Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleiStoner
Astral Beast
Male

why should marijuana be legal?
    #587986 - 09/22/11 12:43 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

convince me.
just thought i'd get some input from you guys.
I'm writing a persuasiv paper on legalizing marijuana for my class.

--------------------

Edited by iStoner (09/22/11 12:56 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTangerines
Grease Wizard
Male

Re: why should marijuana be legal? [Re: iStoner]
    #587990 - 09/22/11 12:44 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Because nature can't be illegal or we would have outlawed hurricanes long ago.

OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

Loc: PNW
    #587992 - 09/22/11 12:49 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Gotta ask one question first: From where do you believe your rights as a human being come?

Edited by DungenessDank (09/22/11 03:44 PM)

Offlinethe bizzle
Stranger

Re: why should marijuana be legal? [Re: DungenessDank]
    #588005 - 09/22/11 01:43 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

i gave plenty of reasons (including scientific research) why it should be legal nearly 100 years ago

and i was met with the reply "it makes mexicans and blacks rape the white women"

that's not even true

now how the hell am I going to convince anybody so obviously biased and stubborn?

--------------------
got this shadow in my shoes

got this blackness in my blues

if we're lost, how can we lose?

OfflineKrackatus
Vapehead

Loc: UK Flag
Re: why should marijuana be legal? [Re: the bizzle]
    #588027 - 09/22/11 02:55 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I have the right to do whatever I want to my own body. End

--------------------
"Cannabis is not a health problem. The problem is that it promotes social values and attitudes which are unwelcome in capitalist market based society. It's just that simple." - Terence McKenna

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
Re: why should marijuana be legal? [Re: Krackatus] * 1
    #588040 - 09/22/11 03:33 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Because this isn't an issue about drugs.  It's an issue of human rights, first and foremost.  Cannabis advocates need to recognize that and say it when they enter into a debate on prohibition.  Whenever i watch a debate on TV about cannabis its always the same old rhetoric.  It seems like rarely does anyone from our side ever mention the fact that this is a human rights issue.  Also, it's been a medicine and of use to humans for about 99.9% of the time we've known about it's uses.  Ehh, i could rant forever.

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Loc: Bumfuckt Egypt
Re: why should marijuana be legal? [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #588047 - 09/22/11 03:52 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I feel like the whole human rights idea is a bad point to include, because then you get shot back with the "well derpa derpa crack and heroin" thing. Which I believe is also up to the individual to make their decision, not a babysitting government.

However, its probably just an angle they want to avoid. Because its easier to convince people that a plant growing from the ground is OK, than "everything should be up to the individual". They've worked pretty hard to separate cannabis from hard drugs, and that argument places it right back in with the other illegal substances.

If people were able to think for themselves and make decisions based on logic instead of fear, that'd be one thing. But unfortunately, most can't.

Standing in a room of people arguing for the legalization or decriminalization of cannabis is one thing, but if you mention that you're going to HAVE to address the other substances, and if you don't defend them you sound hypocritical. If you do, you sound too liberal. See? Thats backing yourself into a corner which is probably why they avoid that like the plague.

--------------------
Of course it's happening inside your head.
Why should that mean it isn't real?

OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

Loc: PNW
Re: why should marijuana be legal? [Re: RasJeph]
    #588050 - 09/22/11 04:02 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

You should never feel like you shouldn't speak your mind, especially when you are confident you hold the moral high ground. Just learn to defend your position well.

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Loc: Bumfuckt Egypt
    #588052 - 09/22/11 04:10 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Once again, unfortunately the people who are in charge of these things are so set in their ways its not easy to convince them. It doesn't matter how much solid evidence you have when people are as stubborn as rocks.

Personally, I'd rather have my herbage legalized before I worried about the other stuff. I know thats selfish and not right, but with the way people and the system are, you gotta take baby steps :sad:

Trust me, I wish it wasn't that way. I just understand why they choose marijuana as the easy one to argue for. Its natural and all. It seems like the easiest argument of them all, and its just now starting to begin winning.

--------------------
Of course it's happening inside your head.
Why should that mean it isn't real?

OfflineI_AM_SWIM
Someone Who Isn't McKenna

Re: why should marijuana be legal? [Re: RasJeph]
    #588060 - 09/22/11 05:51 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

It should be legal, because there are synthetic cannabinoids out there in herbal blends;
some states have banned some of these chemicals, including JWH-018, etc. But they haven't
banned them all. There are literally hundreds of different variations of the synthetic
cannabinoids, and nobody knows really how safe they are.

A person is going to get high regardless if something is legal or not, legalizing it would
benefit society in so many ways, and there would be no need for these synthetic alternatives
that may be harmful for the health of the public.

ETC.

I suggest watching the documentary, American Drug War, which was created by a friend
of Bill Hicks, Kevin Booth.

"It's not a war on drugs, it's a war on person freedom" — Bill Hicks

--------------------
:tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna:

OfflineI_AM_SWIM

Re: why should marijuana be legal? [Re: I_AM_SWIM]
    #588062 - 09/22/11 05:55 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

By the way, has anybody noticed how Seroquel XR is being advertised as an anti-depressant?
I've seen the commercials for it. And all I can think of is, wow. They really want society
to turn into zombies.

Seroquel, is an atypical antipsychotic approved for the treatment of schizophrenia, and
bipolar disorder.

--------------------
:tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna:

OfflineI_AM_SWIM

#588063 - 09/22/11 06:02 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

FurrowedBrow said:
Because this isn't an issue about drugs.  It's an issue of human rights, first and foremost.  Cannabis advocates need to recognize that and say it when they enter into a debate on prohibition.  Whenever i watch a debate on TV about cannabis its always the same old rhetoric.  It seems like rarely does anyone from our side ever mention the fact that this is a human rights issue.  Also, it's been a medicine and of use to humans for about 99.9% of the time we've known about it's uses.  Ehh, i could rant forever.

100% true.

Cannabis has been used as a medicine as far back as 6000 B.C.E. Probably even further.
And yet the FDA doesn't see any medicinal value in the plant.

:flowstone:

Neuroprotective antioxidants from marijuana.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10863546

---

Cannabis is a plant first.
A medicine/drug second.
Ashes to ashes, dust to dust, all we are is dust in the wind.

--------------------

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Male User Gallery

Re: why should marijuana be legal? [Re: I_AM_SWIM]
    #588065 - 09/22/11 06:09 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

As far as I know it's the most useful plant to humans that exists.

--------------------

~ Thomas Jefferson ~

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

#588073 - 09/22/11 07:08 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineKing Koopa
Natty
 User Gallery

#588093 - 09/22/11 08:08 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

DungenessDank said:
You should never feel like you shouldn't speak your mind, especially when you are confident you hold the moral high ground. Just learn to defend your position well.

I love you.

--------------------
Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism.

The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. There are no dues or fees for A.A. membership; we are self-supporting through our own contributions. A.A. is not allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organization or institution; does not wish to engage in any controversy; neither endorses nor opposes any causes. Our primary purpose is to stay sober and help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety.

Invisibledrawde
    #588096 - 09/22/11 08:49 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Makes no difference to me. May as well keep the status quo.

:smirk:

--------------------
King Koopa said:
The amount of pot that Gask smokes is equivalent to a guy shooting heroin on weekends

OfflineThebooedocksaint
Dead Dictator
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild & Free
Re: why should marijuana be legal? [Re: drawde] * 1
    #588156 - 09/23/11 07:34 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Because marijuana has no deaths associated with it (other than that one dumbass who tried to play hackie-sac with a tarantula), and tobacco has over 400,000 annual deaths associated with it.

Although as a debater i always ask the other person what they beleive and why and deconstruct their opinion from their. If they think it's dengerous i tell them about the deaths associated with tobacco, alcohol, driving, and over the counter medication.

If they think it's a gateway drug i tell them scientifically that has been disproved, and yet again also reference cigarettes and alcohol; if anything is a gateway drug those are, the only reason it would actually functionally work as a gateway drug is because you happen to be introduced to criminals that sell drugs when you buy marijuana.

If they say because they don't want to give gangs money (this is more for the people in the war on drugs that say drugs fund terrorism [which heroin does]) I tell them how prohibition works and reference the prohibition of alcohol and how great that worked.

The number of angles you can go at with this argument is great, and the effectiveness of them depends on the kind of people you are talking to.

Plus it is a human rights issue, and if somebody tried to talk about crack/meff/heroin I just tell them those don't count because those have deaths associated with them and very little medical value. Humans have a right to do what they want as long as it harms no other. That is my fundamental belief. This may in fact mean banning smoking from public places so that you can get the super health nuts off your back, because yes second hand smoke can and will kill, but it's required if you want to advocate it on grounds of safety.

I myself don't smoke tobacco because i don't like it's negative health effects, nor do i think it tastes good at all. I also don't see why i would smoke something that doesn't get me high, if i burn something to inhale it better get me high as balls. Otherwise i find it completely worthless and I have no reason use it.

And for the people that are just stubborn and refuse to accept reason I list the points in the argument I've won that they have no argument against and tell them if they don't believe me they are a close minded dumb-shit.

--------------------
"Je pense, donc je suis (I am thinking, therefore I am)." -Rene Descartes

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Male User Gallery

Re: why should marijuana be legal? [Re: Thebooedocksaint]
    #588212 - 09/23/11 11:24 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

drawde said:
Makes no difference to me. May as well keep the status quo.

:smirk:

Quote:

Thebooedocksaint said:
Because marijuana has no deaths associated with it (other than that one dumbass who tried to play hackie-sac with a tarantula), and tobacco has over 400,000 annual deaths associated with it.

Although as a debater i always ask the other person what they beleive and why and deconstruct their opinion from their. If they think it's dengerous i tell them about the deaths associated with tobacco, alcohol, driving, and over the counter medication.

If they think it's a gateway drug i tell them scientifically that has been disproved, and yet again also reference cigarettes and alcohol; if anything is a gateway drug those are, the only reason it would actually functionally work as a gateway drug is because you happen to be introduced to criminals that sell drugs when you buy marijuana.

If they say because they don't want to give gangs money (this is more for the people in the war on drugs that say drugs fund terrorism [which heroin does]) I tell them how prohibition works and reference the prohibition of alcohol and how great that worked.

The number of angles you can go at with this argument is great, and the effectiveness of them depends on the kind of people you are talking to.

Plus it is a human rights issue, and if somebody tried to talk about crack/meff/heroin I just tell them those don't count because those have deaths associated with them and very little medical value. Humans have a right to do what they want as long as it harms no other. That is my fundamental belief. This may in fact mean banning smoking from public places so that you can get the super health nuts off your back, because yes second hand smoke can and will kill, but it's required if you want to advocate it on grounds of safety.

I myself don't smoke tobacco because i don't like it's negative health effects, nor do i think it tastes good at all. I also don't see why i would smoke something that doesn't get me high, if i burn something to inhale it better get me high as balls. Otherwise i find it completely worthless and I have no reason use it.

And for the people that are just stubborn and refuse to accept reason I list the points in the argument I've won that they have no argument against and tell them if they don't believe me they are a close minded dumb-shit.

+1

--------------------

~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Invisibledrawde
    #588225 - 09/23/11 12:53 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Thats not my actual feeling, but what I have unfortunately seen as the most common public opinion. Seems to me that apathy can be a larger obstacle than ignorance.

--------------------
King Koopa said:
The amount of pot that Gask smokes is equivalent to a guy shooting heroin on weekends

OfflineFRACTALife
Rust Fuckin' Cohle
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Carcosa Flag
    #588266 - 09/23/11 05:13 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

The cannabis plant is amazing and has so much to offer man in so many different ways. Big pharma, the oil, alchohol, and drug companies would loose profit and they help to keep it illegal.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck