Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinejellyfish

Auto Watering
    #58544 - 06/16/08 01:35 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

My friend is going on vacation for about a month so he won't be able to water his plant. It's in soil, in the veg cycle under flouros and he hasn't been fertilizing it so it really just needs water but he's not willing to have anyone come to water it for him. Are there any easy ways that people get around this problem? It's almost two feet tall so it needs a good bit of water but he's willing to cut it down if it's easier.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineYrat
Happy Planting
 User Gallery

Re: Auto Watering [Re: jellyfish]
    #58563 - 06/16/08 02:01 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

he would rather kill it than let someone water it for him?  if it is really your "friend," why not you?  you already know about it...

the only think i can think of would be some kind of pinhole in a gallon jug or something, small enough to get maybe a drip a minute.  fill this up completely and set it next to the plant when he leaves.  better than nothing i suppose.  let me do some math to see how long a drip a minute would last...

--------------------
"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded." - Abraham Lincoln

"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root"
~ Henry D. Thoreau
Strike The Root
                                                                                      :gethigh:

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Loc: The Milky Way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Auto Watering [Re: Yrat]
    #58564 - 06/16/08 02:06 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Yrat said:
he would rather kill it than let someone water it for him?  if it is really your "friend," why not you?  you already know about it...

Maybe because the nature of their friendship is an abstract one. :wink: :wink: :wink:

--------------------

OfflineYrat
Happy Planting
 User Gallery

#58568 - 06/16/08 02:09 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

one gallon over a month, enough water?

at a drip a minute, assuming ~35 drips per mL, it would take 92 days to deplete the gallon.

since this is 3 months, you could up it to 3 drips a minute, or 1 every 20 seconds to get a full gallon in a month. 

or just buy a water pump and put it on a timer :gethigh:

--------------------
"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded." - Abraham Lincoln

"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root"
~ Henry D. Thoreau
Strike The Root
                                                                                      :gethigh:

OfflineNobodyImportant
Science Is Subculture
Male User Gallery

Loc: Jawjuh.
    #58584 - 06/16/08 02:26 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

what about those aqua globe things you see on TV :p

or maybe just keep a hose dripping on the plant and draining outside so that it may be overwatered a little but wont flood your house

--------------------
:bonghit:
Glass By: US Tubes, ZOB, Roor.de, Sheldon Black, Jerome Baker, Medicali, Kennaroo, Sand, Alex K, Local and Unknown Artists

Offlinejellyfish

Re: Auto Watering [Re: NobodyImportant]
    #58683 - 06/16/08 03:44 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Because he's not the only one living at the house and they'd rather set it up with the alarm and feel safe while they're away. He's leaving in a month there's time to figure something out. I was thinking about some sort of pump with a timer but I still dunno how it would work.

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #58686 - 06/16/08 03:46 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

basically you would buy a drip system, create a reservoir with your pump in it, set the pump on a timer to go on at specific intervals, and then the water will drip through the hoses when the pump is on.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Offlinejellyfish

Re: Auto Watering [Re: coda]
    #58721 - 06/16/08 04:24 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Alright that's not so bad. I don't even really know what a drip system is but I'm gonna some research now and check my shed to see if I have any water pumps I can lend him but I doubt it.

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #59335 - 06/17/08 11:49 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

http://www.wormsway.com/detail.asp?sku=R559DP

you can buy a kit for like 65$ plus s+h.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order