Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
I need a shopping list...
    #535479 - 03/10/11 11:21 AM (13 years, 21 days ago)

So, this morning, my 4x4 tent arrived in the mail, and I'm expecting my 1k watt mh/hps light system to arrive today as well. As I don't have ANYTHING for growing here at my new apartment, I'm gonna have to go on a shopping spree. While spending money is always a blast, I've got to make sure I keep myself controlled so I don't spend a grand at the hydro shop.

Anyways, I'm going to be doing DWC. I'm starting with two plants as mothers. They'll be in 5 gallon buckets with hydroton and rooted in a rockwool cube.

So, here's what I'm pretty sure I'm gonna end up getting:

Nutes: Techniflora's "Recipe for Success" starter kit. Comes with BC Grow, bloom & boost, and a small amount of each of the following: Rootech cloning gel, Thrive alive Red and Green, Awesome Blossoms, Magical, Sugar daddy, and Root 66. (Only $35, and as I'm pretty new to this, I figured with a kit with everything I need + instructions, I'll be able to do well)

Rockwool

1 air pump

2 air stones

2 black buckets

Digital PH tester

EC/TDS/PPM meter (?) I'm not familiar with these at all, honestly. These I could definitely use advice on. There's a "continuous Tri-Meter" I've been looking at that measures Ph, temp and PPM or EC... Is that worth the $233 that they're asking for it?

Inline Fan and Filter (I'm probably ordering this online, a 425 CFM fan with a carbon filter for $200).

Ducting for fan (hood is a 6" vented hood)

This is all I'm able to think of for the time being...

I'm considering getting what the hydro shop calls a "natural co2 system". It's a bill fifty, and it's supposed to last about 8-9 months... I've never seen one of these before, and I was wondering if anyone else has ever seen or used one of these before, and whether or not they're worth investing in.

God, I'm hella excited! I've only ever gotten to help others with their grows. This will be my first ever on my own...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDephect

Folding@home Statistics
Re: I need a shopping list... [Re: Tank333]
    #535498 - 03/10/11 12:20 PM (13 years, 21 days ago)

Get a Hanna. They have a pH/Temp/TDS meter combo. You might want to get one for PPM if you don't know how to read TDS. The Tri Meter is submersed into your res so all of your buckets need to be connected a res.

Also for your Air Pump I would advise on getting a Hydrofarm Active Aqua. These things blast fucking air. Get some good air stones. The Eco ones at the hydro store are great, they get clogged though after a few runs.

I would buy the fan and make my own filter. It will save you some money and you can refill it when needed. If you don't like saving money then buy a filter.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=509470

CO2 is there for when you have everything dialed in and want larger yields. I would not be fucking around with it at this point.

Don't forget the small things too. Like duct clamps.

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Re: I need a shopping list... [Re: Dephect]
    #535505 - 03/10/11 12:50 PM (13 years, 21 days ago)

You actually suggested the very air pump that I was looking at getting at the hydro store. He's got one with two outlets for like $11, and that'll work perfect until I'm ready to cut clones.

As for making my own carbon scrubber, I think I'd rather go with the package deal I found online. It's $200 for the fan and scrubber, and the 6" fan "supposedly" is rated at 440 cfm. Here's the link to what I'm probably gonna get. I just think it'd be about the same price to buy a new one like this as it is to make your own. I'm gonna be buying my mother tent from this site, so it makes sense to do them both on the same order, and save on shipping.

Ducting will probably be ordered from the same site, and they throw in free duct clamps. Unfortunately, the tent I ordered didn't come with the cool 90 degree vent holes, so I'll probably have to buy some ducting flanges as well.

As for the temp/ph/tds meter, I'm not going to have a single res. To start with at least, I'm gonna have two mothers, each in a black 5 gallon bucket. My wife wants to spend the six large on an ebb and grow system with a 55 gallon res and everything, but I just don't think we're gonna be able to afford something like that for a while... Would a single dipstick-style meter be better for me right now?

OfflineDephect

Folding@home Statistics
    #535511 - 03/10/11 01:09 PM (13 years, 21 days ago)

You won't be disappointed with those ActiveAir pumps. compared to some lower quality aquarium pumps I bought these things are king.

Okay. If your not getting into serious hydroponics then don't get a meter at all. Get some pH Indicator, General Hydroponics sells it. Its a little dye and you drop it into a vial with your nutrient/water and it changes a color specific to what pH it's at. I buy little bottles for $6. Get some of their pH Up and Down too.

I knew someone who bought a filter like that off the internet and it came smelling like straight up sulfur for some reason :shrug: On top of that it was dented as shit. If your going to buy a filter get a good one from the hydro store. Or you can build one that is refillable and cheap. I don't think I will ever buy a carbon filter off the internet though.

The boxes of flexi ducting only include 2 Duct Clamps. If you are rigging from filter to light to exhaust then you need more then 2 duct clamps. Ive learned this before and had to make a second trip. Better to have some extra lying around too because sometimes they can be finicky and bend at the screw attachment and once that happens they are fucked and pretty much unusable

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Re: I need a shopping list... [Re: Dephect]
    #535517 - 03/10/11 02:12 PM (13 years, 21 days ago)

Quote:

Dephect said:
You won't be disappointed with those ActiveAir pumps. compared to some lower quality aquarium pumps I bought these things are king.

Okay. If your not getting into serious hydroponics then don't get a meter at all. And what do you mean by "serious hydroponics"? We're only starting with two mothers, but once we cut clones, we'regoing to have either 13 or 28 plants in a SOG. It depends as to whether or not we obtain another card before we cut clones.

Get some pH Indicator, General Hydroponics sells it. Its a little dye and you drop it into a vial with your nutrient/water and it changes a color specific to what pH it's at. I buy little bottles for $6. Get some of their pH Up and Down too. So, I always  wondered about these though. The water you're starting with isn't clear anymore after you've added your nutes. That's not going to affect the end color of the water once you've put the test drops in? I'd honestly ALMOST rather pay the $80-90 for a digital one thats a bit easier to work...

I knew someone who bought a filter like that off the internet and it came smelling like straight up sulfur for some reason :shrug: On top of that it was dented as shit. Well, this is the same place I ordered my light from (which came about an hour ago), and I'm pretty sure I'll have decent success with it. If not, I'll send it back, and see how well their customer service actually is. Every time I've called about stock availability, they've been very helpful...

If your going to buy a filter get a good one from the hydro store. Or you can build one that is refillable and cheap. I don't think I will ever buy a carbon filter off the internet though.

The boxes of flexi ducting only include 2 Duct Clamps. If you are rigging from filter to light to exhaust then you need more then 2 duct clamps. Ive learned this before and had to make a second trip. Better to have some extra lying around too because sometimes they can be finicky and bend at the screw attachment and once that happens they are fucked and pretty much unusable. So, extras... order several extra clamps...

OfflineDephect

Folding@home Statistics
    #535520 - 03/10/11 02:33 PM (13 years, 21 days ago)

Serious Hydroponics as in you have a hydroponic system or two. If I was doing hydro again I would make the effort to get a meter instead of indicator for precision. With soil its less needed. I was just unaware of what your doing. What kind of system your mothers will be in. What kind of SOG set up your doing..etc..

Nope. Color of the nute solution will not effect the color of the pH reading. Plus when you poor a little of your solution into their test vial it's pretty clear. Sometimes I barely notice any color except when looking at it in the gallon jug. This is the easiest and its pretty reliable. If you are just doing SOIL then you are good to go with some of this. Just make sure your solution is yellow/golden yellow when 3-4 drops of indicator is added.

You don't have to have several extra clamps just make sure you have a few. Its sure as hell aggravating when your all excited smoking a bowl setting up your system and you don't have a certain part and have to go out again and get it.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies