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDeadkndys420
 User Gallery

Loc: █████
Re: Where can I get trained to put together/repair computers? [Re: Cage]
    #646868 - 11/19/12 04:41 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Community college?

I know the one by me offers courses on computer hardware.

Or maybe go to ITT tech or another voc school and get your comptia certificate.

InvisibleAlounacara
Born to be banned....
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Spicemaster, Texas
    #646900 - 11/19/12 06:41 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

CRAIGLIST

--------------------
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist office
Texas is humongus compared to France
Our Gair, who art in Texas,
Paw Paw be thy Name..

OfflinePicklez
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #646903 - 11/19/12 06:49 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I hear you man, I have been in a similar boat. I have the skills but not the certifications.

Id recommend finding what tests/ certificates, ect are offered in your area. Then just getting a book or tutorial that specializes in passing that test

I know they have them all the time here and they are pretty cheap classes

OfflineCage
Melancholy Mindfuck.

Re: Where can I get trained to put together/repair computers? [Re: Picklez]
    #646914 - 11/19/12 07:09 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I'll look and see if I can find any vocational schools (that's what they're called right?) and I'll look into those certificates too. Craigslist was the very first place I looked, almost everybody wants at least 2 years experience minimum, or it just goes out of range of the things I know how to do, I'm pretty confident I could figure out how to do everything with a few Google searches on the spot if I had to, but I don't think they would let me do that.

OfflineKing Koopa
Natty
 User Gallery

#646934 - 11/19/12 08:03 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

What employers want in the IT business is EXPERIENCE. They know need to know you are able to diagnose PC problems effectively. If you have personal experience, that's a plus, but working in a certain business let's your employer know that you are capable of assessing a wide range of problems.

What I recommend first and foremost is an A+ certification. It'll probably be information you already know, dealing with the hardware and software aspects of PC repair. This certification is the industry standard for most, if not all, entry-level PC jobs. There's also many resources in which you can get study material for free so you could learn what is on the test. The test itself is updated every couple of years and pirates are always right behind it.

Check out the site CompTIA.org to learn what it takes to get into the IT business the formal way; as I see you trying to do. CompTIA are the people who administrate IT certifications. It also looks great on resumes. Afterwards you can look into Microsoft Certification; and Cisco certifications which deals with networking and routing for businesses or any size and flavor. Networking certificates pay lots, but it's also a lot to learn and it take more than just studying. Aplying the they studying is what is most important. 

For jobbing, check out dice.com and indeed.com. It's good to check there to know what many employers look for and maybe even get a feel as to what you want to do in IT in the long term.

--------------------
Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism.

The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. There are no dues or fees for A.A. membership; we are self-supporting through our own contributions. A.A. is not allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organization or institution; does not wish to engage in any controversy; neither endorses nor opposes any causes. Our primary purpose is to stay sober and help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety.

OfflinePicklez
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Where can I get trained to put together/repair computers? [Re: King Koopa]
    #646941 - 11/19/12 08:22 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

King Koopa said:
What employers want in the IT business is EXPERIENCE. They know need to know you are able to diagnose PC problems effectively. If you have personal experience, that's a plus, but working in a certain business let's your employer know that you are capable of assessing a wide range of problems.

What I recommend first and foremost is an A+ certification. It'll probably be information you already know, dealing with the hardware and software aspects of PC repair. This certification is the industry standard for most, if not all, entry-level PC jobs. There's also many resources in which you can get study material for free so you could learn what is on the test. The test itself is updated every couple of years and pirates are always right behind it.

Check out the site CompTIA.org to learn what it takes to get into the IT business the formal way; as I see you trying to do. CompTIA are the people who administrate IT certifications. It also looks great on resumes. Afterwards you can look into Microsoft Certification; and Cisco certifications which deals with networking and routing for businesses or any size and flavor. Networking certificates pay lots, but it's also a lot to learn and it take more than just studying. Aplying the they studying is what is most important. 

For jobbing, check out dice.com and indeed.com. It's good to check there to know what many employers look for and maybe even get a feel as to what you want to do in IT in the long term.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

InvisibleDeadkndys420
 User Gallery

Loc: █████
    #646943 - 11/19/12 08:35 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Also the military is a great place to get a free education in IT and you also get experience not to mention having a military background always looks good on a resume.
Particularity in the Navy or Airforce.

OfflinePicklez
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Where can I get trained to put together/repair computers? [Re: Deadkndys420]
    #646944 - 11/19/12 08:41 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Military is very difficult to get into right now

With all the troop levels being drawn down on the battle fields, we actually have a surplus of active troops

I looked into re-enlistment a couple of months ago and was told they were close to max strength already

Maybe IF/WHEN another conflict starts, possibly with Iran, that would be the time to go and try to serve

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

Loc: High Flag
Re: Where can I get trained to put together/repair computers? [Re: Picklez]
    #647035 - 11/20/12 12:35 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Look at the compTIA exams...a+ ,network+ etc. I have those both and most jobs required them regardless of whether you have a degree or not. You pay shipping and I'll give you the two books I have with practice tests. I don't need them and are the best ones available.

--------------------
Suck my balls America

OfflineCage
Melancholy Mindfuck.

Re: Where can I get trained to put together/repair computers? [Re: mhbound]
    #647544 - 11/23/12 11:08 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Hell yeah, that would be awesome. I usually only buy stuff online through Amazon, so I'm guessing I would need Paypal or something?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom