Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
human consciousness
    #590041 - 10/03/11 01:40 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

just wondering how you all think it was created.  Assuming we evolved from apes.

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFRACTALife
Rust Fuckin' Cohle
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Carcosa Flag
Re: human consciousness [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #590045 - 10/03/11 01:44 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

over time and with lots of psychedelic drugs/meditation.

--------------------

OfflineFRACTALife
Rust Fuckin' Cohle
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: human consciousness [Re: FRACTALife]
    #590046 - 10/03/11 01:44 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

loads of cannabis too:happyweed:

--------------------

OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

Loc: PNW
Re: human consciousness [Re: FRACTALife] * 2
    #590047 - 10/03/11 01:46 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Fractal that is possibly the most crackpot bullshit thing anyone has ever said on here.

OfflineFRACTALife
Rust Fuckin' Cohle
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: human consciousness [Re: DungenessDank]
    #590049 - 10/03/11 01:49 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

:tmckenna: :horly:

--------------------

Invisibledrawde
    #590050 - 10/03/11 01:49 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

:rofl:

--------------------
King Koopa said:
The amount of pot that Gask smokes is equivalent to a guy shooting heroin on weekends

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Male User Gallery

#590052 - 10/03/11 01:52 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

DungenessDank said:
Fractal that is possibly the most crackpot bullshit thing anyone has ever said on here.

what's the right answer?

--------------------

~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Invisibledrawde
    #590056 - 10/03/11 01:56 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I migrate towards the idea that ultimately we are all god playing hide and seek with itself.

--------------------
King Koopa said:
The amount of pot that Gask smokes is equivalent to a guy shooting heroin on weekends

OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

#590061 - 10/03/11 02:03 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I don't think we can confirm anything, but I tend to think of it as an evolutionary development.

I will tell you that the stoned ape theory is probably less likely than creationism.

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Male User Gallery

#590063 - 10/03/11 02:07 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

why is that?  I have a tendency to believe the stoned ape theory, but I really am looking for some other (more logical) explanations.

--------------------

~ Thomas Jefferson ~

OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

#590067 - 10/03/11 02:25 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Favorable mutation? That is the best I can guess.

OfflineThebooedocksaint
Dead Dictator
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild & Free
    #590070 - 10/03/11 02:51 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

DungenessDank said:
Favorable mutation? That is the best I can guess.

That's been my assumption.

Maybe consciousness is just the result of a highly intelligent sentient creature? I'm confident personally that it wasn't from drugs taken on purpose or accident, but I'm not a scientist. It's surely something to ponder on, but you can't really go that much further beyond "maybe this, maybe that" until us humans create another completely conscious being and record how we did it and replicate the results.

Being able to link together multiple ideas, thoughts, and stimuli requires a lot of computing power, so that is really my explanation to my assumption here. It also makes it easier for me to think there may be/is intelligent life out in the stars (maybe it's just not the most common thing to happen).

Some planets might not have enough reasons to generate highly intelligent creatures, some might be doomed/blessed to only have mindless animals that continue to evolve physically better ways to fulfill their niche and the ones that would evolve higher levels of intelligence just don't have a good opportunity to evolve very far.

--------------------
"Je pense, donc je suis (I am thinking, therefore I am)." -Rene Descartes

Offlineiam23
Stranger
    #590145 - 10/03/11 10:08 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

FurrowedBrow said:
just wondering how you all think it was created.  Assuming we evolved from apes.

Actually we evolved from an amphibious creature that lived in the water. It was like a Dolphin. This evolved into an ape, that in turn became a homo sapien. Our conciousness did not evolve until our pre-frontal lobes became more developed. Did diet have something to do with this? Yes. Is it possible that some of the plants and fish of that time period had psychedelic properties? Yes. Did it play a part in the development of our species? Biologically unknown. Comments?

OfflineNobodyImportant
Science Is Subculture
Male User Gallery

Loc: Jawjuh.
Re: human consciousness [Re: iam23]
    #590152 - 10/03/11 11:03 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I really have no idea but I really like the way this book puts it

I would share the ideas but I dont wanna spoil it, highly reccomended

Its a short read too, like 100 pages

written by the creator of Dilbert

http://nowscape.com/godsdebris.pdf

Free PDF

:sun:

--------------------
:bonghit:
Glass By: US Tubes, ZOB, Roor.de, Sheldon Black, Jerome Baker, Medicali, Kennaroo, Sand, Alex K, Local and Unknown Artists

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

#590178 - 10/04/11 03:39 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

FurrowedBrow said:human consciousness....

just wondering how you all think it was created

In my personal opinion.....

Every living thing certainly has a consciousness....and possibly every non living thing.

Who's to claim otherwise?

It really depends on your definition of consciousness though.

--------------------
The Ego is a pathological condition
like a calcareous tumor or cyst
that begins growing in the personality
in the absence of hallucinogenic substances
-Terence McKenna-

OfflineSpenner
The Spenner
Male

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: human consciousness [Re: niteowl]
    #590182 - 10/04/11 05:12 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I'm still pondering many ideas, very open to more thoughts...

If consciousness exists on, say, a string level (somehow) that is translated into personality qualities when they resonate with the organic tissue in our brains, then that for me makes me think that maybe there is more than what there would appear to be on these seemingly invisible strings-- and if they exist on say, a different plane/dimension than what we do, and there is a lot more attached to those simple strings but just not that we can perceive. And then the idea of life after death could be plausible, but a stripped down consciousness that just has echoes of the life you lived (the strings from your consciousness exist but with no organic brain material to associate with personality and self and whatnot)

That's only if string theory is valid though. And I'm no scientist. I was just really high one day  :pipesmoke: this is probably all bonkers.

Regardless of what it is, I hope it's not simply cells interacting and when those cells die off so does consciousness. If the building blocks of consciousness exist on a smaller level than cells, maybe they don't simply die off.

--------------------
~

Offlineiam23
Stranger
Re: human consciousness [Re: Spenner]
    #590221 - 10/04/11 09:14 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Dr. Leary said that our DNA "speaks" to us, hence conciousness. Our chromsomes may be what determines our conciousness. We still have a choice though, behaviors are not hereditary, it goes to the nature vs nurture argument, but people with more developed forebrains are more likely to produce offspring that have the same or greater capabilities. The double helix is actually what dictates our conciousness, Homo Sapiens were the result of a genetic mutation that took place within a group of proto-humans. Whatever caused this mutation was probably a result of diet and selective inbreeding. None of the Neanderthals wanted to be that way, as conciousness evolved so did self awareness. Proto-humans bred themselves out of existence once conciousness evolved. As they did so conciously, we became what we are today. Did psychoactive plants have something to do with our evolution? Or was it a case of altered states produced by situational survival? Probably both. We know that psychedelic substances have the potential to increase awareness. We know that proto-humans used plants that were psychoactive, excavations have shown this to be true. It was more than this though.

OfflineSteve Buscemi

#590243 - 10/04/11 10:57 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Then came money, religion, and technology forming what we are today.

Offlineiam23
Stranger
Re: human consciousness [Re: Steve Buscemi]
    #590259 - 10/04/11 11:43 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Which begs the question;How much more can/will we evolve? If there were Homo Sapiens that demonstrated extreme capabilities that are beyond the realm of normal reality and thought. What would happen? Something did occur that rapidly accelerated our evolution. Is it still happening now? Would it be in the news? How important would it be considered. What would happen if we discovered a new type of Homo Sapien? How much more will we develop ie evolve as a species? How will zero gravity affect our DNA, once we live in outer space? Uh, speaking of space, Hmmm

OfflineI_AM_SWIM
Someone Who Isn't McKenna

#590290 - 10/04/11 02:12 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

FurrowedBrow said:

There are many different meanings for the term consciousness, such as the notion of
subjectivity, awareness, self-awareness, feelings, emotions, etc. I believe that all of
these are just extensions of consciousness. In a mathematical sense (set theory), I would
consider them to be elements within the set of consciousness.

Dogs and cats have consciousness as well, but it's debatable whether or not that their
consciousness is up to par with the consciousness that we as homo sapiens have; which is
self-awareness. But they are nonetheless conscious. After all, dogs can be prescribed
medications such as valium, and tramadol, which alters their state of consciousness;
similar to human beings. These animals can also experience ketamine as well.

Cats and dogs are aware of their surroundings, they have methods of communication, and
even birds have a really interesting ways of communicating with each other through
chirping, the silence in between chirps, the number of times that they chirp, and their
pitch, etc.

The human mind is really fascinating when it comes to existential questions such as these.
Especially when we get into questions about self-awareness.

For ie., "I know that I know that I know."— and this could go on for quite a while, but
the more one adds in "I know that I know ... that I know ..."— ad infinitum— the meaning
gets lost through a linguistic entropy.

Basically, evolution is a proven scientific fact, and that should not be dismissed if one
is looking for the truth about consciousness, but neither should seemingly insane ideas;
like plants being conscious; not in an anthropomorphic sense, but they do react to their
environment just like us.. But even the notion of plants being self-aware shouldn't
be dismissed either IMO, since the world is a lot stranger than we can even imagine. The
idea of Nature Vs. Nurture is a silly debate, since they are both equivalently correct.
Yeah, plants may not be self-aware, but they are conscious, and they do have their
own form of language as well, which I'm not too familiar with since it's been a few years
since I've read about the communication of plants.— Check out Biocommunication:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biocommunication_(science)

Anyway, I just banged 40mg of oxy, so pardon if what I wrote doesn't make too much sense.
(I would go look up sources for scientific evidence about the language of plants, animals,
even insects.) But I rather enjoy my high at the moment, and not get caught up in
arguments if someone reads what I write in a differing perspective due to consciousness.

I also think that the stoned-ape theory is a very sound theory, except, the whole idea
that we form a language based on survival is also sound as well. We had to come up with
this language in order to survive. And by this, I am referring to this:

So in a way, consciousness may have always been around since the existence of life,
but it has evolved throughout time, and has become more intricate, in-depth, and much more
complex, that I will leave my answer with a meme:

IDK therefore :ancientaliens:

Because I really don't know anything when it comes down to it all. Sure science may be
proven, but after ingesting so many psychedelics throughout my life, I tend to question
everything; including science.

David Lynch: Consciousness and Creativity:

I once watched this video on DMT, it blew my mind, and made me feel deader than a
door-nail. :tongue:

-------
:2cents:

--------------------
:tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds