Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinerustycobwebs
Stranger
Ventilation Questions
    #541550 - 03/30/11 03:13 AM (13 years, 2 days ago)

Ok so I've been a member of the shroomery for quite some time, and am gearing up for my excursion into Mary cultivation.

Right now I am looking for lights, as I can have my lights set up and going even if I don't have anything else so that later the electric company doesn't notice a huge spike in usage and come sniff me out. I plan to move to a new place by next year to get this going-sooner if i can come up with the cash and do the research.

So I'm tottering  back and forth between the cheapest light system I see, and one of the more expensive ones. Either way though, it seems like I'm going to have to put a hole in a wall somewhere to allow for ventilation, is this right?

Let's assume I'm in an apartment rented out, and putting holes in the wall isn't going to go over well. Is there any way to still utilize a closet without cutting holes in the wall and still keeping the room light tight?

I'm thinking, hey, there's a door right? I can put a hole in that! But will that really work?

Anyway it's getting late my eyes are bleeding from reading info here and elsewhere.

1: a store local to me carries a brand of light named Sunleaves. Is this brand any good? Should I just look for a recommended brand instead?

2: How do you ventilate in a closet without cutting a hole in the wall?

Thank you.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemcnastynasty
Columbus of the inner globe

Re: Ventilation Questions [Re: rustycobwebs]
    #541931 - 03/31/11 12:58 PM (13 years, 14 hours ago)

you could vent out a hole in the door if you wanted. Although I think buying a small amount of sheetrock and spackle to patch the hole in the wall would be far cheaper then a new door.

If you have ac and your light isnt too big you could probably keep it at acceptable temps without big ventilation.  I knew a guy who ran a 400hps in a closed closet with just a typical fan, it was hot, not ideal temps, but it worked.

as far as brands go I'm not sure.  I just get the replacement kits from htg and wire and mount them myself. Im sure they are cheapo parts but I've never had an issue.  Id bet that most brand name companies use the same cheap parts inside. You could buy better brand name kits like venture or solaballast and wire it up also..; its really not hard

Offlinebox_grower
smoke in bowl
 User Gallery

Loc: somewhere in mass...i thi...
Re: Ventilation Questions [Re: mcnastynasty]
    #541946 - 03/31/11 02:16 PM (13 years, 12 hours ago)

how are you running your closet b/c im growing mine in a bureau  which has a total of 6 CFL lights. two 42 watt and four 25 watt. the 42 watt is in a light hood i had a my brother make who is a sheet metalist, the other is on the back wall while the 25 watters are on the side walls. we have 2 fans inside running for circulation and one big fan built in on the top for exhaust. we are still working on the exhaust b/c we plan on putting a 250 in the box. we also have a power outlet inside the closet that we put there and the door on the bureau is a stained piece of wood with velcro so that it is disguised as the back of it, but i must agree that putting a hole in the wall is a good idea we're planning on doing that as soon as we get what we need.

--------------------
:mushroom2::stoned:duuuuuuuude......:stoned::mushroom2:

Offlinerustycobwebs
Stranger
Re: Ventilation Questions [Re: mcnastynasty]
    #542077 - 04/01/11 01:30 AM (13 years, 1 hour ago)

Quote:

criddopher said:
I just get the replacement kits from htg and wire and mount them myself. Im sure they are cheapo parts but I've never had an issue.  Id bet that most brand name companies use the same cheap parts inside. You could buy better brand name kits like venture or solaballast and wire it up also..; its really not hard

this?

Man im really glad you said that....I'm curious to know the difference between the two, i suppose this doesn't come with a reflector...hmmm Well its a hell of a lot cheaper too though, and seems to be the exact same thing as a 400watt HPS. It says no exposed wiring, and easy to follow instructions. What could go wrong :smile:

Offlinerustycobwebs
Stranger
Re: Ventilation Questions [Re: box_grower]
    #542078 - 04/01/11 01:36 AM (13 years, 1 hour ago)

Quote:

box_grower said:
how are you running your closet

Right now I'm running nothing, just getting prepared to run it within the next 12 months and looking to spread out the cost over that time as well to make it easier to afford.

I'd like to get a 400 or 600 watt HPS (possibly a dual ballast to use MH bulbs during veg cycle but thats extra cost for bulb + backup bulb) and run the 4" dryer ducting from the hood and out of the closet, into homemade carbon filter.

Offlinebox_grower
smoke in bowl
 User Gallery

Re: Ventilation Questions [Re: rustycobwebs]
    #542170 - 04/01/11 02:48 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

it looks like u got a pretty good set up going on. check up on ebay sometimes you'll find great deals on lights such as red and blue wavelength bulbs

--------------------

Offlinebox_grower
smoke in bowl
 User Gallery

#542171 - 04/01/11 03:03 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

--------------------

Offlinebox_grower
smoke in bowl
 User Gallery

#542185 - 04/01/11 03:51 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

oh and how did u make the carbon filter??

--------------------

Offlinemuse42
Zomberrific

Loc: West Coast
    #542355 - 04/02/11 01:44 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Let's assume I'm in an apartment rented out, and putting holes in the wall isn't going to go over well. Is there any way to still utilize a closet without cutting holes in the wall and still keeping the room light tight?

I'm thinking, hey, there's a door right? I can put a hole in that! But will that really work?

That's what I do.  I don't want vented air in the walls of my apartments. Neighbors would surly smell.  So I went with the door and it works great.

--------------------
It looks like it's going to be another Gravity Bong type day...

Offlinedonamok
Stranger
Re: Ventilation Questions [Re: muse42]
    #665388 - 04/09/13 02:32 AM (10 years, 11 months ago)

I have a trick to improve ventilation in homes.
If possible put a small window at ceiling level on the north side wall of every room like living room, kitchen and bathroom etc.
It will bring a continuous air flow to your home. Try it.

Edited by donamok (04/09/13 10:58 PM)

Offlinesveumy
seeker of enlightenment
Male User Gallery

Loc: its cold
Re: Ventilation Questions [Re: donamok]
    #665515 - 04/10/13 10:42 AM (10 years, 11 months ago)

When I grew in my appartment closet I cut two holes in the ceiling using a 4in hole saw.  Pulling cool air in from the attic and hot air into the attic.  The air Exchange was great especially in the winter due to the drop in temps.  I pulled exhaust through a carbon filter and there was no smell. 
When I moved out I took the 4in circles put them back in their holes and tapped them with sheetrock tape hit it with some flat white rattle can and you couldn't tell I was there.  No one looks closely at a closet ceiling.
I have also heard that some people just open the door.  This didn't work for me.  When I opened the closet door the whole two bedroom apt would smell. 
Smaller lights and good fans keep the door closed or big lights, bigger fans and either cut to vent or open the door.  There are other more efficient ways to cool your lights but they are pricey. 

Edited by sveumy (04/10/13 10:52 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds