Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinewrestler_az
Male

Loc: behind you
moms first grow
    #563480 - 06/10/11 01:55 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

so i moved up to montana to hang with my mom for a bit... and as chance would have it, she has a medical card and is trying her hand at a grow. she is completely new at this (as am i) but she has a dude thats been helping her out with it, though ive yet to meet him.

ive come into this thing about half way through, kinda want to know where she stands with it. figured id throw up the situation on here, hopefully get some tips or pointers about where to go next with it.

the grow room is 7.5ft x 4ft x 8ft. 600 watt lumatek ballast, 400 watt HPS bulb.

there is a total of 8 plants. they are planted in soil mixed at 10 parts sunshine soil mix #1, 2 parts perlite, and 1 part chicken manure. they sprouted from seed 05/01, and transplanted into their current containers 05/20. at the time of transplant they were also fed with guano, mixed 1 tablespoon to one gallon, the gallon evenly spread out to all 8 plants. they have been on 24/7 light since the beginning, and their tops are about 2 feet away from the bottom of the hood. she has been watering them with about a half gallon every couple of days. she has been keeping the temp right around 75, and the ventelation runs for 30 minutes ever 2.5 hours. would you change anyof this?

they seem to be growing ok, from my noob point of view. i guess my main concern is when and how to properly induce flowering, and determining their sex... also wondering if i should prune them at all.

also, there is one plant that looks kind of weak. the leaves are curling up on themselves. she has a space heater in there to try and keep the temps up a bit, this one is closest to the heater and im guessing it is the cause.

anyway,excited to see how this pans out. oh, and the strain is sour diesel.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinebloodworm
Stranger

Re: moms first grow [Re: wrestler_az]
    #563488 - 06/10/11 05:17 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

sweet fucking setup man and cool ass mom.
with that being said.
i love the nutes you are using. please keep this organic.
you can induce flowering as soon as the nodes start to alternate.
another thing, i would change the light cycle from 24 to 18/6.
darkness helps develop stronger root systems and will make stronger, healthier plants.
the space heater is definitely the problem with the other plant.
do you know what the temps are in there without the space heater?
if you can close off that space and take the temp, the light itself might be enough to heat the room.
when watering, i've found it's best to let the plants completely dry out (well not completely...stick your finger in the soil up to about an inch and a half and when you feel no moisture, water again). water until the water comes out the bottom of the plants and then stop. if you keep repeating this process, your watering should be perfect.
one thing i forgot to mention is that 400 watts might not be enough for 8 plants.
if you can paint those walls completely white they will reflect light better and you should see better results.
ventilation and overall temps sound just about perfect.
hope this helped out a little bit.
if you have any other questions, let me know. :grin:

:aliendance:
peace and love
bloodworm

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
Re: moms first grow [Re: bloodworm]
    #563601 - 06/10/11 02:47 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Hey! Welcome to the Growery, man!

First off, that black plastic is absorbing a LOT of the light that could be getting reflected back towards the plants. If you could even staple some flat white poly across the inside of the box, that would increase the light in there immensely.

Secondly, I was wondering what kind of ventilation you have going? Your plants can use all the available Co2 around the leaves in a matter of minutes. If there isn't a fan inside the cab blowing the air around, your plants aren't going to be getting as much Co2 as they need...

Um... I think that's all I had to say about it... maybe I'll come up with more later...

--------------------
My best run so far

Offlinewrestler_az
Male

Re: moms first grow [Re: Tank333]
    #563609 - 06/10/11 03:54 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

the ventilation isnt anything fancy. just a blower up top connected to 5 inch tubing. not sure the power specs, but its pretty quiet.

then an inlet hole down at the bottom, same 5 inch tubing. also this is where she had the space heater which is currently off. seems pretty warm enough in there without it. ill replace it with a fan to circulate the air as you suggested.

should i be concerned with any pruning atm?

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #563614 - 06/10/11 04:25 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I'd tell her to throw another 400 in there honestly.  You have a decently large sized room and a tiny light.  a 400 watt light is almost stretching it in a 3x3 area, let alone a 7.5 x 4

7.5 x 4 = 30 sq ft
400 watts / 30 sq ft = 13.33 watts / sq ft

Optimal wattage per sq foot is 50, as you can see she's under powering her grow area.  With that much space should would do a lot better with 2 600's than anything else (well, unless she wanted to really do it right and get 2 1000 watters).

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Offlinealienscience
Farve in training
 User Gallery

Re: moms first grow [Re: coda]
    #563687 - 06/10/11 09:40 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

2,000 watts would blow her grow and bill out of the water =)

--------------------
Official member of MAPS

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
Re: moms first grow [Re: alienscience]
    #563701 - 06/10/11 11:26 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

On 12/12 my 2, 1000 watt cost about $100 a month.
I harvested 2 1/2 lb's. In less than 3 months.

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever sence.

Offlinealienscience
Farve in training
 User Gallery

Re: moms first grow [Re: KaptKid]
    #563830 - 06/11/11 07:09 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

That's pretty amazing, but I've seen yeilds of 1lb per 1000w in 3 months =)

--------------------
Official member of MAPS

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
    #563873 - 06/12/11 12:48 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I don't think you'd really benefit from much pruning at this point, really. Do a bit of research on LST and HST techniques, and that'll give you a little more insight into the pruning/tying down aspect of growing...

The ventilation you've got going looks decently adequate, as long as it's keeping the room at low enough temps. If your temps get too high, you'll want to have it on more frequently. I keep my 425 cfm fan on 24 hours most days to cool the 1000 watts in my tent, but then that is only 4x4. I'm pretty sure you want to shoot for replacing the air in the room once every 5 minutes...

And I agree with what Coda said about more light. Get a 600 watt bulb in there, and even a second one would do wonders.

--------------------
My best run so far

Offlinemuse42
Zomberrific

Loc: West Coast
Re: moms first grow [Re: Tank333]
    #563968 - 06/12/11 03:00 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I agree with Coda and Tank, another light is needed.  With another light, you could spread those plants out and have some room to do some training, LST or HST. 
If I got another light, I would top them or tie the tops down to the bottom of the pots.

Bloodworm mentioned earlier to paint the walls white.  This will work with a Bright White Flat Paint.  I get Behr's Ultra White from Home Depot.  One Gallon should do it, maybe two.
There are more expensive options, some mentioned earlier,  but just do something...

Good luck, I would love to have that space!

--------------------
It looks like it's going to be another Gravity Bong type day...

Offlinebloodworm
Stranger

Re: moms first grow [Re: muse42]
    #564492 - 06/14/11 08:54 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

i would recommend the following right now.
1. painting the walls white as discussed.
2. put a rotating fan in there to circulate the air and grow stronger plants.
3. throw at least another 400 watt hps in there.

i think those 3 things should be your main focus.

:aliendance:
peace and love
bloodworm

Offlinealienscience
Farve in training
 User Gallery

Re: moms first grow [Re: bloodworm]
    #564520 - 06/14/11 11:43 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I'd just recomend using an actual 600w bulb.  I've seen plenty of good grows with 600w lights in that amount of space.  What you really need to think about is getting some under/side lighting for the lower buds.  They'll develop faster than the colas, but not without light.  Low fluff buds can really hinder a harvest.

--------------------
Official member of MAPS

Offlinewrestler_az
Male

#564531 - 06/15/11 12:55 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

ok, so the guy who set it up will be by tomorrow. just for the record, it is a 600 watt bulb, i was misinformed. still though, i think i talked my mom into getting another bulb on the grounds of giving them a little more breathing room. also i did put a fan in the room, and we are working on the walls.

i want to get rid of the plastic altogether and put up plywood, and paint the insides white as suggested. any reason why this would be a bad idea?

other than that he plans on switching the light to 12/12, running the light at night to prevent any heat issues. also hes going to stop the guano and feed it phosphorus.

also, im assuming these are the pre flowers?

Offlinealienscience
Farve in training
 User Gallery

#564550 - 06/15/11 02:46 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

That sounds great wrestler.  I'm glad about the bulbs.  As for adding an extra one, it's only going to help.  I've actually seen people increase their wattages especially for flowering in order to increase bud production. 

The walls will help a lot more if made of wood and painted white as well.  There is no problem with that.  Just be sure to do it quickly, as you'll have to take the plants out while it dries; otherwise, you'll end up with meth paint buds. :smile:

Dudeman switching your lights means that they are going into flowering.  Those little growths you see aren't necessarily indicators of sex, but some people do consider them to be pre-flowers. 

All in all, you seem set.  Be sure to ask the botanist if he ever surfs any forums =)

--------------------
Official member of MAPS

OfflineDude
Dude, who's got the lighter?
Male User Gallery

#564609 - 06/15/11 11:33 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

wrestler_az said:
but she has a dude thats been helping her out with it, though ive yet to meet him.

Pleasure to meet you man. :lol: :vaped:

--------------------
Much Respect To All The People Thinking Green
Not Just The Color But The Message In Between

:trees::trees::trees::trees:

Offlinewrestler_az
Male

#564629 - 06/15/11 01:25 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

alienscience said:
Those little growths you see aren't necessarily indicators of sex, but some people do consider them to be pre-flowers.

how bout now?

OfflineDude
Male User Gallery

#564706 - 06/15/11 07:02 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I think I see a preflower on the first pic man... The first thing I noticed with mine was two white hair looking things coming out of the branch, and I think I see that in the first pic.

--------------------

Offlinewrestler_az
Male

Re: moms first grow [Re: Dude]
    #564710 - 06/15/11 07:21 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

i see it in the bottom though too... im thinking the top is female, and the bottom male...

Offlinewrestler_az
Male

#564718 - 06/15/11 07:55 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

also, put up some white plastic. eventually ill just redo it with plywood, but this seemed easier for now.

OfflineDude
Male User Gallery

#564735 - 06/15/11 08:43 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

wrestler_az said:
i see it in the bottom though too... im thinking the top is female, and the bottom male...

Same thing happened to me... the top was full of buds and the bottom had pods all over it, I was pretty disappointed to say the least. Ended up scrapping it and making brownies. I've had a total of 2 hermies...

EDIT: :facepalm: just realized you meant the top picture was female and the bottom picture male... stoner moment right there :lol: anyway I believe you are right, but only time will tell.

--------------------

Edited by Dude (06/15/11 08:46 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck