Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleShr0000ooooms
Cannabis Sampler

Loc: Hindu Kush Mountains
Cannabis To Treat Alcoholism
    #510649 - 01/02/11 08:16 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

My dad and my brother are both Alcoholics (although my brother can't get access to it anymore) so I'm showing my mom this to try and help our family.

While I know it may not work for sure, but hey it's better than nothing.

So I'm gonna pick up a gram tomorrow and if they're both openminded about it and interested then im gonna some weed to my dad and see how it goes.

Keep in mind my mom has never tried any drugs (besides caffeine and all that shit) and my Dad has only smoked twice but didn't like it.

Worth a try, eh?
Edit: Woops, forgot the article

http://www.ccrmg.org/journal/03sum/substitutealcohol.html

--------------------
If I'm posting I'm high.

Edited by Shr0000ooooms (01/02/11 08:21 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleT-Rex
Herbsman
Male User Gallery

Loc: Devils Marbles Flag
Re: Cannabis To Treat Alcoholism [Re: Shr0000ooooms]
    #510650 - 01/02/11 09:01 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Definitely worth a try, better they get so stoned they fall asleep than so drunk they blackout and hurt themselves/somebody else

Let us know how it goes man, hoping for the best :bongload:

--------------------

InvisibleShr0000ooooms
Cannabis Sampler

Re: Cannabis To Treat Alcoholism [Re: T-Rex]
    #510651 - 01/02/11 09:13 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks man, I'm just hoping that he's willing to try it because otherwise it'll never work.

I hate when people rule out shit before ever expierencing it.(or for that matter even correctly researching it and this goes for anything, not just drugs)

--------------------
If I'm posting I'm high.

OfflineFRACTALife
Rust Fuckin' Cohle
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Carcosa Flag
    #510655 - 01/02/11 09:20 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I can see how cannabis would be good to treat alcoholics.
But why not see if they are open to psychedelics?
In the 60's and 70's a bunch of studies where done showing that LSD can "cure" alcoholism.

--------------------

InvisibleShr0000ooooms
Cannabis Sampler

Re: Cannabis To Treat Alcoholism [Re: FRACTALife]
    #510657 - 01/02/11 09:28 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

They would NEVER do psychadelics.

It'd be kinda weird if my Dad tripped, too, but damn I wish that was a viable option.

Anyways my shroom guy is in the military now :sad: and acid here is inconsistent.

--------------------
If I'm posting I'm high.

Invisiblestill beLIEve
State Property..Again
Male

Loc: a world thats not my own
    #510660 - 01/02/11 09:39 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

it sounds good in theory i guess, if your a stoner. but an alcoholic is an addict, whos drug of choice happens to be alcohol. switching their drug of choice in the long run wont do anything, as far as addiction is concerned. although i suppose it is much better to just smoke weed then it is drinking alcohol. i hope they find what they are looking for.

--------------------
niteowl said:
See, that term pedo gets thrown around a lot.
Is a 16 year old guy having sex w/a 16 year old girl a pedophile?
If not, then how is a 30 year old considered a pedophile for doing the same thing?
I think y'all need to look up the definition for pedophile.

Offlineauronlives69
Stranger
 User Gallery

#510700 - 01/03/11 04:20 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Shr0000ooooms said:
my shroom guy is in the military now :sad:

ever hear of the shroomery  :awesomenod:
there easier to grow than mj imho

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

Loc: High Flag
    #510711 - 01/03/11 09:09 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Shr0000ooooms said:
My dad and my brother are both Alcoholics (although my brother can't get access to it anymore) so I'm showing my mom this to try and help our family.

While I know it may not work for sure, but hey it's better than nothing.

So I'm gonna pick up a gram tomorrow and if they're both openminded about it and interested then im gonna some weed to my dad and see how it goes.

Keep in mind my mom has never tried any drugs (besides caffeine and all that shit) and my Dad has only smoked twice but didn't like it.

Worth a try, eh?
Edit: Woops, forgot the article

http://www.ccrmg.org/journal/03sum/substitutealcohol.html

I've thought about this a good bit coming from a background of nothing but drunks.

Why do people drink? Most have some sort of emotional distress they are trying to cover up.

So for them to put down the substance(alcohol) that they are using and to feel those emotions/feelings that they have been bottling up for so long is very hard for them to do and very hard for most people to understand; because when the alcoholic started drinking they also quit growing emotionally...Alcohol does it like no other drug. Alcohol completely destroys any pleasure center that you may have had prior to drinking.

Point is, is that an alcoholic in my opinion cannot stop alone...You must lock them in a treatment center and have them show them the 'way'(most people don't buy the bullshit they feed at those places, b/c its just that, bullshit) or show them another way, a better way, of living.

The treatment center gives them a safe place for them to go through their emotional problems without having alcohol around for them to go drown themselves in rather than feeling those emotion in hopes that when they get out they won't go grab a bottle but odds are they will eventually.

NOW here comes the weed: since your parents aren't going to rehab they need a safety net or an airbag(a cushion from their reality) to deal with some of those emotions that are going to come up at some point, probably will show itself in the form of anger a good bit. When they feel like drinking take a toke and remove yourself from that situation by being high but also when high you aren't completely oblivious to what is going on around you and still are able to process the situations you just do so in a more relaxed state.

BUT that puts the person back on the same pattern..Feeling upset and using a drug to cover it up. Its true but at the same time its one of those things, which is the lesser of the two evils?

Weed is very easy to stop smoking and put down, unlike alcohol. So getting hooked on weed in my opinion is really negligible if getting someone off of alcohol or another drug.

I don't know, clearly.

--------------------
Suck my balls America

Offlineninja cat 09
Made you look
Male

Loc: Mexico Flag
Re: Cannabis To Treat Alcoholism [Re: mhbound]
    #510713 - 01/03/11 09:21 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

--------------------

OfflineBig_tiggy
Male

Loc: Neither here nor there
Re: Cannabis To Treat Alcoholism [Re: ninja cat 09]
    #510722 - 01/03/11 11:47 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

actually that last part on the opiate receptors has everything to do with alcohol, opiates and alcohol when broken down, have a compound that acts on the same receptors, which is why its so hard to quit drinking...

When quitting drinking, depending on how much they were drinking, you may have to ween them off first. Alcohol is physically dependent, meaning your body will crave it and you can possibly die from the withdrawals... weed actually helps, yes, but really a small dose of benzo's several times a day will actually get them through the physical withdrawal, afterwords is the hard part.

The psychological dependence can last for months to years to the rest of their life, counseling (not drug and alcohol but regular therepy), changing people places and things, and even finding a religion will help with the emotional shit. Substituting another drug is just delaying the inevitable, which is they will go back to the bottle.

Edited by Big_tiggy (01/03/11 11:52 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds