Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates, CBD Topicals   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleAcidic_Sloth
Acidic poly-Sided Di-slothamide
 User Gallery

Loc: ainrofilac
Chicken Tikka Masala (copypasta) * 1
    #620580 - 04/28/12 06:04 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

from last wednesday april 18, 2012:

CHICKEN TIKKA MASALA

Ythair gave me a recipe a while back and I finally decided to make it tonight to share with my family (they were all completely unexposed to indian food and this is a great introductory dish). Surprisingly even my brother was going to be here for the night so it was even more fitting for me to slave away in the kitchen for 2 1/2 hours to make sustenance for the people I love; it's not often we all get to have dinner together. Complete success. My dad smoked a bowl and passed out on the couch after telling me I should cook every night. I am definitely not cooking like this every night from now on but I might make an effort to do it more often than I currently do.

INGREDIENTS
  • 3 whole (to 4) Chicken Breasts
  • Kosher Salt
  • Ground Coriander Seed
  • Cumin (to taste)
  • 1/2 cup Plain Yogurt
  • 6 Tablespoons Butter
  • 1 whole Large Onion
  • 4 cloves Garlic
  • 1 piece (approximately 2 Inches) Chunk Fresh Ginger
  • Garam Masala (I had a hard time finding this, you can always make your own if you can't find it and have a decent spice stock)
  • 1 can (28 Ounce) Diced Tomatoes
  • Sugar
  • 1-1/2 cup Heavy Cream
  • 2 cups Basmati Rice

OPTIONAL:

• Fresh Cilantro
  • Chili Peppers (I used Serrano Peppers)
  • Turmeric
  • Cayenne Pepper

Garam Masala Mix:
  • 1 tablespoon coriander; ground
  • 1 tablespoon cumin; ground
  • 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper; ground
  • 1 tablespoon fennel seeds; ground
  • 1 tablespoon ginger; ground
  • 1 tablespoon cardamom; ground
  • 1 tablespoon nutmeg; ground
  • 1 TEASPOON cloves; ground

DIRECTIONS:

Season your chicken breasts with some kosher salt, coriander, and cumin. Coat the breasts completely with the plain yogurt (it rubs the yogurt on its skin).
Place chicken on a metal cooling rack over a foil-lined baking sheet and place it about 10-12 inches below a broiler for 5-7 minutes per side or until it has
some nice blackened edges, but be careful so as not to totally char the chicken. Remove from oven when done.

Okay, so you need to dice your onion, mince your garlic, and peel and grate roughly a 1x2 inch chunk of ginger; might as well go ahead and chop up your
peppers as well and set them aside for later (I find it easier to keep track of things if I do all my prep stuff at the same time, saves me from doing a last minute
scramble to chop something up that I forgot). Anyway, in a large skillet melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat; toss in your onions and sauté those
babies until they are slightly browned; also about a tablespoon of salt. Add the garlic and ginger to your onions and maybe another tablespoon of salt if you
want and reduce your heat to MEDIUM. Time to add 3 tablespoons of Garam Masala and those chili peppers I told you to chop up earlier -- now is the time to
add them for some heat.

Once all that is done you are going to add your can of diced tomatoes; continue cooking and stirring, scraping the bottom of the pan to deglaze it. Add about
1 tablespoon sugar, it'll reduce to acidity of the tomatoes. I also added a good dose of cayenne pepper here for some more heat. Simmer for a few minutes
and start making your Basmati rice.

If you do not have a rice cooker, cook your rice as usual (bring 2 cups rice and 3 cups water to a boil then cover and reduce heat to a simmer for 12-14 minutes)
but make sure that you use Basmati rice, adding 4 tablespoons of butter, 1 teaspoon of salt, 1 tablespoon ground tumeric. If you do have a rice cooker then
you own a godsend that I am not fortunate enough to possess.

[I forgot to take a picture of my rice! :facepalm: To make up for it here is a picture of one of my dogs -- he thought it smelled amazing too and wouldn't stop eyeballing my chickens]

Fuck it. Carrying on, your Tikka Masala sauce should have had a chance to simmer for a while now so we're going to add in 1 1/2 cups of heavy cream and stir it
up real good-like. Chop your chicken boobs into chunks and stir them into the Tikka Masala sauce as well. A handful of chopped fresh cilantro goes great here but
it is completely optional.

Serve that delicious rice I forgot to take pictures of with the Chicken Tikka Masala on top; garnish with a pinch more cilantro. Eat that bitch up like there is no tomorrow.
I decided to go back for seconds to eat while I watched a couple episodes of Dexter.

This will be even better reheated for breakfast tomorrow.

--------------------
-- Accept my heart warming gift of TREE SCRATCHIES!!! I absolve thee!! --

JaP: 30,000 lines of gay, cock, and fag can't be wrong
Ped: only in #shroomery is "smuggle opium in her ass" followed by "i don't want shitty opium" which is followed by " *** Joins: PENISSQUAD"
--
JaP: What would this place be without random sluts?
JaP: Nothing, I tell you.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinekyuzo
Stranger Than Fiction

Re: Chicken Tikka Masala (copypasta) [Re: Acidic_Sloth] * 1
    #620665 - 04/29/12 10:28 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I love Tikka Masala, and this seems to be a simple enough recipe.  So thanks

PSInteresting enough it's more of a British dish, than anything

InvisibleAcidic_Sloth
 User Gallery

Re: Chicken Tikka Masala (copypasta) [Re: kyuzo] * 1
    #620705 - 04/29/12 03:39 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

very simple if a little time consuming. a lot of great meals take time though.

--------------------

Ped: only in #shroomery is "smuggle opium in her ass" followed by "i don't want shitty opium" which is followed by " *** Joins: PENISSQUAD"
--

Offlinekyuzo
Stranger Than Fiction

#620714 - 04/29/12 03:56 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Some tikka masala recipes can get complex, and often call for spices, and cooking techniques, that can be hard to accomplish without a well stocked Indian kitchen

PS I was surprised you had such issues tracking down Garam Masala though. 

Edited by kyuzo (04/29/12 03:58 PM)

InvisibleAcidic_Sloth
 User Gallery

#620773 - 04/29/12 11:24 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

none of the grocery stores here carry it, i had to hit up an Asian market hole in the wall place and even the owner said there isn't a high demand for it and i was lucky he had some in stock.

--------------------

--

Offlinekyuzo
Stranger Than Fiction

#620798 - 04/30/12 06:25 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Acidic_Sloth said:
none of the grocery stores here carry it, i had to hit up an Asian market hole in the wall place and even the owner said there isn't a high demand for it and i was lucky he had some in stock.

it's because that's like going to an Italian market and asking for Italian seasoning. It's pretty much just a generic spice blend that every Indian mom has a variation of.

Odd that the supermarkets didn't carry it though.  Even my local joint stocks it, and I'm in the middle of BFE

InvisibleAcidic_Sloth
 User Gallery

#620848 - 04/30/12 12:52 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

yeah, it confused me too. would have just made my own but i would have had to spend a bit on the spices i didn't have in stock plus all the other supplies i was getting; would have made for a very expensive meal.

i think it might have something to do with living in a town full of whites and mexicans.

--------------------

--

Offlinekyuzo
Stranger Than Fiction

#620861 - 04/30/12 02:58 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Acidic_Sloth said:
yeah, it confused me too. would have just made my own but i would have had to spend a bit on the spices i didn't have in stock plus all the other supplies i was getting; would have made for a very expensive meal.

Yeah, that's the big issue with cooking Indian food.  It takes a totally foreign set of spices and ingredients, and many can be super hard to find outside of a major city

Quote:

Acidic_Sloth said:i think it might have something to do with living in a town full of whites and mexicans.

Don't worry, I can't find any ingredients for my Paella here, either.  Pretty much anything beyond corn and ketchup I'm SOL

Offlineremix
grammer natze

#620876 - 04/30/12 03:43 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Acidic_Sloth said:
i think it might have something to do with living in a town full of whites and mexicans.

I know that feel, bro.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates, CBD Topicals   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder