Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineBig_tiggy
Male

Loc: Neither here nor there
Mushrooms and addiction
    #558573 - 05/26/11 01:41 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

So I've been pondering this in my head, and I would like some people to anwser with experience on the matter...

Will a high dose mushroom trip help overcome alcohol addiction, I've been using alcohol for a substantial period of time now (7 years) with very little sobriety in between. I get to the end of the day and I absolutely need a drink, and then I need more after that...

The question is, have any of you folks had success with hallucinogens helping you with an addiction... the plan is to go cold turkey starting tonight, and then taking a high dose trip (about 7 grams) on sunday... whatcha think???

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHendershot
Shapeshifter
Male User Gallery

Re: Mushrooms and addiction [Re: Big_tiggy]
    #558575 - 05/26/11 01:45 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I wouldn't do it. One of the symptoms of a harsh alcohol withdrawal is hallucinations. And not the good kind. Better off seeing a doctor, seriously. He can give you meds to ease the effects a bit.

--------------------

"You're cool, you're cool, fuck you, I'm out.."

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
Re: Mushrooms and addiction [Re: Hendershot]
    #558584 - 05/26/11 02:01 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I would be really surprised if someone had an unguided positive experience using psilocybin as an aide for kicking alcohol addiction.  I know it's possible but I think that in order to really understand the issues that need to be worked out I feel that there needs to be an educated therapist (preferably two) there working with you as you undergo the psychedelic session.  I don't think that psilocybin is your best bet though.  From the research I have read I would say ibogaine is your top choice.  Good luck finding the resources for this in america though.  I know in Mexico there are clinics that provide ibogaine therapy sessions.  I know a guy who kicked a heroin addiction that way.

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

OfflineHarlz

Loc: cloudz
    #558586 - 05/26/11 02:07 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Mushrooms contain extremely powerful hallucinogenic compounds at the right dosage, I wouldn't be surprised if you had some sort of revelation about your alcoholism, and really analyzed your take on it with a third-person perspective ( i find I get this a lot) and I can really examine my life , obviously this will be the topic of your trip , and I think by examining your alcoholism from an unbiased, ego-less position you may be able to help change your habits , I also think 7 g might be too much, Id go with like 5

OfflineBig_tiggy
Male

Re: Mushrooms and addiction [Re: Hendershot]
    #558587 - 05/26/11 02:17 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

well thats why I intend to do this after I detox from the alcohol, as to figure out what the hell is wrong

OfflineBig_tiggy
Male

#558588 - 05/26/11 02:19 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

yeah maybe 5 is a good dose, they are pan subbs but from past experience from the ones around here, they are potent, (bruise blue at the base) I should have about 3 fresh ounces by sunday, so maybe half of them, and more if needed... and yes I will be totally detoxed from the booze before I do this, clear mind, and some passion flower tea

OfflineBig_tiggy
Male

#558590 - 05/26/11 02:20 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Maybe a solo trip in the woods during the day???

OfflineTangerines
Grease Wizard
Male

#558602 - 05/26/11 02:52 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Eh your brain is probably chemically ravaged already.  I wouldn't add any fuel to the fire so to speak.  Your brain will want happy chemicals so you will be a naturally more depressed state.  I find many "revelations" during a trip are so fleeting oftentimes.  Once the afterglow passes I am back to being me, not "the me that had a revelation"

OfflineBig_tiggy
Male

Re: Mushrooms and addiction [Re: Tangerines]
    #558611 - 05/26/11 03:05 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

well my trips usually leave me feeling elevated for the following 2 weeks, more if I put what I learned into practice

OfflineTangerines
Grease Wizard
Male

#558616 - 05/26/11 03:09 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Good luck and godspeed.  To me, I would want a DMT trip more than a mush trip.  I feel like I get the same ammount of insight in both, just one is a lot shorter and the insight is behind a few layers.

Offlinebudnectar
Planetary Citizen
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Mars
    #558750 - 05/26/11 09:54 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I had some really potent shroom-tea and the encouragement from a friend and I quit cigarettes on the spot. No premature intervention or thought of it; it just came up and I knew it was the right thing to do. I had been smoking cigarettes for almost 7 years. It really helps the "reseting" of habits imo. Alcohol may be different. I may be wrong to think addictions are all fundamentally the same. The trick is retaining those revelations post-trip and afterglow. Having someone there for support would probably make a world of difference.
:2cents:

Invisiblestill beLIEve
State Property..Again
Male

Loc: a world thats not my own
Re: Mushrooms and addiction [Re: budnectar]
    #558771 - 05/26/11 11:35 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

i think trying to kick addiction from one drug to use another, is a cop out honestly.

kick the shit the right way. use mushrooms after to evaluate your life.

telling yourself psychedelics are a cure-all is unfair to yourself, and disrespectful to the drugs.

--------------------
niteowl said:
See, that term pedo gets thrown around a lot.
Is a 16 year old guy having sex w/a 16 year old girl a pedophile?
If not, then how is a 30 year old considered a pedophile for doing the same thing?
I think y'all need to look up the definition for pedophile.

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
Re: Mushrooms and addiction [Re: still beLIEve]
    #558780 - 05/27/11 01:31 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

still beLIEve said:
i think trying to kick addiction from one drug to use another, is a cop out honestly.

telling yourself psychedelics are a cure-all is unfair to yourself, and disrespectful to the drugs.

I agree. That said, I think dmt would be a better choice than psylocybin for what youu are trying to accomplish.

--------------------
My best run so far

OfflineBig_tiggy
Male

#558793 - 05/27/11 05:14 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

yeah thats what im doin, I've already gone a day and a half without, feelin pretty shitty, i figure another day and a half - 2 days and ill be ready... besides theres a huge festival in town, thinkin I might hit that up the last day

OfflineBig_tiggy
Male

#558800 - 05/27/11 07:50 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

yeah deffinate signs of withdrawal, irritation, no hunger, voices, and slight hallucinations... drying some poppy leaves to make tea, because I feel if I don't I'll have panick attacks and possible a seizure...

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Male User Gallery

#558803 - 05/27/11 08:01 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

still beLIEve said:

so what do you think about all the psychedelic research that's going on?

--------------------

~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Invisiblestill beLIEve
State Property..Again
Male

Loc: a world thats not my own
Re: Mushrooms and addiction [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #558979 - 05/28/11 01:16 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Big_tiggy said:
yeah thats what im doin, I've already gone a day and a half without, feelin pretty shitty, i figure another day and a half - 2 days and ill be ready... besides theres a huge festival in town, thinkin I might hit that up the last day

personally, from my experience a few days is nothing. go to some AA meetings if thats what you need, get off the sauce for an extended period of time (at least 3-4 months) and then take shrooms on a clear head to evaluate where you are, where you want to be, and how your going to get there.

Quote:

FurrowedBrow said:
Quote:

still beLIEve said:

so what do you think about all the psychedelic research that's going on?

i haven't read much about it, so im not going to comment on the research.

and im not trying to say psychedelics aren't a great tool. i am a firm believer in that, and know how much they have helped me. they are great great things.

that being said, a junkie two days off heroin, or an alchy 2 days off the sauce trying to use psychedelics as a cure all is silly. its not like 'hey i had this heavy trip while my mind is still bogged down with all the baggage inside me and booze still seeping out of my soul and not im all better'. that never worked for me at least.

from personal experience, i hate to get sober on my own. and then once i had the clear head take psychedelics to get what i wanted out of them.

that being said, im not saying thats the right way. hey maybe im completely wrong. but i know all about being an addict. and i know about trying to find some magical way out of the life i was living, and nothing working until i put in the work.

so thats just me, if it works for ya big tiggy all the power to you. im just sharing what worked for me.

--------------------
niteowl said:
See, that term pedo gets thrown around a lot.
Is a 16 year old guy having sex w/a 16 year old girl a pedophile?
If not, then how is a 30 year old considered a pedophile for doing the same thing?
I think y'all need to look up the definition for pedophile.

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Male User Gallery

#559025 - 05/28/11 09:51 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

well osmond was doing a bunch of research in this field in the 50s but with LSD.  He had a pretty great success rate in getting alcohol addicts off of the booze.  i know it's not a heroin addiction but there's still unmeasured advantage in doing the research to find out what kind of substances combined with what kind of therapy provides the greatest results.  I think we can agree that just taking mushrooms and thinking about your problems isn't going to magically lift you up out of that hole and onto a pedestal.  A trained therapist is what's needed here.

--------------------

~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract