Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Loc: Southwestern US Flag
Question about what kind of genetics i should be looking for
    #504374 - 12/09/10 10:34 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

So, I am planning a 5 plant outdoor grow in the southeastern united states...latitude = approximately 35oN...in a short forest that consists mainly of 30-50 foot tall yellow poplars and a few young oaks. The trees are very closely spaced with small meadows and clearings randomly spaced over the property. The underbrush is very dense but I am worried about my spots being spotted by aerial surveillance. I am planting each plant in seperate clearings...all on the northern end of the clearing to maximize sun exposure. I would love to grow a sativa dominant strain if not pure sativa but I am not sure if it will be too obvious from the air, since sativas typically grow very tall. I was hoping to grow some super lemon haze but again I'm very very open to suggestions.

What would you guys recommend? I am prepping at least one of the sites by digging a 4x4x3 foot hole and filling it in with some type of soil mix within the next 2 weeks...then covering that with leaves and letting it settle and sit over the winter...the other plant sites will probably just be treated with a slow-release fertilizer mix and some dolomite lime to balance the pH, and maybe hitting the seed-planting point with a post-hole shovel and filling that small hole with some potting soil before planting. I want to have at least one really nice plant at the site with the large hole, and will probably be germinating that plant indoors about 2 or 3 weeks before transplanting it to the outdoor site in early spring. Another good question for anyone in this general region is about what time in spring can I safely transplant without killing the plant via cold shock or frost? I will also not be able to visit regularly, so all of the starter holes will be very deep to hopefully hold a small reservoir of water that the plants can reach if they are in a pinch for water.

Thanks in advance for reading and potentially answering my questions :awecid:

peace and love,
agmotes165:cool::thumbup:

--------------------
“The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you” -NDT

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Re: Question about what kind of genetics i should be looking for [Re: Data]
    #504387 - 12/09/10 11:42 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

hate to double post but i just did the math and priced some potting soil and it looks like its gonna cost me 250 dollars to fill in that 4x4 hole i dug...i will still buy a couple of bags of black kow or something of that nature to help with the fertility of the soil and to help break up the clay...maybe some moisture crystals and a little verm and perlite to help with that as well...but the bulk of the soil will just be topsoil from around the site...and i will probably end up raking the leaves off of the area where i will be getting topsoil from...and after i scrape off enough topsoil i will just rake the leaves back over the area such that in spring the area will not look disturbed.

peace and love,
agmotes :cool::thumbup:

--------------------

Invisibledrawde
    #505209 - 12/13/10 09:54 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Maybe you could get soil delivered in bulk to you if you have some way of getting it to the site after, like a yard or two? Hopefully someone knowledgeable will chime in about your questions, this area does not seem to get much traffic.

Good luck! :thumbup:

--------------------
King Koopa said:
The amount of pot that Gask smokes is equivalent to a guy shooting heroin on weekends

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Re: Question about what kind of genetics i should be looking for [Re: drawde]
    #505253 - 12/13/10 12:04 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

yea there are areas where its pretty much just briers and these trees called devil's walking stick...they are pretty wicked...like briers but tree sized and proportional spines :shocked:

as for trucking in yards of soil...probly not gonna happen the nearest road is at least half a mile away through winding game trails and ducking underneath low-lying tree branches and brier patches and the like haha i might have selected a spot that is a little too remote :grin:

agmotes165 :cool::thumbup:

--------------------

Invisibledrawde
    #505924 - 12/16/10 07:54 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I meant this sub-forum does not get a lot of traffic, but its good your grow spot does not either!

As for the trucking dirt in, that was more of a suggestion to save you money not for convenience. You would still have to do a lot of work getting the soil there either way.

--------------------
King Koopa said:
The amount of pot that Gask smokes is equivalent to a guy shooting heroin on weekends

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Re: Question about what kind of genetics i should be looking for [Re: drawde]
    #505926 - 12/16/10 07:59 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

haha gotcha :cool:

thanks man,
agmotes165

--------------------

OfflineChillWillis
old school fool

#507033 - 12/20/10 03:03 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

well man I'm sure you've thought of this but I'll say it anyway - the more you clear out your spots the more likely you are to get them spotted

if I attempted this I would do it in one of two ways

1) as minimal work as possible, plant a shit load of seeds and then come back at the end of the season and take whatever's there.

2) exactly what you're planning. lots of prep work and minimal maintenance.

the best person I can think of to ask about this project is Inverted or Lucid. last season they did a fantastic grow log of some fucking trees they grew indoors all winter long then transplanted to outdoors at the beginning of the season

as far as saving money on your soil I'd look up some good mixtures to add to the existing soil out there. bat guano, worm casings etc. would be a lot cheaper than buying yards of exotic soils, plus no lugging yards of soil, just churn up the soil out there to kill competing roots and then chuck in your fertilizers

--------------------

It's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom.

Offlinedmtcorey
~The time police~
 User Gallery

Re: Question about what kind of genetics i should be looking for [Re: ChillWillis]
    #507059 - 12/20/10 03:38 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

ill tell ya right now if you expect toplant lots of seeds and come back at the end of the season your wasting your time !it sounds like a good location but you got to be deadicated and willing to work ,what you put in is what you get out of it.and the summers are hot your plants are going to need water every couple of days if your using natural top soil,i live in canada and my plants that were in soil needed water every day at the peak of summer,some days the plants were even starting to wilt! it comes down to how bad you want a harvest !

--------------------
:whereismiddleman:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies