Home | Community | Message Board

Royal Queen Seeds Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
No fly zone
    #542104 - 04/01/11 10:26 AM (13 years, 15 hours ago)

libia and i have the same solution, though my determination is more absolute.  Seriously, how do i get rid of all these tiny flies that appear to be coming from the soil (i leave a dome on one pot and there is a bunch of flies inside there a few hours later)

i got a fly strip that i've been keeping between the plants, but what else will work?

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDephect

Folding@home Statistics
Re: No fly zone [Re: phychotron]
    #542105 - 04/01/11 10:30 AM (13 years, 15 hours ago)

Mosquito Dunks, Beneficial Nematodes, Sand on top of your soil, are a few different ways to actually eliminate the problem in the soil.

A Hot Shot No Pest Stip will instate the no fly zone you request though for sure. Kills anything insect related that gets in my tents.

You can find them at King Soopers, ACE, Home Depot, Walmart, Safeway..

Invisiblec99hunter
 User Gallery
Re: No fly zone [Re: Dephect]
    #542109 - 04/01/11 10:56 AM (13 years, 15 hours ago)

I got a fly strip and hung it in the darkest corner of my tent and it's filled with the flies now and I see none any more. I only have one plant in soil and the rest in hydro so mine might have been easier to get control of :shrug: Either way, if that strip is not filling up with flies fast then something is wrong. Mine filled with A LOT more then I even thought I had, and fast.

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Loc: Bumfuckt Egypt
Re: No fly zone [Re: c99hunter]
    #542111 - 04/01/11 11:00 AM (13 years, 15 hours ago)

Doesn't perilite on top of the soil work? Something about it shedding the fuckers as they tried to make their way through it?

--------------------
Of course it's happening inside your head.
Why should that mean it isn't real?

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: No fly zone [Re: RasJeph]
    #542144 - 04/01/11 01:44 PM (13 years, 12 hours ago)

i have perlite on top and one fly strip-tube that I cut holes into the side of the box to allow me to handle it. it was actually quite loaded down when i looked at it right now.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

OfflineDephect

Folding@home Statistics
    #542176 - 04/01/11 03:23 PM (13 years, 10 hours ago)

Quote:

RasJeph said:
Doesn't perilite on top of the soil work? Something about it shedding the fuckers as they tried to make their way through it?

Perlite doesn't do that. Diatomaceous earth does.

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Loc: Bumfuckt Egypt
Re: No fly zone [Re: Dephect]
    #542194 - 04/01/11 04:24 PM (13 years, 9 hours ago)

You sure? I have a bro who grows in straight coir and uses some kind of beneficial fungus stuff to support his root system, so fungus gnats would kill his entire grow off, and I think all he uses is a bit of perilite on top.

I could be completely wrong.

--------------------
Of course it's happening inside your head.
Why should that mean it isn't real?

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Loc: Southwestern US Flag
    #542196 - 04/01/11 04:35 PM (13 years, 9 hours ago)

OK guys here is how I saved a buddy's apartment from a fungus gnat infestation like the one you speak of.

You Need:

1 half pint jar with lid and thread ring
small screwdriver or small drill bit (less than 1/4 inch is good)
apple cider vinegar
dish soap

basically all you do is punch 3 or 4 holes in the lid using the screwdriver or the drill bit and drill.

Fill about 1/8th to 1/4th of the way with apple cider vinegar

add a drop or two of dish soap to break the surface tension

Place in infested area and watch the magic!
The fungus gnats are attracted to something in the vinegar...I think like they are attracted to rotting fruit, they go into the jar and try to light on the water...but the lack of surface tension (via the dish soap) causes them to plunge right into their doom. :dancingshroom:

Hope this helps,
agmotes165

--------------------
“The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you” -NDT

Offlinekyuzo
Stranger Than Fiction

Re: No fly zone [Re: Data]
    #542363 - 04/02/11 04:19 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Mosquito dunks work well.  Most are just beneficial bacteria cultures that kill larva.

You can a) dissolve in water and do the obvious, or b) break up small chunks and sprinkle them on top of the soil

PS if you're getting fungus nats I'm assuming your plants might be staying too moist, in between watering, and only get it when growing plant species that like to be constantly wet (something I understand MJ can't stand)

Invisiblec99hunter
 User Gallery
Re: No fly zone [Re: Data]
    #542520 - 04/02/11 04:09 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

agmotes165 said:
OK guys here is how I saved a buddy's apartment from a fungus gnat infestation like the one you speak of.

You Need:

1 half pint jar with lid and thread ring
small screwdriver or small drill bit (less than 1/4 inch is good)
apple cider vinegar
dish soap

basically all you do is punch 3 or 4 holes in the lid using the screwdriver or the drill bit and drill.

Fill about 1/8th to 1/4th of the way with apple cider vinegar

add a drop or two of dish soap to break the surface tension

Place in infested area and watch the magic!
The fungus gnats are attracted to something in the vinegar...I think like they are attracted to rotting fruit, they go into the jar and try to light on the water...but the lack of surface tension (via the dish soap) causes them to plunge right into their doom. :dancingshroom:

Hope this helps,
agmotes165

I thought that only worked for fruit flies? Sweet if it works on fungus gnats too tho!

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: No fly zone [Re: c99hunter]
    #542819 - 04/03/11 05:59 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I didn't know I would have had at least this many flies, plus a bunch more had i not got this one fly stick. probably at least 50 on there since last week.

keeping my afgan kush ryder safe.

--------------------

Offlineimpgl

Re: No fly zone [Re: phychotron]
    #542924 - 04/03/11 10:03 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

sand

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck