Home | Community | Message Board

Royal Queen Seeds Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSikue
Stranger
Soon to be cultivator
    #602371 - 12/21/11 01:50 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

This website is a lot like the shroomery....

well anyway, pretty much learned everything I know about mushrooms cultivation from shroomery. and its time for me to expand  :psychsplit:

I want to grow a few plants for personal use- and I was wondering if the grow kits they have online are any good? or should I just go to a store and pick up lights ect, I am coming onto some really good seeds soon so i wanted to get this started.

Any links or information would be loved!

peace :peace:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinephrostbyte
Hydro Grower

Re: Soon to be cultivator [Re: Sikue]
    #602382 - 12/21/11 05:43 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Can't speak for any grow kits out there...  Only advice I could give is make sure you have decent amount of cash to get started. as you will soon find that it costs a bunch more than you thought to grow some personal.  The thing about that is once you buy the supplies right for the first grow.  The next grows are pretty much already paid for and if you do it right it's well worth the money in the long run.

How much room do you have to work with?

How stealth does it have to be?

Is smell a major issue?

How much money did you have to work with?

Offlinesveumy
seeker of enlightenment
Male User Gallery

Loc: its cold
Re: Soon to be cultivator [Re: phrostbyte]
    #602422 - 12/21/11 10:32 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

When I started my first grow I tried to go DIY on everything.  That was a huge mistake.  I feel that if u spend the money up front on Lighting and ventilation u will be doing pretty well.    A good ph pen and tds pen are a good investment imo.  Also any literature u can fine ie. Grow bibles are great reading material and excellent for quick reference later on.  Phrostbytes questions are an excellent way to get u in the right frame of mind and I am sure there are others here who can help with brand specifics if u need it.

Offlinewire5
Awesome Possum

Loc: "The sticks"
Re: Soon to be cultivator [Re: sveumy]
    #602437 - 12/22/11 01:18 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

sveumy said:
When I started my first grow I tried to go DIY on everything.  That was a huge mistake.  I feel that if u spend the money up front on Lighting and ventilation u will be doing pretty well.    A good ph pen and tds pen are a good investment imo.  Also any literature u can fine ie. Grow bibles are great reading material and excellent for quick reference later on.  Phrostbytes questions are an excellent way to get u in the right frame of mind and I am sure there are others here who can help with brand specifics if u need it.

I beg to differ on the DIY.

To add to phrostbyte's list

How much do you want to grow?

How much space?

Is this a one time shits and giggles thing or do you plan to try again?

--------------------
In order to grow good weed you need to be part carpenter, electrician, plumber, biologist, geneticist, chemist, and very willing to get dirty.

I've been working with power tools since I was 8, my dad is an electrical engineer who owned a 280 gal fish tank, and I studied biology with a specialty in genetics. Getting dirty comes naturally. I think my parents inadvertently trained me to be a weed grower.

See what you think on my first try.

Offlinesneaky101
Stranger
Re: Soon to be cultivator [Re: wire5]
    #602458 - 12/22/11 07:21 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

wire5 said:
Quote:

sveumy said:

I beg to differ on the DIY.

To add to phrostbyte's list

How much do you want to grow?

How much space?

Is this a one time shits and giggles thing or do you plan to try again?

This last question is the most important.  Because like the others said, this is an expensive hobby, very expensive in my case. As for the grow kits you see, they are OK if you don't want to put any thought into it, sort of anyway. They kinda dumb it down for you and in the ones I see on eBay, are not using top quality equipment/bulbs in most cases. You may be looking at something different than I have seen in the past, but if you do your research and figure out how you want to do it, you will be rewarded in the end.  And if you thought growing mushrooms is addictive, wait till you start growing cannabis....and then when you make the jump to concentrates with you bud/trim!

As far as DIY, same thing, you learn a lot of the how's and why's. But in my experience, not worth the effort. I went all out DIY when I started. Everything was made well and lasted and worked as expected. Did I save $$ though?  Questionable. I had most of the tools already so that expense wasn't bad, but by the time I had bought the materials to make it myself the savings were negligible. Not worth it to me after all the cuts, bumps and bruises from getting poked or the razor slipping...ouch!  I built my own cabinet and carbon filter.....really any and everything that was possible. They never had a that professional look, straight and even lines, things like that. Not a big deal, but still. After about 5-6 years of doing this I've re-done everything using store bought equipment and am much happier, my hands are the most happy! 

I'm beginning my mycology experiments in the coming new year....make you a deal. You teach me about the shrooms and I will do what I can to help you with the herb.

Good luck wit your new endeavor.

Offlinesveumy
seeker of enlightenment
Male User Gallery

Loc: its cold
Re: Soon to be cultivator [Re: sneaky101]
    #602533 - 12/22/11 10:57 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Let me explain my DIY experiences.  I do believe DIY is the way to go but I personally had issues with it.  I believe due to my inexperience and ignorance.  I ended up waisting money because I made decisions on miss information.  So as I stated read as much as you can from as many people as u can and develop your own plan of action based on that information. DIY can be less expensive but I feel u have to be well informed.  On that note what I say is not the word of god just an opinionated amature cultivator.

Offlinewire5
Awesome Possum

Loc: "The sticks"
Re: Soon to be cultivator [Re: sveumy]
    #602557 - 12/23/11 04:22 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I grew up in a home where my dad and my mum took care of all the home projects. And they always roped me and my brother in. Build barns, roofed the house, Re-did bathrooms, etc. Than I moved onto set construction for theatre, which is along the same vein (but trying to see how many corners you can cut and keep the front looking good) so DIY really quite second nature at this point.

DIY can quickly become much harder and more costly than its worth if you don't know what you're doing. I just don't want those two initially scaring you off.

--------------------
In order to grow good weed you need to be part carpenter, electrician, plumber, biologist, geneticist, chemist, and very willing to get dirty.

I've been working with power tools since I was 8, my dad is an electrical engineer who owned a 280 gal fish tank, and I studied biology with a specialty in genetics. Getting dirty comes naturally. I think my parents inadvertently trained me to be a weed grower.

See what you think on my first try.

OfflineSikue
Stranger
Re: Soon to be cultivator [Re: wire5]
    #603541 - 01/01/12 03:16 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

300 Dollars

stealth as possible

OfflineSikue
Stranger
    #603542 - 01/01/12 03:23 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

And sorry this forum seemed dead so I didnt come back right away, my dads a pot smoker and he lets me do mycology. so I am thinking he wont mind to much if he finds it. but id like to keep him in the dark if possible.

OfflineHempMaster
Space Trucker
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
    #604306 - 01/07/12 10:13 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Sikue said:
300 Dollars

stealth as possible

you can build yourself a DWC system for cheapo man, i just built one for one of my friends, and it cost less that $65 canadian for a 9 plant system.

and you can get yourself a small 2x2x5 or 3x3x6 tent on ebay for less than $120

as for a light if your only doing a couple medium sized plants,or more small plants you can get buy with a 250w HPS, though get a digital or magnetic ballast thats switchable.

Nutes wise i use Advaned nutes, but they can get really costly. they work great but i have been hearing really good things about Blue Planet nutes, their real cheap and look easy to use. since your on a budget i'd say try those.

if you need more specific help feel free to PM me.

--------------------
My Tombstone will read: IwasburiedfacedownsoucanallkissmyA$$
my current grow

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck