Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSplit
Stranger

First Time: Florida Outdoor Green Crack/Skunk #1
    #635208 - 08/19/12 07:58 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Hello all, this is my first post here and my main reason for joining. I've crept around various boards for a while reading and learning mostly when I had a question. Now though, I want to document my first grow here in hopes of learning from some of you experienced folks out there. For ease of read, I've linked all products and photos I refer too. Thanks in advance for reading and for any advice you may have!

I'm growing a cross between Green Crack and Skunk #1, or so I'm told. I've decided to grow a couple of plants in my backyard. Growing indoors isn't an option for me and I feel pretty safe growing a small number of plants in my yard, and I'm loving the idea of having free smoke, so I though, why not?

My Background (skip if tl;dr)
I have moderate experience growing, as I had a close friend in college that was an indoor grower and I learned a decent amount from him. But that was years ago, I forgot a lot, and I'm growing outdoor to boot. I've also grown various other things like tomatoes, watermelons, and flowers. That's about it.

My Goal
To overcome the odds of growing outdoors this late (mid August) in Florida and to grow some fantastic bud from TWO PLANTS. It will be for personal use and maybe a gift to my best friend to share the goodness :rasta:.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

The Weather
I know it's late to grow, but there is great weather here all the way up until late November when the temperature drops to 40's-60's. I'll have ample sun and rain, I'm not concerned about that. And the temperature will be 80's and 90's for another month and then will drop to 70's and 80's until mid/late November. I'm confident that with great care and attention that I can have a moderate harvest with small plants and great bud!

Germination
I chose five great looking seeds on August 10th to germinate using the Water Glass Method. After a day and a half, only one seed started to show it's sprout (forgot name). So I moved them to a container with wet tissues and covered. That turned out better and I got four successfully germinated seeds. Hopefully two of them will be female!

First Soil
On August 17th, I placed them in small containers until they broke ground (ignore the backwards order): Pic. And I started leaving them outside too. I was concerned that they weren't strong enough to handle the Florida summer afternoon heavy rainfall, so I monitored them closely and would bring them under outdoor shelter until the rain stopped. That's worked great so far.

Bugs
The first day outside, I noticed small mites (not Spider Mites) and ants around the plants. I've used Seven-5 Dust on veggies before, so I've started sprinkling it around the base of the small containers and the grass in the area. That has worked great and they were gone the next day. And tips here would be great.

Grow Container
Today (August 19th) at my local home improvement store, I found half of an old Jack Daniels Whiskey barrel that is a 26 gallon container. Pic

Set Up & Soil
I drilled several 1 inch holes in the bottom for drainage.
I then layered the bottom with Lava Rock to aid with drainage. And the container is set up on 6 inch pavers.

For soil, I mixed Jungle Growth's Growers Mix Professional with Peat Moss.

For fertilizer, I mixed a small amount of Osmocote Flower & Vegetable Plant Food
. I sorta followed directions based on what I know about the veggies listed in the instructions. Any advice for what to use going forward would be great.

I put Pine Bark Nuggets along the top of the soil after I planted my plants. I did this in hopes that it will create a more humid environment around the stems and top of the soil.

Water
Since germination (i used tap water), the seeds have sprouted up through the soil, I've been using rain water. I figured mother nature's minerals would be a good thing, but any advice here would be great too. My buddy in college used to use liquid fertilizer mixed with his water, so I'm open to change if it makes sense.

Pic of products I'm using.

Disguise
I'm mildly concerned that someone might smell the ganja when it's most pungent and look over my 8ft privacy fence. So, I've taken and plan to take these measures:

• I placed my container about 14ft away from the only fence I'm concerned about. That should help a bit, but I get great wind, so it may be carried off anyway.

• When I bought the whiskey barrel, I also bought a small Chocolate Mint plant, a small Rosemary plant, and two small flower plants. Pic of plants. These will visually disguise my babies for a little while, but the Mint and Rosemary should help keep away some bugs too.

• I've been growing some sort of Spanish pea bushes for a while. They are tall and slender and will later help disguise my pot plants.

• I plan to buy some Jasmine bushes and Gardenia trees when plants start to grow larger and the smell gets greater.

• If it's really bad, I'll buy a bunch of manure and put along the one fence and plant more Jasmine in it.

That's pretty much where I'm at right now, so I'm all ears as to what info you guys may have.

Oh, and here's a pic of my tallest sprouts: pic

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSplit
Stranger

Re: First Time: Florida Outdoor Green Crack/Skunk #1 [Re: Split]
    #636929 - 09/09/12 06:15 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Hey guys, sorry it's been so long since the last update, but there really hasn't been much to report except normal growth. My four plants are various heights: 5", 6", 6.5", and 7". I'll be updating with pics later tonight.

I'm starting to wonder about flowering. The days are getting shorter now, which I've been learning causes the plant to start flowering. Since they are so small, I doubt they will flower yet. I figured that they need another 3-4 weeks. Does that sound right?

Is there anything I need to lookout for or need to do at this point?

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #636952 - 09/09/12 09:44 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

They will flower regardless of their size, as long as the lighting changes to something close to 12/12

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

OfflineMiscusi
Grade 10
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Sunnyvale Trailer Park, C... Flag
Re: First Time: Florida Outdoor Green Crack/Skunk #1 [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #636973 - 09/10/12 12:22 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

North Florida we are at 11/13 now.  Depending on were you are you should get 8 weeks of growth in before its too cold, if your in south central fl then you got a bit longer, but lighting will be an issue as they will clearly start flowering soon.

--------------------

"You cant arrest me, im high I cant understand my rights!"

Nanook said:
" People learn differently. Some can observe and gather what they need, others need to do it and experience all the options. One of those options being: burning down a mini fridge. "

Anything posted by me related to cultivation or illegal activities is purely fictional. It is intended for educational or entertainment purposes only.

Please help support the fight for Medical Marijuana in Florida

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: First Time: Florida Outdoor Green Crack/Skunk #1 [Re: Miscusi]
    #636974 - 09/10/12 12:24 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Hey there!  Haven't seen ya in awhile.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineMiscusi
Grade 10
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Sunnyvale Trailer Park, C... Flag
    #637250 - 09/12/12 10:51 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
Hey there!  Haven't seen ya in awhile.

life has been crazy and i died and was revived and spent 8 weeks in the hospital

got a wound in my next from were they cut my throat to ventilate my closed airway.

it :feelsbadman:

--------------------

"You cant arrest me, im high I cant understand my rights!"

Nanook said:
" People learn differently. Some can observe and gather what they need, others need to do it and experience all the options. One of those options being: burning down a mini fridge. "

Anything posted by me related to cultivation or illegal activities is purely fictional. It is intended for educational or entertainment purposes only.

Please help support the fight for Medical Marijuana in Florida

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: First Time: Florida Outdoor Green Crack/Skunk #1 [Re: Miscusi]
    #637271 - 09/13/12 08:01 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Holy shit!  What the hell happened?

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineSplit
Stranger

#637571 - 09/17/12 06:18 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. I'm somewhere near where the Bucs play :wink:;-) and my babies just started flowering today! I can't believe it because they aren't that big at all. The tallest one is 14" which is female, thank God. But the are three are 11", 10", and 8.5".

What's crazy is the 14 incher showed the two white pistols a day or two ago (definitely a female), but the 8.5" just showed the pistols today. I'll update with pics when I take them in the morning.

The only one that hasn't showed yet is the 10 incher. She's not showing pollen sacs or pistols yet.

I pulled the 11 incher this evening. The pollen sacs where obvious and I didn't want to wait any longer.

What do you guys think? Is this normal?

Oh, and there is one catch to this: I have a really bright street lamp on the other side of my fence, which is maybe 30 feet from my plants. I noticed about a week ago that the plants were still very lit up at night, so I started covering them right before dusk, probably 45mins before dark. Could that maybe have caused them to flower early? If so, what should I do?

Edited by Split (09/17/12 06:21 PM)

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #637602 - 09/17/12 10:38 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Covering them up can definitely cause them to flower.  The solution is to let them flower.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineSplit
Stranger

#638829 - 09/29/12 06:30 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Sorry it's taken so long for me to get these pictures up. Each time I've planned to do it, something came up or I just plain forgot. :crazy2:

Anyway here is the biggest one, right now she's 24.5":

Here's the smaller one, she's 19":

I've also started a Super Skunk #1 seedling under two 68 watt fluorescent lights. I'll take pictures of her once the sprout is a few inches tall. I plan on attempting a winter grow with this one. If it gets too cold outside, I can bring her indoors for the night, and if it's really cold then maybe I'll just leave her in. Not sure yet.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate