Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTheProdigy
Stranger
Considering my first grow, please guide me!
    #532783 - 03/03/11 02:53 PM (13 years, 28 days ago)

Considering doing my first grow of marijuana and i think my closet would be a good place. it's roughly 5ftx2ftx5.5ft
but it could be made higher if some modifications were made :laugh: It's also right next to a window.

Has anyone ever done this? did you have a helpful guide you followed that I could have? I'm just looking for a basic rundown on what sort of equipment i would need and how to do it etc. so if you have a website/article/thread you can link or can write up a descrip. yourself that would be much appreciated, thanks.

Also open to any other approaches you think I should consider (growing out in the open in my back yard is not an option)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineIngrimus
Stranger

Re: Considering my first grow, please guide me! [Re: TheProdigy]
    #532788 - 03/03/11 03:17 PM (13 years, 28 days ago)

Is smell a concern in your house?
Do you have plans for a carbon filter?

Flat white paint, or that white or silver rollout with the black backing (tip of my tongue but i'm sure almost everyone else here could name it for you) (Mylar?)

What're you doing for lighting? and venting any heat caused by that lighting

Hydro or soil or what?

Got timers? not shitty timers?

Are you going to have a constant grow going in there? (plans to segment a seperate mother/clone room and/or curing area?)

How many plants?

Got nutes?

Also watch the double posting =P mr. grow room design copypasta to cultivation :wink:

I'm talking with a cat crawling all over me for food, so I can't really think atm, but if you answer those questions I'll be happy to help you out if I can.

oh, C02? (probably not but figured I'd ask)

Edited by Ingrimus (03/03/11 03:19 PM)

OfflineIngrimus
Stranger

Re: Considering my first grow, please guide me! [Re: Ingrimus]
    #532789 - 03/03/11 03:18 PM (13 years, 28 days ago)

sry for double post; too lazy to click edit now. :rolleyes:

Are you planning on keeping your closet as a clothing closet as well? (part of it?) cause your clothes will reek like dank and that's not for everyone

I grow in a similar closet, actually about a 1.5' narrower.
Soil, home compost that we add everything from leftover 20/20/20 water and salmon fertilizer at the end of the season to horse poo, coffee grounds and leftover coco coir; then balance it out with hydrated lime. (not that it matters, just letting you know how I roll, more convinient then hauling a bag of dirt up from the store or digging a hole (so...so...so many rocks) ;D)

I nute it with weak 30.10.10 to start and end up finishing my nutes with 20.20.20 diluted weak in my water jug I keep for em (I'm sure people have better nute mixes and feeding plans, thats up to you to decide)

I honestly use a BUNCH of 23w CFLs :rolleyes: as I have a bunch of splitters and no shortage of bulbs.

My friend dropped my box with my HPS and MH ballasts and bulbs; so I've been without for some time, but at least now I don't have to worry about heat at all xD

But seriously, I want my HPS and MHs back; made quite a difference in the crop (mostly yield, but a tiny bit less potent)

Ah to have cash to spend on shiny things...

Newho, I can grow anywhere from 1 to probably 12 plants, max i've done was 8 and i think that's best, as 10 would be a bit too much for my space and 12 would require serious training to keep it all working and not get bumper-weed

I have white mylar on my walls, and the walls themselves are white underneath (the closet was already white so no extra work for me)

Don't need heat venting with this setup, but for my HPS/MH (and smell) I have a big shiny stretchy venting tube that runs through a homemade laundry basket carbon filter and exits anywhere near my window I wish (I just attached some big fishing leads to it so the end sits on whatever flat surface I put it on)

I bake bread most days, and have a love for sourdough; so I keep my mothersponge in a large glass jar with a tube in the lid to better direct the c02; does it help? I don't know I've never grown without it (cept outdoor) because my sponge is years old and I love it as much as I love my boomers and my sticky green ladies :crazy2: so they all share a happy home (mushies also put out c02 so that might factor in to my c02 imput :shrug:).

Dunno what I missed, sure there's something but I or another person can cover anything I missed (or replace my misinformed information)
:mushroom2: :peace:

Grow on brother.
Grow on.

Edited by Ingrimus (03/03/11 03:40 PM)

OfflineTheProdigy
Stranger
    #532795 - 03/03/11 03:44 PM (13 years, 28 days ago)

Quote:

Ingrimus said:
Is smell a concern in your house?
Do you have plans for a carbon filter?

Flat white paint, or that white or silver rollout with the black backing (tip of my tongue but i'm sure almost everyone else here could name it for you) (Mylar?)

What're you doing for lighting? and venting any heat caused by that lighting

Hydro or soil or what?

Got timers? not shitty timers?

Are you going to have a constant grow going in there? (plans to segment a seperate mother/clone room and/or curing area?)

How many plants?

Got nutes?

Also watch the double posting =P mr. grow room design copypasta to cultivation :wink:

I'm talking with a cat crawling all over me for food, so I can't really think atm, but if you answer those questions I'll be happy to help you out if I can.

oh, C02? (probably not but figured I'd ask)

smell is a concern, yes. but i will only have like 1-3 plants
I would like to do soil but im open to all suggestions.
as for the other questions, you tell me. I'm trying to be as cost efficient as possible.

edit: no havent bought nutes or anything for that matter.
probably not constant grow, just see how this goes this 1 time.

Edited by TheProdigy (03/03/11 04:18 PM)

OfflineIngrimus
Stranger

#532803 - 03/03/11 04:17 PM (13 years, 28 days ago)

1-3 dank plants can reek up your house pretty good =P trust me.
Those Air sponge things you can get at the supermarket work pretty good if you're not super concerned (parents/roommates don't really care, just people at your house everyday)

I've actually been using one of these per grow (when the top gets dry I just cut an x into it, then when the x dries flip em over) when I have 1 or two plants going, just cause I'm too lazy to run another extension cord or install another socket for my fan/carbon filter) and its fine for me with my window cracked and an overhead fan on low
to each their own.

If you really need smell protection then you should invest in making yourself a carbon filter and output vent/fan for your closet, there's lots and lots of great teks on making one on the cheap.

If you're planning on growing after this but still want something with some oomph you might consider a new gen LED light panel or two, I've never used one but have friends that have great success with them (read up on them before you just go buy though; different spectrums and such)

Otherwise go with a cheap HPS/MH combo pack or CFLs, HPS and MH are pretty heavy duty on the electric bill though (as opposed to led and CFL at least) but if your space calls for it (and you install proper venting) they are the classic choices and could end up less then running 20+ CFLs.
but for 1-3 plants I'd just get a bunch of CFLs and splitters or a few LED panels, but that(the CFLs)'s what I'm using now so I'm probably bias

I personally dig soil. (get it? ha ha)
It's just so nice to smoke something grown out of dirt you've inspected and know is rich and flavourful; but a well flushed hydro is nothing I'd ever turn down; so it's up to you, have you looked into bubble buckets? dead easy and works awesome.

Make yourself a note to self:
Look up bubble bucket teks.

Timers you need unless you just want a mother or are growing autoflowering plants, and even then they're better to have then to have not.

You can get flat white paint for cheap, but I got my mylar pretty cheap too so check around.

OfflineTheProdigy
Stranger
    #532805 - 03/03/11 04:27 PM (13 years, 28 days ago)

Quote:

Ingrimus said:
1-3 dank plants can reek up your house pretty good =P trust me.
Those Air sponge things you can get at the supermarket work pretty good if you're not super concerned (parents/roommates don't really care, just people at your house everyday)

I've actually been using one of these per grow (when the top gets dry I just cut an x into it, then when the x dries flip em over) when I have 1 or two plants going, just cause I'm too lazy to run another extension cord or install another socket for my fan/carbon filter) and its fine for me with my window cracked and an overhead fan on low
to each their own.

If you really need smell protection then you should invest in making yourself a carbon filter and output vent/fan for your closet, there's lots and lots of great teks on making one on the cheap.

If you're planning on growing after this but still want something with some oomph you might consider a new gen LED light panel or two, I've never used one but have friends that have great success with them (read up on them before you just go buy though; different spectrums and such)

Otherwise go with a cheap HPS/MH combo pack or CFLs, HPS and MH are pretty heavy duty on the electric bill though (as opposed to led and CFL at least) but if your space calls for it (and you install proper venting) they are the classic choices and could end up less then running 20+ CFLs.
but for 1-3 plants I'd just get a bunch of CFLs and splitters or a few LED panels, but that(the CFLs)'s what I'm using now so I'm probably bias

I personally dig soil. (get it? ha ha)
It's just so nice to smoke something grown out of dirt you've inspected and know is rich and flavourful; but a well flushed hydro is nothing I'd ever turn down; so it's up to you, have you looked into bubble buckets? dead easy and works awesome.

Make yourself a note to self:
Look up bubble bucket teks.

Timers you need unless you just want a mother or are growing autoflowering plants, and even then they're better to have then to have not.

You can get flat white paint for cheap, but I got my mylar pretty cheap too so check around.

ya ill probably want some info on the carbon fan. can you link me a tek?

electric bill is an issue too, so LED is something i will want to look into, is there an article or something you can link me to?

im going with soil

my closet is already white too.

i know about the concept of bubbel buckets, just dont know how to make em

OfflineIngrimus
Stranger

#532806 - 03/03/11 04:34 PM (13 years, 28 days ago)

If you're just doing a simple cheap closet grow with no real thinking or cares:

Good size pot for each plant (make sure you have the tea saucer things for em, or risk excess water running out)
at least 2-3 CFLs per plant
box of water soluble 20.20.20
Soil for said pot
rocks/etc. for drainage in the bottom of said pot
x2 plates and paper towel to germinate seeds
(optional: peat/compost/newspaper pots to grow seedlings and sex them in before planting (pot and all) in your big pot)

Done.

Germinate
Plant
Feed with water and TINY (like 10ml to a gallon is what I use) amount of 20.20.20 dissolved in said water
Keep watering with the 20.20.20 water, don't overwater.
Switch light cycles
Flush with pure clean water 2-4 weeks before harvest.
Chop
Trim
Hang
Bag
Jar
Bong.

But you seem like you'd benefit from the bubble bucket, I use my closet as a ramshackle madscientist lab, so I'd rather keep with a pot of soil as it affords me a bit more space (not a huge amount more though, and buckets are cool)

But then you gotta worry about your waters nutes and PH.

Think about it and decide how much you're willing to invest

PH meters aren't that much, and hydro is tasty.
But if you have limited cash and need to cover smell I'd build a carbon filter before a bubble bucket.

OfflineIngrimus
Stranger

#532809 - 03/03/11 04:43 PM (13 years, 28 days ago)

There's lots of teks, use the search function of this very site and you'll find a few I promise.

Basically bucket you blacken, add airstones and water
plug it in.
check ph/nute/water level
???profit!

sorry for linking off site but I just googled quick as I packed a bowl
Carbon Filter DIY
Bubble Bucket DIY

I cannot link you to an LED link or site because having never used them I'd feel bad if I linked you to a shitty one.

From what I know you want a fairly specific spectrum\ratio of LEDs but I have no real idea, my friends are at work so I can't really call em up atm and ask em about their grow panels

Plus there's controversy over if they work that well; my friends (and my eye and lung opinions on their plants) say they work just ducky.
Alot of people try and grow on 1st gen LED panels and get pissed off cause they suck.

Don't just go on ebay and find the cheapest panel you can find, search on this site/rollitup/grasscity/etc. and inform yourself on LED grow panels.

Sorry =/ I'd feel really bad though, and I need a bong toke so I don't wanna go searching and searching at the moment.

A discussion on LED panels (Black looking leaves sound cool to me)

Here's a link to a discussion, but I hold no responsibility for what's said or what you do.

They seem expensiv(ish) but more then worth it if you plan on growing in the future (7$ a month? for equivilant of 400w HPS and no heat? maybe I'll be scratching my pennies together for one of these bad boys)

Edited by Ingrimus (03/03/11 04:50 PM)

OfflineTheProdigy
Stranger
    #532813 - 03/03/11 04:51 PM (13 years, 28 days ago)

ehhh thanks for the effort.

OfflineIngrimus
Stranger

#532823 - 03/03/11 04:58 PM (13 years, 28 days ago)

No problem, everything you need to grow is there aside from light cycles, specific nutrient feed routines, handling different strains, and sealing off your closet.

I'd just do the CFL soil 20.20.20water with timers honestly.

Losing my big lights has really made me connect with my plants more; I have a really strong indica that flies me off into headspace like a 100% sativa, and I swear it's because the plant knows thats how I like my stone (also picked mostly cloudy trichs, but this is like BAM. IM A SECRET SATIVA)

OfflineIngrimus
Stranger

#532825 - 03/03/11 05:01 PM (13 years, 28 days ago)

It makes it seem alot more trouble then it is, two of those air sponges one opened as soon as it starts to smell and the other (if needed) during flowering inside your closet and you should be smell free.
CFLs are very low heat and low power drain.
soil is easy enough, just make sure there's no woodbugs/etc.
Hardest part is not breaking your light cycles and not smoking it before it's done curing :stoned:

let us know how it goes.

OfflineTheProdigy
Stranger
    #532832 - 03/03/11 05:20 PM (13 years, 28 days ago)

so can u tell me what i need to buy? i look on amazon for cfl and light bulbs came up so i typed cfl panel and nothing came up.

and how would i set it up? i have no experience with wiring.

can anyone give me like a list saying "things to buy: ..., ..., ..., ..."
then "set up", then "light cycles" etc..

i know thats a lot of work but someone has to have made a step by step guide for this b4. I have tests in school and work to worry about, I dont really have time to spend researching all the things about growing weed, i just need someone else who has done that to tell me what to do.

im still pretty lost so if someone can tell me what to buy and what to do with that stuff and etc... i would appreciate it..

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Loc: Bumfuckt Egypt
    #532892 - 03/03/11 07:26 PM (13 years, 28 days ago)

I just wanted to say, pretty sweet popcorn maker.

--------------------
Of course it's happening inside your head.
Why should that mean it isn't real?

OfflineIngrimus
Stranger

Re: Considering my first grow, please guide me! [Re: RasJeph]
    #532938 - 03/03/11 09:07 PM (13 years, 28 days ago)

Quote:

RasJeph said:
I just wanted to say, pretty sweet popcorn maker.

Now you wouldn't be saying I'm full of hot air would you? :tongue2:
Just kidding, I know wouldn't you want to make some pot-corn in that with some nice greenbutter? :crazy2: movie night at prods!
compact fluorescent lightbulbs are what you want (if you decide to go with CFLs, HPS is (IMO) the best all around "power light" but requires ballast and heat venting.

get your light, whatever you choose to use (High pressure sodium (good all around), Metal Halide (good flowerer) Compact fluorescent lights (cheap and decently efficent).
Get seeds
Get paper towel
Get 2 plates
wet paper towels and squeeze out, fold in half with seeds in between
place on plate
place plate on top of plate
add a few drops of water or better yet a mist from a spray bottle
put in warmish dark place
wait 2 days, check seeds
sprouted? no? then:
wait another day, check seeds
repeat
Your seed(s) sprouted?
Get pot(s)
Get rocks
Line rocks 1-2 inches deep along bottom of pot for drainage
Get soil (potting soil or moisure control makes a good mix to lighten up heavy soils)
Put soil in pot, don't compact, but don't worry about keeping it super fluffy.
make indent about half an inch deep in desired planting spot
place seed sprout side up
cover loosely with dirt
mist lightly or add a few drops of water
put under 18 or 24 hour light
wait
sprouts popped the soil? yes?
18on/6off light cycle
water (with regular water) when soil is starting to get lighter (in colour as well as weight, mostly colour)
You can also get a broken piece of terra cotta and shove it in your pot, it'll darken and lighten according to soil moisture
soil should be moist but not soaking wet
wait 3-8+ weeks, or until you feel your plant to be strong enough to support the growth you crave, start watering with a VERY diluted 20.20.20 plant food (maybe 15ml to a gallon) keep doing this until 2-4 weeks before harvest.
switch light cycle to 12on/12off
Sex them
weed out the males (kill/transplant FAR away/etc.)
keep them on 12/12
wait
wait
wait
get a 30x or better microscope/magnifying glass/jewelers loupe (cheap at radio shack or jewelers supply store)
wait
wait
wait
wait
wait
wait
dont forget to wait
switch water to pure water 2-4 weeks before harvest (you can add a little bit of blackstrap molasses to the water to make your buds sweeter if you wish)
cut down when trichomes are mostly cloudy and amber has just started to present itself
Trichome Chart

you can cut off fan and other large leaves before or after hanging for a few days, your bud will dry slower with them on but will leach out more icky stuff (this is good) due to the slower drying process
hang to dry for 2-7 days in a cool dryish (not bone dry arizona desert dry, but not humid either) dark area
when bud tips become crispy trim off all the leaves you don't want on your buds (always trim the tips of the leaves off, even if you're making shakey bud, the tips make the smoke harsh) place in brown paper bag with strips of newspaper or unbleached paper; roll top shut and keep in bag for 3-7 days (open every day for moisture and air exchange, try and keep the buds from touching with strips of paper, watch out for mold!)
manicure buds to their final glory; if you haven't already (patience, only way to do this)
you can strip the buds off the stems at this point if you so choose; i enjoy breaking it right off the stem to smoke, but that's just for personal preference, I notice no difference in potency/taste/smell/look
place in airtight jar(s)(don't crowd the buds in) in a dark cool place; open them 1-2 times a day to exchange the air and release the moisture. (adding some lime or other citrus peel (grapefruit yum) to your jars is one way to refresh it if you've overdried your bud, or just a nice way to add a little flavour and sweetness.)
after 2 weeks or so in the jars your buds should be ready to smoke!

Take your leftover stems and make stem tea or butter
same with the shake, or smoke it if it's crystally and you need something to smoke as the rest cures (dries in like 3 days in a dark place with mild draft, 1-2 with a 60w light shining on it (it'll be harsher and greener tasting, but I bong my shake when I smoke it so I don't even notice)

There ya go.

Fill in the blanks as for smell (get a few air fresheners, smokestop spray, air sponges, an air purifier and ionizer, or just a cracked open window, whatever works for you)

Nothing about C02, if you really want to use it just go buy yourself a bottle, or grow large amounts of mushrooms around the plant.

throw dirt in compost, mix it up with other compost.
rinse (pot) and repeat.
????
pot-fit!

Edited by Ingrimus (03/03/11 09:40 PM)

OfflineIngrimus
Stranger

#532957 - 03/03/11 09:26 PM (13 years, 28 days ago)

Quote:

TheProdigy said:
so can u tell me what i need to buy? i look on amazon for cfl and light bulbs came up so i typed cfl panel and nothing came up.

and how would i set it up? i have no experience with wiring.

this is a splitter, you can find ones that split to 3, but they're rare where i am.

That's the nice thing about CFLs is that they work on a standard socket I run 3+ sockets with multiple splitters plugged into a heavy duty powerbar (splitters are 660w max so I can run 28 23w bulbs or 50 13w bulbs off a single socket (but I don't))

Simply because you have no experience with wiring I cannot advise you to use a HPS or MH light as they both require heavier duty wiring then a simple socket; look it up and go for it just be careful and shut your house power off first =P

For CFLs:
get a hook & clip and hang your sockets by their cords or a support line (with attached splitters and bulbs) above your plants, allowing you to adjust your light hight as necessary with the hook and clip (might need to put in a few eyehooks or something, your job's to figure that part out)
plug in, enjoy.

As for light setup I use 3 splitters to a light like so 

| <-- socket
                /  \ <-- splitter with 1 light bulb
              /\    /\ <-- splitter with 2 light bulbs

same as other side with 3 bulbs to a side for a total of 6 bulbs per socket.  (or 8850 lumens per socket)

You need:
Seeds
Pots with saucer to catch excess water.
Soil (good compost and/or potting and/or moisture control soil)
Rock or gravel
20.20.20 water soluble fertilizer or your choice of fertilizer
Paper towels
2 Plates
Air fresheners
Heavy duty timer (worth the extra cash instead of regular duty)
Mylar/white posterboard/tinfoil even (for containing, directing, and keeping the light on your plants)
30x or better magnification device
trimming scissors
latex or non-latex surgical gloves (helps keep the resin off your fingers during harvest)
(For CFL lighting):
Sockets
Bulbs
Heavy duty Powerbar
Heavy duty Extension cord

Don't know if I'm forgetting anything

Edited by Ingrimus (03/03/11 09:35 PM)

OfflineIngrimus
Stranger

#532969 - 03/03/11 09:45 PM (13 years, 28 days ago)

Damn sir, I haven't even written out this much information for myself.
About anything
Ever.

Y'all owe me grow log pics :themoreyouknow: :wink:

Made me feel like I was helping someone out *sniff* ITS SO BEAUTIFUL

let us know how it goes or if you have questions.

if you have a budget let us know.
so do I ;D

The splitters are about 4-5 bucks each and the bulbs are WAY WAY WAY less expensive in the bigger packages
Sockets are about the same price
Wiring and plugs are cheap, but with no experience you might just want to buy pre-assembled sockets with plugs, might cost you 2-3 bucks more each

OfflineTheProdigy
Stranger
    #533305 - 03/04/11 05:22 PM (13 years, 27 days ago)

Quote:

Ingrimus said:
Damn sir, I haven't even written out this much information for myself.
About anything
Ever.

Y'all owe me grow log pics :themoreyouknow: :wink:

Made me feel like I was helping someone out *sniff* ITS SO BEAUTIFUL

let us know how it goes or if you have questions.

if you have a budget let us know.
so do I ;D

The splitters are about 4-5 bucks each and the bulbs are WAY WAY WAY less expensive in the bigger packages
Sockets are about the same price
Wiring and plugs are cheap, but with no experience you might just want to buy pre-assembled sockets with plugs, might cost you 2-3 bucks more each

Thank you so much for all the help, for the record it was not in vein.. i sat here with a note pad and took notes haha. having said that i have a few final questions :laugh:

Where did you buy your sockets/bulbs? just a home depot or a lowes?

Do I need a specific size splitter/socket for the 23watt CFL's for everything to work together?

How many gallons should the pot be? not sure how big i should get

Will the mylar seal the closet or is there something that i need to do?

I dont know what compost/potting/moisture control soil's are or what the benefits are of each, which do u think i should use? can i get it at a home depot?

How do i check for woodbugs in the soil? a place will sell u soil with bugs in it!?!?

How much water should i give the plant and how often? (I know when to switch to the 20.20.20 water, no worries there)

So by the diagram u tried to draw describing your lighting i take it your lights are staggered? cuz you plug a splitter into a splitter right?

Lastly, is there any way you could post some pictures of your set up? like how high you keep your lights, what hooks you use to hold them, how far apart you keep the plants etc.

p.s.
Do I remember you saying something about being able to determine male/female plants b4 you put them in a pot? ill read through and see if i can find what i mean.

EDIT: found it
Quote:

(optional: peat/compost/newspaper pots to grow seedlings and sex them in before planting (pot and all) in your big pot)

confused by this.

EDIT 2: What about starting with a clone instead of a seed? i can get clones for 10 bucks each but i have to buy seeds in 10 packs for $85

1 last thing, can u recommend a strain? i like indica and sativa, but i would prefer sativa. I have access to all strains.
I'm thinking Blue Dream unless you know that it is really hard to grow or something.

Edited by TheProdigy (03/04/11 09:24 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates