Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
Cannabis Potency over the years...
    #506247 - 12/17/10 06:36 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Is it a myth that the potency of cannabis has dramatically increased over the last 40 years?  I'm wondering what you, the average growerite, thinks about this.  Don't google it before you answer. 
Is it?
You may choose only one

Votes accepted from (12/17/10 06:36 PM) to (No end specified)
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSteve Buscemi

Re: Cannabis Potency over the years... [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #506251 - 12/17/10 06:42 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

All I know is OG Kush is insanely strong compared to almost all other weed I've smoked in the last 12 years.

OfflineSmOakland
Now with Grow!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oaktown to NOLA
Re: Cannabis Potency over the years... [Re: Steve Buscemi]
    #506258 - 12/17/10 06:57 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

There is no way that some shit tied to a stick and imported from Thailand is anything close to the dank I get.  I've seen old High Times issues.  They were smoking bammer.  No seeds in my sacks.

OfflineSteve Buscemi

Re: Cannabis Potency over the years... [Re: SmOakland]
    #506273 - 12/17/10 07:20 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I think the potency of marijuana today comes from fertilizers tailor made for marijuana growing, HID lights and 40 years of selective breeding. I was eating a macintosh apple today and realized how much red delicious apples suck in comparison........... It's all just farming man.
:awehigh:
I lost my train of thought.

Edited by Steve Buscemi (12/17/10 08:32 PM)

OfflineChillWillis
old school fool

#506285 - 12/17/10 07:32 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

yes we've definitely finely dialed into the precise requirements for cannabis' needs. now any guy with the internet can learn how to grow incredibly dank nuggets, far superior to the shit they imported from mexico in the 60s

nobody in the 60s grew indoors, and even they did they definitely didn't have foliar feeding, 16,0000 lumen 150w HID lighting, hydroponics, or Hydrofarm / Advanced Nutrients to go to for instant perfect feeding regimen

--------------------

It's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom.

Invisiblepsyberpunk
Lunatic

Loc: Behind a Pipe
    #506302 - 12/17/10 08:55 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I voted "I Don't Know" because I'm not 60 years old. But I heard the answer is No, it is not stronger now than it was then. There was some kick ass shit back then too.

OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

Re: Cannabis Potency over the years... [Re: psyberpunk] * 2
    #506307 - 12/17/10 09:12 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Well what can be certain is the supply of higher quality of cannabis has gone up.  So if you're merely crunching number the average thc potency has gone up, that's not to say there wasn't good bud going around the 60's and 70's.  It was just more common to find lower quality weed. 

We certainly have learned a few things since then, and have dialed in all the variables.

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:
you know what i did in english class? I came to class stoned out of my mind every day, i chugged vodka in the back of class, i put dead fish in the ceiling tiles. i put a gallon of old milk and orange juice in the file cabinet before winter vacation. i brought snakes in a tied up sweater and let them loose during class. i didnt go to school to learn, i went because i had to. i didnt care, and i didn't fucking listen to that stupid bitch. and i still don't fucking care. i tore the pages out of her books and burned them, and threw away all the books in the class, two books per day.  :twobooks:

InvisibleiStoner
Astral Beast
Male

Re: Cannabis Potency over the years... [Re: THEBats]
    #506311 - 12/17/10 09:21 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

i think over he years, people have been trying to perfect marijuana growing, which has caused higher potency recently.

--------------------

InvisibleShr0000ooooms
Cannabis Sampler

Loc: Hindu Kush Mountains
Re: Cannabis Potency over the years... [Re: iStoner]
    #506313 - 12/17/10 09:26 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Nah, it hasn't.

--------------------
If I'm posting I'm high.

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Re: Cannabis Potency over the years... [Re: Shr0000ooooms] * 1
    #506338 - 12/18/10 12:14 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

The biggest change to marijuana since the 60's has been the introduction of the indica plant. Everything was sativas at the time. Once the hash making strains were introduced to lower flowering times and increase yields and add those crystals that everybody loves the whole grow scene changed. :potleaf:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

Loc: PNW
Re: Cannabis Potency over the years... [Re: Magash] * 1
    #506357 - 12/18/10 07:06 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

^word

Hybridization created a gene pool we could select the dankest of qualities from, from then on selective breeding took over.

Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger
    #512018 - 01/08/11 05:43 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I think this myth is because in the 60s and 70s there was quite a bit of very low thc brick weed coming from wherever. The authorities claim that the average % of street weed back then was like 1-2% or something and today the average is around 14%.

Note that this is averages, you could still have your near 20% thc exotic Columbian, Thai, etc. I actually got a good chuckle from someone commenting on Thai sticks since those are amongst the best weed you could get back then and IMO now. Today we've got hybrids that boast 25% THC and this is quite possibly only possible through extreme breeding schemes/hybridization. We have not come leaps and bounds like some are lead to believe in terms of our BEST weed. The average quality of weed has certainly gone up in the last several decades.

OfflineShaggy420
Male

Re: Cannabis Potency over the years... [Re: maryanne3087]
    #512035 - 01/08/11 06:12 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

maybe we've just gotten better at growing it:shrug: dosnt mean its getting more potent.

i dont really know tbh.

--------------------

:Awemush::happyweed::fasted::happyweed::Awemush:

http://www.clear-uk.org/

OfflineSmOakland
Now with Grow!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oaktown to NOLA
Re: Cannabis Potency over the years... [Re: Shaggy420]
    #512550 - 01/10/11 12:27 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Any pure sativas that were imported from other countries would be old enough by the time they were smoked that a significant amount of the THC would have turned into other cannabinoids anyway.  If there were such thing as weed that is better than what we grew here now then why would we not do that?

Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger
    #512580 - 01/10/11 03:19 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

We're not growing Thai and Colombian weed because of the long flower time and the height of flowering plants. Only a small fraction of the smoking community would enjoy pure sativa plants also.

OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

#512601 - 01/10/11 04:06 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Haze plants are extremely popular, and they're mostly sativa...

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:
you know what i did in english class? I came to class stoned out of my mind every day, i chugged vodka in the back of class, i put dead fish in the ceiling tiles. i put a gallon of old milk and orange juice in the file cabinet before winter vacation. i brought snakes in a tied up sweater and let them loose during class. i didnt go to school to learn, i went because i had to. i didnt care, and i didn't fucking listen to that stupid bitch. and i still don't fucking care. i tore the pages out of her books and burned them, and threw away all the books in the class, two books per day.  :twobooks:

Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger
    #512606 - 01/10/11 04:13 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Haze is pure sativa mostly of Thai origins. Some say Thai and Columbian, some say there's Indian, Mexican and Jamaican genetics in there also.

OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

#512609 - 01/10/11 04:18 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Yes but you said we're not growing it, which is far from true.  Perhaps not in their country of origin. And certainly a bunch of smokers I know prefer sativas.

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:

Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger
    #512612 - 01/10/11 04:21 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Thai genetics would certainly be grown in their country of origin, they're not grown very much in the indoor scene because of their long flower times and high flowering height.

OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

#512613 - 01/10/11 04:22 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

You know you can grow weed outside in the US too.

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals