Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSmokey the Bear
Very Smokey
 User Gallery

Potassium chloride vs sodium chloride
    #576628 - 08/04/11 10:32 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I have very hard water with a softener for my home water. I do not use the softened water which is softened by sodium chloride for obvious reasons. However I have heard of the alternative of softening the water with potassium chloride instead. Its pushed as more environmentally friendly but what I'm concerned about is can this water be used to grow with?

Are the potassium ions in the softened water better and safer then water softened with sodium chloride? If the potassium regenerant in the water is in a low enough concentration then would it be relatively safe for my plants, unlike sodium chloride regenerant I currently have?

The people at rv-orchidworks.com have a discussion on using the potassium regenerant waste brine caught separately in the softener as a high-concentrated source for potassium so I assumed the water with much lower levels would be safe, even beneficial.

Might be a question I can read more about but I wanted some input :rastamon:

--------------------
:awegroove:
Critical/White Rhino

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

Loc: PNW
Re: Potassium chloride vs sodium chloride [Re: Smokey the Bear]
    #576660 - 08/05/11 07:26 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium_chloride

Potassium Chloride is also known as "Potash", a common fertilizer. If you are watering soil plants with it, I would say it may be beneficial to use.

OfflineSmokey the Bear
Very Smokey
 User Gallery

Re: Potassium chloride vs sodium chloride [Re: DungenessDank]
    #576702 - 08/05/11 12:45 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

If I can find potassium chloride pellets locally at TSC or something then I think I may have solved my water problem :awegroove:. I was getting tired of buying water when I have a well. Also I need to stop being a cheapskate and get a ppm meter as my concern was the amount of potassium softening puts in the water. I already use liquid nutrients and don't want to overdo it. Sodium softening releases a lot of sodium so I figured potassium softening would similarly make the water ultra-high in potassium

An article by the NFSC talks about the benefits of using potassium chloride for drinking and for plants I found interesting, may be a good idea for all with softeners to switch:

"Sodium really has no redeeming value in the environment outside of saltwater or brackish water ecosystems. If alternatives to sodium chloride for water treatment can be developed, they should be used. Potassium chloride is a logical choice to reduce sodium discharge from water softening systems, to provide additional potassium in human diets, and to serve as a nutrient source for plants."

From "Potassium Chloride: Alternative Regenerant for Softening Water" by Dr. Kim Polizotto and Dr. Charles Harms

http://www.uwsp.edu/cnr/gndwater/privatewells/AnAlternativetoSofteningwithSodium.htm

also some benefits listed by Mortons:

• Reduces sodium contribution to soft water by 99%

• Provides a means to increase potassium, an essential human and plant nutrient, through softened water

• Reduces chloride discharge by up to 20% as compared to sodium chloride softened water
^^ the chloride reduction is neat because that was another concern of mine using the water

Edited by Smokey the Bear (08/05/11 12:49 PM)

OfflineDoDahDay
Stranger?

Loc: Midwest
Re: Potassium chloride vs sodium chloride [Re: Smokey the Bear]
    #577099 - 08/07/11 01:09 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

The thing that I would be worried about is the amount of potassium that you will have in the water.  Dont know if there is a tester out there just to check that or not. You can contact you local farm bureau and they could direct you to a local water testing facility. With out knowing what is in your water, I wouldnt use it. Invest money into a RO system or keep buying water.

--------------------
I fart in you general direction. Your mother was a hampster, and your father smelt of elderberries!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies