Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

Why can’t the US legalize drugs? There’s ‘too much money in it,’ Clinton says * 1
    #527578 - 02/15/11 05:05 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/02/07/clinton-legalize-drugs-too-much-money/

In what will likely be seen as something of a Freudian slip by the US Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton said recently in a Mexican news interview that the United States cannot legalize drugs as a means of fighting the black market because "there is just too much money in it."

Asked by Denise Maerker of Televisa what she thought of drug legalization, Clinton said it was unlikely to work.

"There is just too much money in it," Clinton said. "You can legalize small amounts for possession, but those who are making so much money selling, they have to be stopped. They can’t be given an even easier road to take, because they will then find it in their interest to addict even more young people."

The comments drew criticism from legalization advocates who argued her position was a misunderstanding of the situation.

"Clinton's response illustrates not only the intellectual bankruptcy of the prohibitionist position but the economic ignorance of a woman who would be president," Jacob Sullum argued at Reason.com.

Clinton evidently does not understand that there is so much money to be made by selling illegal drugs precisely because they are illegal. Prohibition not only enables traffickers to earn a "risk premium" that makes drug prices much higher than they would otherwise be; it delivers this highly lucrative business into the hands of criminals who, having no legal recourse, resolve disputes by spilling blood.

At the Drug War Chronicle, Scott Morgan called Clinton's argument "perfectly incoherent" and argued it flew in the face of economic theory.

I can't help but wonder what everyone on the left would say if this preposterous analysis came from Sarah Palin, rather than Hillary Clinton. It's the sort of profound nonsense that ought to get you skewered by Jon Stewart, yet our Secretary of State will almost certainly get a free pass on misunderstanding literally everything about the escalating violence below our border.

Clinton's interview focused mainly on Mexico's drug war, which was launched in 2006 by President Felipe Calderon and has cost an estimated 34,000 lives, including more than 1,000 minors.

The toll's severity prompted former Mexican President Vicente Fox to come out in favor of legalizing drugs as a way of taking the steam out of organized crime.

President Calderon has not gone as far himself, but did approve legislation decriminalizing possession of small amounts of most recreational drugs, and has called for a debate on new approaches to dealing with drugs.

-- With additional reporting by Stephen C. Webster

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:
you know what i did in english class? I came to class stoned out of my mind every day, i chugged vodka in the back of class, i put dead fish in the ceiling tiles. i put a gallon of old milk and orange juice in the file cabinet before winter vacation. i brought snakes in a tied up sweater and let them loose during class. i didnt go to school to learn, i went because i had to. i didnt care, and i didn't fucking listen to that stupid bitch. and i still don't fucking care. i tore the pages out of her books and burned them, and threw away all the books in the class, two books per day.  :twobooks:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDr. SiekadellykM
Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ketamine Flag
Re: Why can’t the US legalize drugs? There’s ‘too much money in it,’ Clinton says [Re: THEBats]
    #527584 - 02/15/11 05:39 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

:facepalm:.

--------------------
The Kratom Report...

OfflineDRAGON
Doors of Perception
Male

Loc: Somewhere in the Universe
Re: Why can’t the US legalize drugs? There’s ‘too much money in it,’ Clinton says [Re: Dr. Siekadellyk] * 1
    #527598 - 02/15/11 06:23 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

@ Mrs.Clinton:

--------------------
"I know that I know nothing"

Edited by DRAGON (02/15/11 06:23 PM)

Invisibledouble
Diesel

Re: Why can’t the US legalize drugs? There’s ‘too much money in it,’ Clinton says [Re: DRAGON]
    #527826 - 02/16/11 03:39 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

:facepalm: concur

InvisibleDr. SiekadellykM
Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ketamine Flag
Re: Why can’t the US legalize drugs? There’s ‘too much money in it,’ Clinton says [Re: double] * 2
    #527830 - 02/16/11 03:58 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

--------------------
The Kratom Report...

InvisibleShr0000ooooms
Cannabis Sampler

Loc: Hindu Kush Mountains
Re: Why can’t the US legalize drugs? There’s ‘too much money in it,’ Clinton says [Re: THEBats]
    #527864 - 02/16/11 05:16 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

THEBats said:

In what will likely be seen as something of a Freudian slip by the US Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton said recently in a Mexican news interview that the United States cannot legalize drugs as a means of fighting the black market because "there is just too much money in it."

Asked by Denise Maerker of Televisa what she thought of drug legalization, Clinton said it was unlikely to work.

"There is just too much money in it," Clinton said. "You can legalize small amounts for possession, but those who are making so much money selling, they have to be stopped. They can’t be given an even easier road to take, because they will then find it in their interest to addict even more young people."

To addict eveen more young people? Is that even gramatically correct? Heroid addicted me.

But anyways, legalizing marijuana would take most, not all, dealers off the street. (if she's still talking about marijuana) Then again, some dealers may start to sell harder drugs to still make profit.

:shrug:

I don't really give a fuck, not like my opinions on an online forum will change anything.

--------------------
If I'm posting I'm high.

OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

Loc: PNW
Re: Why can’t the US legalize drugs? There’s ‘too much money in it,’ Clinton says [Re: Dr. Siekadellyk] * 1
    #528102 - 02/17/11 05:20 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Dr. Siekadellyk said:

+1

OfflineMr. Mojo Risin
This is the end
 User Gallery

Re: Why can’t the US legalize drugs? There’s ‘too much money in it,’ Clinton says [Re: Shr0000ooooms] * 1
    #530933 - 02/26/11 01:00 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Shr0000ooooms said:
Quote:

THEBats said:

I don't really give a fuck, not like my opinions on an online forum will change anything.

I think you are wrong about that.  I think your words (or anyone's) carry the potential to change a single live.  That person could then use what you said as inspiration to help motivate a hundred people into anti-prohibitionist action.  Try to change that perspective if you can.  I mean, that IS the reason we are here, right?  To learn from each other and stop the spread of ignorance that so heavily plagues not only our school systems but our highest levels of government too.  We have to learn from each others experiences and perspectives to help us get closer to the truth and a more ideal society.

--------------------
Albino Penis Envy grow log

From the errors of others, a wise man corrects his own.
Publilius Syrus

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds