Home | Community | Message Board

Royal Queen Seeds Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineoh_you_know
Stranger

very new
    #517456 - 01/23/11 09:27 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

im starting to read on on growing weed and im trying to keep my first grow basic and inexpensive. ive started 8 bag seeds and i have them in generic potting soil from the drugstore. it has some perlite in it. i also mixed it with verm. i need to transplant them to bigger pots. ive read enough to figure out not to use miracle-gro. i cant order stuff online and i dont wanna pay alot. im takin a trip to the garden store later to look around. theres no hydro stores around here.

this long post is more about my general overview of my grow and if some more experienced growers could gimme a few pointers.

so i plan on buyin a little peat moss and mixing it with the potting soil and perlite and verm.

im using a few types on florescent lights. one cfl thats more red and yellow then 2- 2 tube, 2ft floros. ill be growin in my tiny closet.

i plan on growing them all for like 6 weeks til i see some preflower signs. hopefully i catch the males early. if i dont see any signs by 8weeks ill just start flowering.

i guess ill check out nutes at the store and read a bit more online.

ill be doing LST with my plants so they take up less space.

thanks for reading

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleT-Rex
Herbsman
Male User Gallery

Loc: Devils Marbles Flag
Re: very new [Re: oh_you_know]
    #517459 - 01/23/11 09:35 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Welcome to the growery :bongload:
That soil mix sounds like it will do the trick for a first grow, could you tell us how many Watts those lights are though? And are you planning on upgrading your lights at all? If you were going to spend even a little money on a grow, I would spend it on lights.

Good choice on the LST, done right you can have a plant 10-12inches tall, but 2-3ft wide with a carpet of buds reaching out from the canopy :thumbup:

As far as nutes go, if you're not looking for anything expensive then don't reach for name brands, as long as you have something with a higher Nitrogen content than phosphorus and potassium it will do the trick for Veg. Look for the N-P-K ratio on the back if you're a bit lost.

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: very new [Re: T-Rex]
    #517469 - 01/23/11 09:41 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Welcome aboard!  Sucks you didn't get to us before you bought that crap ass soil from the drug store.  It might be ok for now, but, I'd look into getting something better.

Magash tested a new soil that can be found at home depot or lowes for 5 bucks a bag.  Check this Thread out to learn a little more.

Quote:

i cant order stuff online

Why not?  Got a hydro/grow shop nearby?  Ferts are gonna be a little tricky for you then, although if you do have a nursery nearby I'm sure we could help ya find something that would be better then miracle gro or schultz.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Offlineoh_you_know
Stranger

Re: very new [Re: coda]
    #518883 - 01/25/11 04:19 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

thanks guys. i read a nice little article a year or so back about having a nice little indoor grow using a bunch of floros. they didnt get real bigs nugs but they had plenty of crystals. so me and my buddy were going too but then we didnt so ive had the lights on other plants. i used a single cfl on my pepper and strawberry plant i grew. they flowered and produced fruit, it was apparently enough. now i added the standard floros. im just veggin them for now under the cfl the once they get bigger ill move them under the cfl and floros. i plan on vegging them for 6 weeks then switching to 12/12 and let them flower. right now i transplanted them from dixies to like little trash cans from dollar tree with holes drilled in the bottom. i mixed like 65% drugstore potting soil and 35% fine verm. then made it field capacity in distilled water with liquid nutes! i found some at the local nursery. then had Schultz and dyna gro. so i got dyna gro grow nutes. they are 7-9-5 and dyna gro bloom nutes that are 3-12-6.
so thats whats going on right now, they recovered a little from the transplant, it wasnt too smooth.

is there any real trick to help the plant be female? i heard its a myth.

just wanted to update you guys and ask a few more questions.

thanks

gonna go medicate again  :potleaf:

Offlinesveumy
seeker of enlightenment
Male User Gallery

Loc: its cold
    #518889 - 01/25/11 04:33 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

From what i have read there is no "real trick" to producing females.  There are alot of opinions out there that will take you in a lot of different dirrections.  What I have found as a general concensus, if there is truely one that most people will agree on, is that the less stress they have the better.  Other then that and buying feminized seeds I don't think there is one. 
One of the other more experienced cultivators may prove me wrong though.

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: very new [Re: sveumy]
    #518906 - 01/25/11 04:57 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

eh, look up the banana religion.  People believe exposing your plants to ethylene gases help increase the number of females produced from seed.

It's not proven, but I always got a chuckle out of reading peoples grow logs that had their plants surrounded by banana's at the base of the stem.

--------------------

Offlineoh_you_know
Stranger

Re: very new [Re: coda]
    #518965 - 01/25/11 07:04 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

yeah thats about all ive read. i got a good laugh but i didnt think it worked all too well.

Offlineoh_you_know
Stranger

#518983 - 01/25/11 07:58 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

i got a quick question so ill ask on here and hopefully someone will check it out, im just using bagseed and hopefully they should show presex signs around 8 weeks in veg right? but i dont need to wait 8 weeks right, i could start them on 12/12 if i wanted too.. thats what kinda seems to be whats going on with plants. i was hoping i could have them in veg for 4 to 6 weeks. then start to flower them which should only take like 6-8 weeks depending on strain of course.

right? wrong? close?

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #519035 - 01/25/11 08:56 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

yes you can flower them before they're sexually mature. 4-6 weeks veg  is perfectly fine to flower a plant when you finish it.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck