Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineFugueRider
God! I Love Psychedelics!
 User Gallery

The Taste of My Bud
    #523620 - 02/05/11 09:12 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

This last harvest cycle is definitely the very best medicine I have been able to grow so far. I grew out some Train Wreck, and it is as potent as anything I have smoked out of a dispensary, and then some. This is really, really potent bud.

The problem is that it still has no taste/little bit of a bad taste. I gave my ladies a good three weeks of flush. I cured it almost to the exact room temps suggested by Jorge Cervantes in The Bible. It has been maybe three weeks of curing and then I smoked some.

So I'm stumped! With every other big problem, I have been able to form reasonable, and informed hypothesis which have usually turned out to be correct, and my growing has improved a lot. But I still can't get the taste right, and I don't know what else I can do.

So I'm going to give this bud another full month of cure....just to see if that might be the problem. In the meantime, does anyone else have any ideas?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCrayolaHalls
Dreams of Oceans
Male

Re: The Taste of My Bud [Re: FugueRider]
    #523657 - 02/05/11 10:16 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

What genetics and methods are you using?  Edit:  I reread your post and see Trainwreck was used.  I am guessing you did soil due to the long flush.  Is that right?

At first I was going to say the drying could really affect it, but it looks like you have that handled.  I can recall wanting to speed dry a few oz once and put it in a multi-level food dehydrator.  Temps never went over 106f, but it was the blandest I have ever tasted.  Kind of harsh too.  It got cracker dry and I had to rehydrate it a little or it was like smoking corn husks... except for the high.

--------------------
I am not a cannabis grower.  I find the cannabis growers to be the most open to experimenting and sharing out of all of the different botany groups I enjoy.  I frequently use the suggestions that I find to apply to own organic gardening and food production.

Edited by CrayolaHalls (02/05/11 10:17 PM)

OfflinePsuper
حشيش حشّاشين
 User Gallery

Loc: Left Coast
Re: The Taste of My Bud [Re: CrayolaHalls]
    #523724 - 02/05/11 11:28 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

If you are already drying them properly then getting them into a jar at the right time good.

Make sure you're filling jars loosely packed but still filled to the top, than seal lid.

Best advice though is to cure longer.  Like 5-7 weeks.  Don't open the jars too much and let the bud dry excessively.

--------------------
Shroomery.org

OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

Loc: PNW
Re: The Taste of My Bud [Re: Psuper]
    #523746 - 02/06/11 02:35 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Psuper said:
Best advice though is to cure longer.

OfflineFugueRider
 User Gallery

Re: The Taste of My Bud [Re: DungenessDank]
    #523761 - 02/06/11 06:08 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks everybody - Yes, I am growing in soil, and I flushed with fifteen gallons of water when I began the flush, and I forgot to mention that I have been curing in mason jars that I open maybe twice a day for a minute or so.

So I'll keep on curing and see how it all goes. Thanks again.

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Loc: Bumfuckt Egypt
    #523793 - 02/06/11 08:29 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I suggest molasses. Or, a different strain.

I've been mentioning it here for a while, my last grow was blueberry...and holy fuck, it really honestly tastes like blueberry. I hear so much about weed tasting like stuff, and I really thought it was all a bunch of bullshit until my last harvest. People smoke it and ask if I put that tasty puff shit on it or rolled it in a flavored paper :rolleyes: :lol:

--------------------
Of course it's happening inside your head.
Why should that mean it isn't real?

OfflineFugueRider
 User Gallery

Re: The Taste of My Bud [Re: RasJeph]
    #523805 - 02/06/11 08:41 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I'm growing out seven different strains this next time. I have three different Haze hybrids, and I LOVE the taste of Haze strains. So we'll see.

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

#523828 - 02/06/11 09:06 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I'm surprised nobody else mentioned molasses. Is that just for smell? I thought it was also for taste.

--------------------

OfflineFugueRider
 User Gallery

#523847 - 02/06/11 09:36 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I've never even heard of molases. The thing is that I have smoked bud that came from this cutting. And it tasted really, really good.

OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

Loc: PNW
    #523850 - 02/06/11 09:39 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

RasJeph said:
I'm surprised nobody else mentioned molasses. Is that just for smell? I thought it was also for taste.

I always thought molasses had to do with feeding the microherd :justdontknow:

Offlineshasha
aspiring sadhu

#523867 - 02/06/11 10:13 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

RasJeph said:

i've been reading a lot about molasses - and i gotta say i'm excited to use it. i'm starting week 6 of flowering tomorrow and am going to start adding molasses in my feeding regiment at around 1-2 tsp/gallon - thoughts?

i've read many threads that say this will improve aroma, taste, and yield by up to 20%! :dancer:

--------------------
"Today, a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration...that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There's no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather." - Bill Hicks

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Re: The Taste of My Bud [Re: shasha]
    #523868 - 02/06/11 10:16 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I use about a tablespoon per gallon :shrug:

I've heard to NOT USE IT IN HYDRO though, because it'll clog up your hoses. Double check in on that though because I don't know much about hydro.

I even feed it through flush. I had a plant I had to stop feeding it to because I could smell it from the road in front of my house :lol:. So yeah, I'd say it does make quite the difference. I doubt its going to magically improve shitty genes, but I can say first hand it brings out potential in plants that is already there.

--------------------

Offlineshasha
aspiring sadhu

#523882 - 02/06/11 10:53 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

sick i'll probably do the tbsp/gallon as well then, i'm growing soil/organic so this should be baaaallin :thumbup:

--------------------
"Today, a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration...that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There's no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather." - Bill Hicks

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Re: The Taste of My Bud [Re: shasha]
    #523899 - 02/06/11 11:45 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

That may be excessive. Read around, don't just take my word for it. I'm still quite the noob myself, but it has worked for me thus far :vaped:

--------------------

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Loc: No where ville, USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #523903 - 02/06/11 11:55 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

RasJeph said:

Me too, tho I'd recommend AN's Carbo Load or Botanicare's Sweet over molasses.
He may also want to add a Guano additive as well to help with smell and taste.
But also keep in mind drying and curing will greatly influence the taste and smell.

--------------------
:getstoned:

Invisiblewishcouldeletethis
Female User Gallery

Re: The Taste of My Bud *DELETED* [Re: FugueRider]
    #523931 - 02/06/11 12:56 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Post deleted by lampshadehelmet

Reason for deletion: k

OfflineFugueRider
 User Gallery

Re: The Taste of My Bud [Re: wishcouldeletethis]
    #524098 - 02/06/11 06:47 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Well, I feel like a total noob now. I thought you were talking about molasses as a strain of bud.

Hoo - Boy! Is there ever egg on my face now.

OfflineFugueRider
 User Gallery

#524110 - 02/06/11 07:00 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

lampshadehelmet said:
What kind of lighting do you use? Weak lighting can cause nugs to remain light green and immature looking, that definitely will smoke "greener" and nastier than better lit nugs.

I'm using a 1000 watt hps lighting system.

Quote:

lampshadehelmet said:

Quote:

lampshadehelmet said:
What are you feeding with and you are not feeding in excess? Nutrient burn?

I'm using Advanced. My plants didn't betray any visible nutrient burn, and looked really healthy. But I worked the PPM up to about 1200. So I am backing it off on this next cycle to maybe around 900 to see what happens.

Quote:

lampshadehelmet said:
Are you spraying plants with anything?( NEEM OIL, nutrients, etc..)

No

Quote:

lampshadehelmet said:
Molasses in large doses will alter the flavor of your nugs for the worse.

That may be a possibility then. I cant' remember which Advanced product has molasses in it, but if my PPM's were to high, then maybe that was the case. God, they sure looked healthy and vibrant though.

Quote:

lampshadehelmet said:
Is the area you are growing in, Disgusting? Dirty shitty air can make nugs taste just like the air.

Nope. I learned mycology before I started in with this hobby. So I know all about clean. I keep everything really clean. I bleach down my whole grow area after every flower cycle. I've got plenty of FEA coming into the room, and out of the room via duct work and fans. I also conduct my Zen practice in that room. It would drive me ape to be breathing in shitty air for a good stretch of my day every day. Nope. My area is really, really clean.

Quote:

lampshadehelmet said:
When you dry , keep your humidity around 50% and not excessively lower. A fast dry is the easiest way to make nugs taste terrible. Other than that, clean your pipe or use a Vaporizer.... if that don't work then throw the shit out and get some new genetics.

I dried everything really slow this time around. I was in no hurry whatsoever. I kept them in a cooler environment so that the drying would take a lot longer. I think I gave it a good two weeks to dry. The tweak I can make is to adjust my drying area to have the fifty percent humidity this time around.

I've smoked bud from this cutting and it was really good and tasty. I'm pretty stumped. I'm going to cure it for another month and see how it goes. In the meantime, I have a whole bunch of new genetics to play with this time around (this flower cycle). So we'll see how it all turns out after I make my tweaks.

The nice thing is that I am getting fairly decent at making hash. So if this doesn't work out, I can always turn it ito hash or something else like edibles.

OfflineFugueRider
 User Gallery

#524133 - 02/06/11 07:17 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

lampshadehelmet said:
Three weeks of flush is pretty extreme and not necessary. If you are having flavor issues that definitely is not the cause with so long of a flush.

How long would you recommend for flushing then?

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Loc: No where ville, USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #524139 - 02/06/11 07:23 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

FugueRider
That may be a possibility then. I cant' remember which Advanced product has molasses in it, but if my PPM's were to high, then maybe that was the case. God, they sure looked healthy and vibrant though.

Carbo Load is one choice they have, and another is Bud Candy.  I myself prefer the Carbo Load, but both work well.

--------------------
:getstoned:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds