Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineJusTsHroomiNn
StrangerDanger

How soon do you need lighting...
    #591484 - 10/10/11 04:29 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

How soon after starting to germinate seeds am I going to need my lighting.
Im in the process of getting my Lighting system (600W HPS light)
that I should have in 2-3 weeks... should I wait before starting to germinate my seeds? how soon will they need that light?

--------------------
Disclaimer:  Anything I post is purely for entertainment purposes and is completely fictional made up scenarios using information and pictures retrieved from other people.  I am by no means taking part in any activities displayed.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinealjeezzy
killa
 User Gallery

Loc: east 10
Re: How soon do you need lighting... [Re: JusTsHroomiNn]
    #591514 - 10/10/11 08:59 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

u could put em in a sunny window or get a compact fluorescent.

Offlinemagick81
Padawan grower
Male User Gallery

Loc: Narnia Flag
Re: How soon do you need lighting... [Re: aljeezzy]
    #591528 - 10/10/11 11:32 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

They will need light when they have leaves.
It depends on how quick the seedlings develop, but I think you should wait.
Or you can do what I've done. My growroom isn't ready yet, so for the timebeing they are in the backyard in a sunny spot.

In my case, it was only a few days before they developed their first true leaves.

--------------------
In the human brain, the hypothalamus controls the four f's:
1. Fighting 2. Fleeing 3. Feeding and ...4. Mating

My Current Grow. Killing Fields & Heavy Duty Fruity!!!
My Grow Journal. First Grow EVER!!!!

Edited by magick81 (10/10/11 11:40 PM)

OfflineJusTsHroomiNn
StrangerDanger

Re: How soon do you need lighting... [Re: magick81]
    #591601 - 10/11/11 09:49 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Hmm okay awesome thanks guys.
I think we decided on just getting the stuff for the grow room
asap instead of waiting.
Btw does anyone have any or know of any teks on making a ventilation system for a grow room?
I have a post up about it all rdy but no responses xD

--------------------
Disclaimer:  Anything I post is purely for entertainment purposes and is completely fictional made up scenarios using information and pictures retrieved from other people.  I am by no means taking part in any activities displayed.

Offlinewire5
Awesome Possum

Loc: "The sticks"
Re: How soon do you need lighting... [Re: JusTsHroomiNn]
    #591631 - 10/11/11 12:45 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Mine were the same as magick81's I was able to wire up damn near 100 watts worth of CFL's for like 30-40 bucks. Bonus is they can carry over into the latter stages too!!!

For seedlings you can honestly get away with like a 15-20 dollar set up if you go down to walmart. Just get a porceline lamp holder, power cord, and 50 watt Daylight (if they have it) Compact Flourecent. Chances are good that they will all be in the same aisle too.

--------------------
In order to grow good weed you need to be part carpenter, electrician, plumber, biologist, geneticist, chemist, and very willing to get dirty.

I've been working with power tools since I was 8, my dad is an electrical engineer who owned a 280 gal fish tank, and I studied biology with a specialty in genetics. Getting dirty comes naturally. I think my parents inadvertently trained me to be a weed grower.

See what you think on my first try.

Offlinealjeezzy
killa
 User Gallery

Loc: east 10
Re: How soon do you need lighting... [Re: wire5]
    #592072 - 10/13/11 07:07 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

what you should do is do some temp tests. put your 600light in the space its gonna be and run it for 24 hours or more. don't put the plants in  there duriong the temp test. you'll need a thermomter, wlmart has um for a buck. what you are testing for is max temp. if your max temp is high like 94 then you shouldn't put plants in there without a ventelation systm. if its a cool basement with lots of SqFootage then your temp might not get above 76 and u won't need a vwntilation system until you need to hide the smell. my mane concern with ventilation was noise. i use a whisperline by panas. and a 275cfm filter. you can't here it through hevy doors. tape/shit is at hodepot and also expanding foam insulation. my exhaust goes atmo through the old laundry room 4" dryer vent. its lightproof.  fresh pic of my vent/shit

Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger

Trusted Cultivator
Re: How soon do you need lighting... [Re: aljeezzy]
    #592102 - 10/13/11 11:17 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

The first set of leaves that form are the photosynthetic leaves. So once you have those you definitely need light. Since the seedling emerges green and the green is attributed to chlorophyll so I would imagine that the seedling becomes photosynthetic almost immediately or whenever the hormones tell the plant to start using light energy because the seeds embryo is used up.

Direct or nearly direct sunlight would be best or artificial light in the spectrum appropriate for horticulture would be best. This may only help in less than ideal circumstances outdoors because I seem to get the usual 95-99% germination even on bookshelves. Either way if it helps great, it's certainly not hurting anything.

Offlinemagick81
Padawan grower
Male User Gallery

Loc: Narnia Flag
Re: How soon do you need lighting... [Re: maryanne3087]
    #592251 - 10/15/11 04:10 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

In all honesty, you should wait for your lights.
If you're like me and cannot wait that long, then just put it into a sunny spot till your lights are ready.
They won't grow as quick as having them under the lights for 18 hours a day, but they will still grow.
Mine are at about day 14 in the backyard and are developing nicely and steadily. You can see photos on my growlog.
I just picked up my tent on Friday, and hope to have it and my lights/ventilation ready by the end of the weekend. I'm expecting a major growth spurt once they are under the lights for 18 hours a day compared to the around 14 hours of natural sunlight they are getting.

--------------------
In the human brain, the hypothalamus controls the four f's:
1. Fighting 2. Fleeing 3. Feeding and ...4. Mating

My Current Grow. Killing Fields & Heavy Duty Fruity!!!
My Grow Journal. First Grow EVER!!!!

Edited by magick81 (10/15/11 04:11 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder