Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinescooter
Stranger
Is this setup possible?
    #629507 - 06/26/12 08:52 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Hey everyone.  I'm absolutely brand-new to this site.  I just got a 4x4 grow tent and some supplies from a close friend and was wondering what kind of feedback I could get from this group.  I have a 1000w bulb + ballast (the ballast is not adjustable, should I get adjustable?), a good hood and 2 fans that attach to the tent.  1 is 4" and the other is 6".  I have a ton of nutrients and I'm not too worried about the "hardware" needed, mostly just to see if this is even realistic.

Here's the kicker-

The closet I want to grow in is 5'4" by 4'10".  I was wondering if it would be possible considering heat issues.  The tent has plenty of free room to be moved around, I'm just concerned for when the fans and ballast are in there.  Is there any kind of fan setup that is known to work in a very enclosed environment?  If needed, I can run a duct to the outside of the closet into the room/attic/basement.

I took a hydrometer reading over the last 24 hours and here are the highs/lows:

72.3 F and 49%
84.2 F and 62%

Now honestly, this is my first time doing this and I'm completely clueless.  So if you have any suggestions at all, I'm all ears.  Thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing back from all of you!

(I have read about LED lights... are they a better option for such an enclosed space?)

I can also supply pics if needed.  I have the tent set up in there but haven't put in the light or anything.

Edited by scooter (06/26/12 09:00 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Is this setup possible? [Re: scooter]
    #629513 - 06/26/12 10:37 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

All you need to do is run ducting up into the attic. Problem solved.

No need for a switchable ballast.  Just run a 1000.  And don't even think about LED.  Go with what you already have man.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Is this setup possible? [Re: scooter]
    #630011 - 07/01/12 05:04 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

LED works great, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Most people are basing their opinions on either a cheap fixture they bought, or cheap fixtures people complained about online. The Non-led people have little to no actual experience with a quality fixture. They can be a little tricky picking one out but it's a worthy investment when you get one from a reliable dealer. Dont let the croonies tell you they cost too much to be worth it. It's an investment that some people cant seem to understand.  Also in terms of performance, don't listen to anyone who doesn't actually use LED. Many people don't realize that LED is continuously being upgraded, doubling in power every 36 months, faster than computing power. I agree that older fixtures gave the led's a bad name, but people need to realize that was the very beginning of using LED's for grow lights. the technology is there now, but the price is still in early development. ~$2000 for an area that size, running at about 800w total.  No bulbs/balasts to deal with, less heat, less watering, less electricity, less fire hazard, good quality buds.  Another thing people dont like about led is from the marketing they have been using with wattage, and excessive claims of performance compared to HID.

They emit heat, but mostly upward, so the top needs to be vented otherwise if it's sealed you can get up to the 90's. 1000w HID is like running a 800w heater and 200w of useable light. Plus with the ban on incandescent I suspect that bulb makers will need to offset their losses by charging more for the grow bulbs. HID is aging technology, LED is the new wave of the future.

For your tent, get a CAP AIR-1 temperature/humidity controller. I have just the temp, but humidity keeps going up. That will turn on 2 devices (fans) on the same circuit when temp/humidity rise above the set point, AIR-2 controls 2 separate devices, one for your fan, one for your dehumidifier. Air-3 is air-1 plus CO2 controls. Stay away from titan brand, I've heard nothing but bad things, their timers are absolutely retarded.

Afgoo

Chemdog

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

OfflineMaestro
Strange
Loc: Kiev, Ukraine
Re: Is this setup possible? [Re: phychotron]
    #630017 - 07/01/12 09:22 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

So 2000$ to whaste 200 watts less electricity? Wheres the savings? Thats like an extra 10$ a month

--------------------
I am Thread Killer.

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Is this setup possible? [Re: Maestro]
    #630023 - 07/01/12 11:28 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

first off 1000w bulbs use more than 1000w, in addition they require more cooling (why create excess heat just to have to get rid of it with an air conditioner?), bulbs wear/burn out and you continuously need to buy them, whereas LED's are good for 50,000 hours, and most reputable led dealers offer 3+ yr warranty. That's over 11 years of 12 hours a day. cheap hps @ $30/bulb @ 2/yr your paying $660 in bulbs alone if your buying the cheapest. LED might need a new ballast from time to time, but they are fairly cheap simple to replace. They also plug right into 220 if you have it. and that '$10/month' over that 11yr span is $1320, a conservative under-estimate not counting for inflation or cooling devices. So with say $300 for the cheapest setup your looking at $2280 over that period, but the savings would be much much more.

I've never used hid, is the cheapest equipment reliable and good for making the bomb nuggets? Bud quality is also better with led, and that is invaluable on its own. I have never had a problem with growing quality bud, and I believe its mostly to do with the led. Simple to setup and operate, LED is what is going to revolutionize the personal garden. For the cost of about 8oz you get a good quality single/set of LED's that are capable of producing more than that on their first run. Oh, and I feel perfectly safe leaving my house for a week at a time. I would not feel comfortable leaving a hot bulb on that long.  Plants can touch the lamp without getting too damaged, but generally they need to be 18-30" otherwise your buds turn white on top

800w is about maximum before going into overkill, there are other fixtures that are more efficient. It takes about 60-70% the labeled wattage of HID to match, which should go down in the future as technology advances.  What's great about them is that you can buy one at a time until you've got the configuration you were looking for.

People are going to look back and laugh about the ol'times when they had to grow with HID.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Is this setup possible? [Re: phychotron] * 1
    #630062 - 07/01/12 03:02 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

phychotron said:

People are going to look back and laugh about the ol'times when they had to grow with HID.

Yes, but they aren't there yet.  At this point they are not at a competing level with HID.  In the future they but not at this point.

Give me a set space and I can pull a better yield with better pot ever time compared to your LED grow.

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Is this setup possible? [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #630083 - 07/01/12 05:39 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

How many led grows have you actually done, when, and with which fixture? Led is there in terms of quality buds and yield, you just need to make sure to get a decent fixture. the cheap Chinese crap and the bullshit marketing comparing 90w ufo's to 400w hps has left a lot of skeptics, and for good reason, their lamps suck and everyone who buys one finds that out and bitches about it online.  There were quite a few people in the rush to sell as many of those things as possible in the early days, with cheap shitty components and little testing to see what spectrum was best. A few reputable dealers have emerged and have been advancing the fixtures fairly rapidly in quality and overall design with a broader spectrum and quality high output diodes as a standard. 

I agree that led is limited in it's coverage area, which is why I suggest using a larger quantity of lower wattage fixtures and spread them out. it's kind of like how some people say two 600w bulbs are better than one 1000w.

--------------------

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #630085 - 07/01/12 05:43 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quality is ok.  Yield is not there.  It just isn't.  HID's outgrow them every time.

I forget the brand of the ones I used.  Bought them from my grow store and sold them after the grow. 

They will get there someday.  But they aren't there yet.

--------------------

-niteowl

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #630086 - 07/01/12 05:46 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

And if they are as good as what you are trying to claim then all the growers in Holland and throughout California would be switching to them.  Which they aren't.

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #630093 - 07/01/12 06:22 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I have never seen a quality fixture at a hydro store. I've seen a few, but they were all overpriced and underpowered. If you didn't hook it up to a kill-a-watt meter you might have been drawing half power of what they claim, because they take a .35 mA '1-watt' led times quantity of diodes. some claim to be using the '3-watt' diode, but are using the 3w-3, which is just three 1-watt diodes in one. Those are the one's that have a problem of LED's not having penetration power, and people tend to focus on that argument. the beam angle on the diode can help focus the light downward and increase penetration on those lower wattage chips. 

what kind of yield are you talking about in terms of grams per watt?

People who grow bud risk getting busted and don't need to invest in equipment that may be seized.  Just because the crowd doesn't flock to it doesn't mean it's not good. It cost much more to setup a large grow with led, but it has been done. In addition, early/bad info is carrying in people's memories, while not stopping to realize how fast led technology advances...

Why buy a lexus when a kia will get you around town... right?

--------------------

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #630095 - 07/01/12 06:36 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I'm not saying it's not advancing.  It's just not where they need to be for those of us that are wanting to pull in a yield that's worth the time and effort we put into it.

I'm pulling 2 pounds per 1000 watt light.  I would like to see you do the same amount in the same amount of area.

I'm not going to compare gram per watt.  We can compare grow area.  Because that's what you're going to be looking at.

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #630097 - 07/01/12 06:53 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

my last major grow did 29 oz in a 4x6 area with different plants, pulling 1063w according to a kill-a-watt meter. I could have got a few more oz's but i cropped the blueberry much too early, and that was three nice scrog plants and a 5' tall one. I was just trying to make space as well as being fed up with a 12+ week plant.

--------------------

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #630098 - 07/01/12 06:55 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Exactly.  In a 4x6 area I can pull double that.  They just don't have the yield that HID has.

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #630099 - 07/01/12 07:06 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

so why didn't you say 4lbs with a 1000w light?

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #630100 - 07/01/12 07:11 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

oh and it was a really shoddy grow, many of the plants were of different sizes and I was on the first time growing those strains.

--------------------

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #630104 - 07/01/12 07:36 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Because I would put up 2 lights in that amount of area.

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #630106 - 07/01/12 08:07 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

what method do you use? sog, scrog, lst... ? I have plant limits to conform to and have been experimenting with lst and topping. Every strain is different and I'm still searching for my keepers. this chemdog is really good but I want to try some it's derivatives to compare, such as the Chem D Bx3.

--------------------

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #630113 - 07/01/12 09:17 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I top and LST.  I grow 2 plants per 1000 watt light, 2 plants per 35 gallon soil pot.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflinePilze
Funky Monk

#630221 - 07/03/12 07:32 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

how do you live in a medical state and your hydro store doesnt have quality light fixtures?

and yea, you can't argue anything about HID vs LED.

HID always wins. i dont know of any professional growers use LEDs, including universities.

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Is this setup possible? [Re: Pilze]
    #630233 - 07/03/12 09:03 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Pilze said:
how do you live in a medical state and your hydro store doesnt have quality light fixtures?

and yea, you can't argue anything about HID vs LED.

HID always wins. i dont know of any professional growers use LEDs, including universities.

When did I say that?

--------------------

-niteowl

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom