Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisible13eetleJuice
The ghost with the most
Male

Loc: 6' under fertalizing bud
yellowing leaves, purple stems, drooping/wilting
    #507225 - 12/20/10 08:31 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I've got sick mommies.

After taking clones this last time, my mothers began showing what looked like nitrogen deficiency to me. Yellowing fan leaves, beginning with the older growth first. So I stepped up the amount of Alaska 5-1-1 that I normally give them and waited a few days.

After seeing the symptoms only getting worse I gave them light dose of Schultz b/c it has micro nutrients, thinking that maybe it's a Sulfur deficiency. It's been three or four days and now even the new growth is yellowing. Should I try more Schultz?

Soil Growers:
1. Are you growing from seed or clones?
- Clones

2. How old are your plants?
- 5 months

3. How tall are your plants?
- 8 to 12 inches

4. What size containers are they planted in?
- 16 oz. cups

5. What is your soil mix?
- Low grade potting soil / perlite mix

6. How often do you water and what type of water do you use?
- pH'd tap water when cups are light approximately every 36 hours

7. What is the pH of your water?
- 6.5-ish

8. What kind of fertilizer do you use and what is its NPK ratio?
- Alaska Fish Emulsion 5-1-1
- Schultz 10-15-10
- Miracle-Gro Tomato Plant Food 18-18-21

9. Do you foliar feed or spray your plants with anything?
- No

10. What kind of lights do you use and how many watts combined? (HPS, MH, fluorescent, halogen, incandescent "plant lights")
- 150 watts CFL

11. How close are your lights to the plants?
- 1 to 3 inches

12. What size is your grow space in square feet?
-

13. What is the temperature and humidity in your grow space?
- 75 to 85 degrees Fahrenheit

14. What is the pH of the soil?

15. Have you noticed any insect activity in your grow space?
- No

16. How much experience do you have growing?
- Only two harvests (under CFL lighting)

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCrayolaHalls
Dreams of Oceans
Male

Re: yellowing leaves, purple stems, drooping/wilting [Re: 13eetleJuice]
    #507358 - 12/20/10 10:12 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I agree that your containers are way too small.  Personally, I wouldn't keep a mother in anything smaller than a 3 gallon pot (per plant).  For the size in your pictures, I would suggest at least 1 gallon each.

Did you notice your top leaves and branches barely extend beyond the diameter of the cup?  That is most likely the result of a small root zone.  A lot of plants, cannabis included, tend not to grow limbs past the root zone.

The combination of the tight top canopy that you have and tight plant spacing is basically creating a dark zone where you will be hard pressed to get any photosynthesis on lower leaves.  I would not have those so close together if you want lower leaves to survive.

My comment about light penetration also extends to your CFL lighting.  Fluorescent lighting is not great for depth penetration.  If you are going to pack your plants tight like that you may want to consider some side lighting to keep your lower leaves from dying off.  I would suggest switching to HID, but your grow space doesn't look like it would allow it.

--------------------
I am not a cannabis grower.  I find the cannabis growers to be the most open to experimenting and sharing out of all of the different botany groups I enjoy.  I frequently use the suggestions that I find to apply to own organic gardening and food production.

Invisible13eetleJuice
The ghost with the most
Male

Loc: 6' under fertalizing bud
Re: yellowing leaves, purple stems, drooping/wilting [Re: CrayolaHalls]
    #507568 - 12/21/10 09:56 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

You guys aren't familiar with the OG "bonsai mums" thread by Oldtimer1 I take it? Link

I didn't intend to keep all 8 mothers. This was my first go at bonsai mothers and I wanted to make sure I didn't lose the genetics if a few of the plants started going south. It's seems like they're all starting to die off now though.

Anyways, I've re-potted 4 out of the 8 plants by removing some of the old root ball and replacing the old dirt with some rich new soil as recommended in the Bonsai Mums thread referenced earlier. I was careful not to remove too much of the root system. I was also careful to leave all main arteries intact.

When re-potting, I noticed a sandy-salty substance in the bottom of the cups. I've heard of salt buildup but is it typically a salt that you can actually see? Perhaps that's part of the problem as well. Hopefully the re-potting will take care of this.

I gave both the re-potted plants and the control group a good feeding with Schultz 10-15-10. I'll wait a few days and then report on the results.

The clones that I took recently have rooted and I'll be using a couple of those to replace my mothers but, I'd like to see how long I can keep these alive in 16oz. cups. Eventually, I'd like to keep about a dozen mothers, each of different strains in tiny pots such as these. The small sized containers suit me just fine. I don't grow for anyone but myself and don't need access to many clones. Each month I throw away way more cuttings than I actually use.

--------------------

Invisiblewishcouldeletethis
Female User Gallery

Re: yellowing leaves, purple stems, drooping/wilting *DELETED* [Re: 13eetleJuice]
    #507596 - 12/21/10 01:00 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Post deleted by lampshadehelmet

Reason for deletion: d

Invisiblec99hunter
 User Gallery
Re: yellowing leaves, purple stems, drooping/wilting [Re: wishcouldeletethis]
    #507638 - 12/21/10 03:06 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Flush them, change out as much soil as possible,trim the roots,and lower your dose of nutes. If you can get some GH nutes I would if I were you. Salt buildup is more common with shultz and MG in my opinion I would not use them. But if thats all you can get then keep using it but flush,trim roots, and change that soil asap and they should start doing better.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies