Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineghost
Selecting a mother plant
    #607980 - 02/02/12 07:18 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Hola mi amigos,

When flowering plants to determine sex for clones, what size and/or length of time should I wait before flowering them?

Could I stick them into 12/12 as soon as they develop their first set of fan leaves?

Also, about how long does the process take to determine sex, then reveg them for cloning? A rough estimate would be very helpful, thanks!

edit:  If anyone has grown white widow outdoors, how prone is it to mold/etc.  My packet says it should be indoor only and I live in a fairly humid climate.

Is it a bad idea to grow an indoor variety outdoors?

Edited by ghost (02/02/12 07:21 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Loc: Bumfuckt Egypt
Re: Selecting a mother plant [Re: ghost]
    #607989 - 02/02/12 08:06 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Any plant *should* be able to be grown either outdoor or indoor. Some are going to flourish in one or the other, but both are compatible - remember, this IS a plant we're talking about, it started outdoors haha.

That said, you could flower them 12/12 from seed. I don't suggest it if you're looking to reveg them, but it is a possibility. So to answer your question of "when can I", I'd say immediately.

However, I have noticed in my somewhat limited experience that plants don't like to show sex before their third or so set of leafs. Whether that means full fan leafs or counting the odd "3" ones they pop out with, I'm not sure.

At any rate, I'd say veg them for at least 2 weeks to get some substantial growth, flop over, it should show within a week, and then flop back. Either direction (flower or reveg) I'd say shouldn't take more than a weeks time. The reveg might take a bit longer, as its not completely natural for a plant to go through that process, so it doesn't have much of a built in response to that.

So, I'd say from seed, that you'd have to set aside right around 5 or so weeks to do the sexing and revegging process.

Good luck!

--------------------
Of course it's happening inside your head.
Why should that mean it isn't real?

Offlinecsmandpking
Shroomer
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Shroomery
Re: Selecting a mother plant [Re: RasJeph]
    #608081 - 02/02/12 02:28 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

why not veg out your potential mothers, until there is enough foliage to take clones. While they are rooting put the mother in 12/12.

I personally am not an impatient person. sooo, I just wait til clones are rooted and sex them.
usually start 3 seeds. Veg them for 2-4 weeks(faster in a hydro set-up). Take my clones and hope one or 2 sets are females. toss the males.
Just be sure to keep them well labeled of which is which.

Offlineghost
Re: Selecting a mother plant [Re: csmandpking]
    #608198 - 02/03/12 08:38 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks fellas!

I'm not so much impatient but have limited time and resources.

I like the idea of taking clones before sexing.. really good idea man!

Offlinecsmandpking
Shroomer
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Selecting a mother plant [Re: ghost]
    #608241 - 02/03/12 04:45 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Your very welcome!
Trust me though, not at all my idea. Im sure you could find more sources than you have appendages.

OfflineTrimbole
Grower
Male User Gallery

Re: Selecting a mother plant [Re: csmandpking]
    #608334 - 02/04/12 01:18 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

csmandpking said:
why not veg out your potential mothers, until there is enough foliage to take clones. While they are rooting put the mother in 12/12.

I personally am not an impatient person. sooo, I just wait til clones are rooted and sex them.
usually start 3 seeds. Veg them for 2-4 weeks(faster in a hydro set-up). Take my clones and hope one or 2 sets are females. toss the males.
Just be sure to keep them well labeled of which is which.

Do you get much seed content in end product?

Offlinecsmandpking
Shroomer
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Selecting a mother plant [Re: Trimbole]
    #608412 - 02/04/12 10:50 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I never get seeds unless im seriously busy when they are sexing.
So heres how its goes.

Start 1-5 seeds.
Veg them for a month, or until there are enough branch sites to take your desired number of clones.(always give yourself a few more than you actually need. Survival of the fittest) We will call this desired number of clones "X"

So take X number of clones from each, unsexed, plant. Be sure to label them well.
:::: Here you have a choice:::::::::::::::::
  Sex the respective mothers or sex the clones. I like to keep my potential mothers growing right, so I choose to sex the clones. Sexing your clones take a bit longer to find out, due to needing them to root and grow a bit.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Which ever you decide to sex, watch them closely.
After you flip to 12/12 keep an eye on all your little potential girls.
Keep them well labeled, and you only need to watch one clone out of each batch(Batch meaning one set of clones from one mother)

If one clone in a batch shows male sex. Kill it and all its siblings including the mother. well father.... lol. Its male and will always produce male flowers

If one clone in a batch shows female sex. covet and love them for they will bring you happiness. The mother this clone came from is female and will always produce female clones.

Sorry, I hope I explained it well enough

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies