Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineyellownotepad
Pharmaceutical Agriculturalist
 User Gallery

adopted a sickly baby with stunted growth and yellow leaves
    #63744 - 06/22/08 12:13 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

its a few weeks old, and was living in a plastic cup filled with straight storebought potting soil, being watered with tap water, and sitting under a HPS light (i believe). 

this plant is sickly yellow/lime, and EXTREMELY small for how long it's been growing.  i brought it home, and built a box for it to recuperate in.  took the rock hard mass of old soil and moistened it, and ended up using a steak knife to break up what was essentially a dirt clod encompassing the root system. 

i put that into a pot that has the bottom lined with about 1" of vermiculite, and then filled with a mix of about 25% vermiculite, and about 5% sphagnum peat all mixed into moisture control potting mix soil.  the whole deal is sitting under a CFL that is supposed to be equivalent to 60 watts (i forget the actual CFL wattage) and is sitting about 5 inches away from the top of the plant.

can anyone tell me what is up with this plant, and what i can do to nurse it back to health?  i don't think the yellow color is due to a nutrient deficiency so much as maybe a bad watering schedule, because the dirt was ROCK SOLID suggesting it was overwatered, and then underwatered habitually.  but i could be wrong, and thus i'm here.

Edited by yellownotepad (06/22/08 12:15 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Loc: The Milky Way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: adopted a sickly baby with stunted growth and yellow leaves [Re: yellownotepad]
    #63779 - 06/22/08 01:06 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

It definitely looks like its suffering from nutrient deficiency, which could have been due to the roots suffering from the conditions as you described. Anyways, as far as bringing it around, the MG Moisture Control should have adequate nutrients for it for a good while, so the most important thing is to just make sure you're watering right and keeping the soil arable.

I'd recommend moving the CFL closer, or, of course, moving the plant closer to the CFL. :lol: You'll benefit more from having the bulb positioned horizontally, because more light is being emitted from the sides than from underneath the top of the bulb. An inch or two distance should be fine as long as there isn't too much heat on the plant as a result. You're better off using a flat white surface, or at least the other side of the tin foil, than how you have it now. Tin foil is horrible as reflective material for grows due to all of those creases you see there, causing light to be reflected at oblique angles. Mylar is much better, but a flat white surface is great too.

A 60 watt equivalent (which should be 13 watts), isn't going to be enough for the plant, although the one you have now will probably work until you can replace it. Anything under 20 watts shouldn't be used, but the real thing to look for is the lumens, as listed on the package. You're going to want at least 2000 lumens for that plant. Another thing to look for is the color temperature of the bulb. For vegetative state, you'll want a 6500k daylight bulb. The bulb you have now might be 2700k, considering how orange it is looking, but I couldn't be certain. Anyways, you'll definitely want to get a new one or two. :wink:

What kind of ventilation do you have set up for that grow space?

--------------------

Offlineyellownotepad
 User Gallery

Re: adopted a sickly baby with stunted growth and yellow leaves [Re: Sirius]
    #63784 - 06/22/08 01:21 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

you're right, i found the package and its 13 watts.  the lumen rating is 800.  i cannot find the color temperature but the bulbs are 'soft white'.

Offlineyellownotepad
 User Gallery

Re: adopted a sickly baby with stunted growth and yellow leaves [Re: yellownotepad]
    #63789 - 06/22/08 01:25 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

and as far as ventilation, a 35cfm pc fan blowing air in from the side straight at the plant.

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #63797 - 06/22/08 01:33 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Yep, you'll definitely want to get that replaced as soon as you can. The soft white won't give it enough blue light to keep it for stretching to look for it. You mentioned it was too small for how long it was growing, how long had it been growing (just out curiosity :wink:)?

Will you be growing more plants?

--------------------

Offlineyellownotepad
 User Gallery

#63805 - 06/22/08 01:43 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

i think the plant is about 6 or 7weeks old, but i don't know for sure. 

i will search for what the appropriate CFL is to use, but if someone wants to just tell me in here, i won't complain :smile:

i plan on growing more plants, but need to make a doctor visit in order to finish the process of getting my medical license before i get some clones.  i already own a 400w HPS light, 2'x2' ebb-flow grow system, and lots of nutrients.

Offlineyellownotepad
 User Gallery

#63806 - 06/22/08 01:47 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

oh and i found a marking on the bulb itself, color temp is 3000K

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #63814 - 06/22/08 01:59 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

yellownotepad said:
i will search for what the appropriate CFL is to use, but if someone wants to just tell me in here, i won't complain :smile:

A 23 watt is probably the lowest wattage you want, but check the lumens. At least 2000. It'll have to be daylight 6500k. :wink:

--------------------

Offlineyellownotepad
 User Gallery

Re: adopted a sickly baby with stunted growth and yellow leaves [Re: Sirius]
    #63818 - 06/22/08 02:12 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

alright.  so i want 2000 lumens worth of 6000-6500K light on this plant, within a couple inches of the top.  about how long should i wait  for the color to come back into the leaves?  and is it safe to say that the plant does not need more nutrients now that it is in the new and proper soil?

thanks sirius!

Offlineyellownotepad
 User Gallery

#64083 - 06/22/08 08:55 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

just installed a 26 watt 6500k bulb!  is it possible a mod could do something so i could just make this thread into my grow log?

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: adopted a sickly baby with stunted growth and yellow leaves (moved) [Re: yellownotepad]
    #64148 - 06/22/08 10:36 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

This thread was moved from Doctor's Diagnosis.

Reason:
moved by request

Offlineyellownotepad
 User Gallery

Re: adopted a sickly baby with stunted growth and yellow leaves (moved) [Re: coda]
    #64237 - 06/22/08 11:36 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

alright so this will now be my grow journal.

got 7 bag seeds from some orange crush my sister got (7 seeds out of 2 ozs).  hopefully they germinate, i'm no expert but they look a little smaller than seeds i have had in the past.

the super silver haze is now under 26 watt 6500k cfl running 24/7.  here are some better photos of that plant as of a few minutes ago:

Offlineyellownotepad
 User Gallery

Re: adopted a sickly baby with stunted growth and yellow leaves (moved) [Re: yellownotepad]
    #64526 - 06/23/08 12:14 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

some new growth is showing around the dead leaves' nodes!

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #64548 - 06/23/08 12:55 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Ahh dude, that is cool as hell. :bigweed:

With that rubbermaid tub, do you have a hole somewhere else, or another fan acting as an extractor? I think you were saying you were using that fan that shows to blow on them, just wondering if the air has a place to vent out as well.

Quote:

yellownotepad said:
alright.  so i want 2000 lumens worth of 6000-6500K light on this plant, within a couple inches of the top.  about how long should i wait  for the color to come back into the leaves?  and is it safe to say that the plant does not need more nutrients now that it is in the new and proper soil?

I'm not sure how long it would take, probably a couple days if the leaves were still healthy enough, and I think that the soil should have enough nutrients for it for awhile. :wink:

--------------------

Offlineyellownotepad
 User Gallery

Re: adopted a sickly baby with stunted growth and yellow leaves (moved) [Re: Sirius]
    #64562 - 06/23/08 01:24 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

for letting air escape, right now i have the lid suspended about 6 inches over the bin with some gaps between the foil shrouding to let O2 escape (CO2 heavier than O2 is my theory here, like a reverse monotub).

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #64758 - 06/23/08 07:33 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

yah, if that pc fan is fast enough it should be more then enough from that space.

Looks like your problems stemmed from lack of root space.  Happened to me my first grow.  Seedlings just yellowed and died.  Soon as i transplanted the last few seedlings in new pots they bounced back.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Offlineyellownotepad
 User Gallery

Re: adopted a sickly baby with stunted growth and yellow leaves (moved) [Re: coda]
    #64773 - 06/23/08 07:50 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

coda said:

Looks like your problems stemmed from lack of root space. 

not my problems! the previous owner did it!!  im just trying to fix it :smile:

Invisiblemel_lonta_tauda
Male User Gallery
Loc: the sun
    #65169 - 06/24/08 11:06 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

that's an awful lot of wiring there.  ya might wanna keep an eye on that before the house goes up in flames :shrug:

Offlineyellownotepad
 User Gallery

Re: adopted a sickly baby with stunted growth and yellow leaves (moved) [Re: mel_lonta_tauda]
    #65384 - 06/24/08 10:04 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

the wiring is fine, its just unused wires because im using a pc power supply to run the one fan. 

the plant looks literally almost identical to when i last posted photos, except i burned two of the fan leaves on accident when i was changing the bulb height because i let the bulb touch them for like 5 min.  how much longer should it take for the little new growth leaves to get bigger?

Offlineyellownotepad
 User Gallery

#68809 - 06/30/08 12:25 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

no pics for now since my roommate is out of town and his camera is way better than mine, but an update:  the leaves are all dark green now!  they have gotten bigger, the new growth is opening up and growing, and the leaves are all rigid and upright now!  i think this is a good sign :smile:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds