Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecafl316
MshizzleWizzle
Male User Gallery
Loc: US
High Temp. emergency pls Help!
    #606714 - 01/25/12 11:33 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Okay so I have been getting things in the mail this week and just got the last thing i needed, my exhaust. Here is my setup. I got a grow tent that is 20"x36"x62".
I got a 400w metal halide, and I just installed an exhaust that is 190 cfm. I don't have an air-cooled hood (and i know that will help but can't get that right now), so I have the exhaust sucking up from right under the light, out the tent, and thru a carbon filter. For my intake I ran a short duct out the tent to the outside of my closet door because the tent is in a small closet. Anyways just closed it up to test it out, and I got a 4 day old seedling to take care of, came back and it was 95 degrees. WTF am I gonna do! What can I do? Any suggestions? My baby blue venom needs the help..

here is a picture if it helps

Edited by cafl316 (01/25/12 11:39 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Loc: No where ville, USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: High Temp. emergency pls Help! [Re: cafl316]
    #606718 - 01/25/12 11:55 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

so I have the exhaust sucking up from right under the light, out the tent, and thru a carbon filter. For my intake I ran a short duct out the tent to the outside of my closet

Well for starters, you want your carbon filter inside at the top of the tent, they are meant to be pulled thur, not blown thru.
Hook fan to filter and blow the hot air out of the room
Something to remember is heat rises.

Where does the exhaust go? out of the house or into the same room as the intake?
I always recommend pulling in air from outside the house.

Offlinecafl316
MshizzleWizzle
Male User Gallery
Re: High Temp. emergency pls Help! [Re: Stoneth]
    #606720 - 01/26/12 12:03 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

My only problem is I got a small tent, so I don't really got much room to hang the filter inside. That picture just barely cuts the roof off, so once the plant gets bigger there will be even less room, would a hps put off less heat?
Anyways my exhaust goes besides my tent also in the closet. The intake sucks air right out my closet to a good open area. I had considered building a device to attach my intake to my window. But its really not the best area to do that, its to easily seen. So far adjusting ducts I have only lowered it to 93 :frown:

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #606724 - 01/26/12 12:19 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

With 400 watts you're not going to want to let the plant or plants get over three foot tall.  And no the HPS isn't going to run cooler.
You need to get the exhaust out away from that room.
I've done many grows in a tent that size and smaller with a 400, in fact I'm running a 600 now in a room not much bigger than yours now.
The filter isn't going to work blowing thru it.
And if you're exhausting and intaking from the same room, then that's a problem in itself.  You're just recycling hot air.

Offlinecafl316
MshizzleWizzle
Male User Gallery
    #606727 - 01/26/12 12:26 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Im exhausting beside the tent in the closet. I am intaking from outside the closet to a well ventilated area. Due to where I am I had to get a small tent to fit a small closet. So the exhaust really has to stay where it is in my closet, but that should be okay cause my intake isn't coming from in my closet. Now I could be wrong, but from everything I have read online they suggest the way I set up my carbon filter for someone using a small tent. Do you honestly think it would make a difference with heat? Have you tried it? I'm not trying to be a dick, just to me it doesn't make sense how which way the air goes through the filter should affect heat. But I don't have experience with this I could be wrong

Just an idea, would swapping my exhaust around and turning it into a mega fan aiming right on my plant maybe help? Right now using my filter is the least of my worries, I just need to cool my room down

Edited by cafl316 (01/26/12 12:31 AM)

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #606728 - 01/26/12 12:36 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

The filter won't do it's job that way, nothing to do with the heat, but the smell it's designed to remove.  And yes it makes a huge difference which way the air goes thru.
So you're exhausting in the closet with the tent.
There's your problem in a nutshell.
You have to get the heat out, and away from the tent.
You're just heating the outside of the tent, which in turn is raising the temps inside the tent.

I'm not trying to be a dick either, jsut trying to help you fix your issues.

Offlinecafl316
MshizzleWizzle
Male User Gallery
    #606730 - 01/26/12 12:49 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I will see tomorrow if I can possibly fit the filter in there and keep the exhaust on the outside to save room. See if that helps to start. Only question I have now is until I get that done is do you have a suggestion on what to hang the filter with?

Just did some upgrading, I am now intaking from a window. Its on the night cycle and its 81 degree outside and thats keeping my grow area at 79. But the real test will be tonight when the light it back on and it cools off outside. I'll Let you know how it turns out. I still plan to try hanging my filter in the tent, I am just really concerned with first fixing the heat issue is all and I feel like that will help with smell more then heat and I am not to worried about smell..YET that is lol

Edited by cafl316 (01/26/12 11:59 AM)

Offlinecafl316
MshizzleWizzle
Male User Gallery
    #606812 - 01/26/12 10:26 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Well Just got home from work. 100 fuckin degrees in my tent AGHHHGGGHG GRRRr I am getting so frustrated. Just put about $350 into upgrading for a better grow and now it seems like its gonna turn out worse. Its a warm night, 74 degrees outside, I guess all I can do is hope its better when it gets cooler which is tomorrow night. Damnit im mad right now!

InvisibleNanook
I CANT SEE
Male

Loc: The Frozen Tundra Flag
    #606817 - 01/26/12 10:50 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

You need to stop pulling warm air in from outside and replace your intake at the window with an AC unit. Then let your tent intake from the room with it's bottom flaps open or a short bit of duct to stop light leaks. Then put that filter in the top of the tent, plop the fan up there and run your exhaust out the tent, out the closet, and out a window, all with duct-work. Now the air entering the tent will be chilled by the AC, pulled over the plants, heated by the light, scrubbed of smell by the filter, and pushed by the fan out of the house.

I hope you can apply this to your situation, it sounds like you live in a hot climate which means your temps will only get higher as the year goes on. Unless you're in the southern hemisphere?

--------------------

the spirit of Nanook

1400W 1st log

3000W 2nd log (current)

Edited by Nanook (01/26/12 10:53 PM)

Offlinecafl316
MshizzleWizzle
Male User Gallery
Re: High Temp. emergency pls Help! [Re: Nanook]
    #606843 - 01/27/12 12:04 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I live in an apartment so I cannot put in a window unit. Is there other small ac units for cooling air in a small space?
It is hot here, but typically at night right now its 50's on an average night, today was just hotter. But I have zipped myself into my tent even and I swear my passive intake pulls air in so weak compared to how powerful the exhaust is (with my filter on or off). I have duct taped all the vents to see if making it more airtight would create a more powerful intake and still not really. Idk for sure but maybe I got something wrong with my intake, cause I feel like it should be stronger but I am new with ventilation. Is the power between the exhaust and intake usually a big difference?

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #606844 - 01/27/12 12:06 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Then put that filter in the top of the tent, plop the fan up there and run your exhaust out the tent, out the closet, and out a window

If he'd do that alone, I bet he'd see a big difference in temps.
It's 72 degrees here, and I'm running a 600 watt hps in a 2 foot by 3 foot at around 6 foot tall, and it's only 75 inside the tent.
Tho I'm running a 6 inch inline fan at around 540 cfms and an air cooled hood.

--------------------
:getstoned:

Offlinecafl316
MshizzleWizzle
Male User Gallery
    #606847 - 01/27/12 12:27 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Do you have a suggestion on what to hang it with? I was at home depot today but didn't find anything I thought would work well. Like I said I do plan to try hanging it, but thats if there is even going to be room with my light. Either way though I appreciate the suggestion and plan to attempt hanging it

Im temporarily rigging it up their with a belt right now to test it out. Do you think the exhaust being in out the tent matters.
update: With filter in tent and exhaust out of tent I got the temps down to 88. Do you think trying to put the exhaust in the tent will help or that wont matter. Right now I just got a short duct running out the tent to the exhaust. Then it continues to push it through more duct to an outside window

Edited by cafl316 (01/27/12 09:13 AM)

InvisibleNanook
I CANT SEE
Male

#607132 - 01/28/12 11:25 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Chains and 's' hooks, bungee cords, rope, duct straps. All of which should have been at the HD.

And yes, it would make a difference having the fan in the tent. Each inch of duct between the fan and the filter will reduce the efficiency. You want the fan attached directly to the filter if possible. You also want the filter as high as possible because heat rises. Your intake should be as low as possible. It may also help to open the intake more, or add more intakes. These can just be the open flaps or vents on the bottom of the side walls.

--------------------

the spirit of Nanook

1400W 1st log

3000W 2nd log (current)

Offlinephrostbyte
Hydro Grower

#607269 - 01/29/12 04:34 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I used bungee cords to hang my filter. 

Offlinecafl316
MshizzleWizzle
Male User Gallery
Re: High Temp. emergency pls Help! [Re: phrostbyte]
    #608417 - 02/05/12 12:37 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Okay, so now I got my filter attached directly to my fan all at the top of my tent, in my tent of course. Then a small amount of duct runs the hot air out a door into a separate room of the house. Now my temps are still not what I would like to see ive been experimenting now with sticking my intake duct near an ac vent and near an outside window. What Im wondering is what would be best of these two options. Should I seal up my tent as much as possible so my intake duct is my only source of new air and it sucks in cooler air more powerful. Or should I open up my vents and allow more air to flow in from different areas around the bottom of my tent? Also is it better to not even use any duct for my intake? Or should I use duct on my intake? And would length of duct on the intake warm the air or anything?

InvisibleNanook
I CANT SEE
Male

#608461 - 02/05/12 02:09 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

If you have a source of chilled air (the AC) I would try that first as my only intake.

You could benefit from sealing the tent as much as possible because your fan may be sucking air through the tent, higher than the level of your intake, which would cause some of the warm air to be bypassed by the fan and remain in the tent, causing your temps to rise.

Just think about it, your light is making heat. You want cool air to replace the heat from the light. Think in terms of volumes of air and picture how you're going to get that cool air to replace the hot air. Really, you have to experiment as much as possible. Change only one thing at a time and wait at least an hour to see an effect on the temp. Make sure your tent is all closed up when judging the effect of the change you made, the way it would be if you were gone or something, and keep an eye on it.

Also don't worry if you can't get temps below 85F with no vented hood and no AC directly in the tent. 85F is not ideal, it is however, better than 90-100F. I have grown plenty of good weed with temps in the 85F range.

If you still have trouble, you may need a vented hood.

--------------------

the spirit of Nanook

1400W 1st log

3000W 2nd log (current)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies