Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleHendershot
Shapeshifter
Male User Gallery

Lack of humidity?
    #504940 - 12/12/10 09:08 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Okay, my noobness is showing..
Soil Growers:
1. Are you growing from seed or clones? seed
2. How old are your plants? 10 days
3. How tall are your plants? 1 inch
4. What size containers are they planted in? 1/2 gal
5. What is your soil mix? gardener's gold ph adjusted
6. How often do you water and what type of water do you use? every day sometimes twice, just misting mostly. tap water left open for 24 hrs
7. What is the pH of your water? dunno
8. What kind of fertilizer do you use and what is its NPK ratio? none atm
9. Do you foliar feed or spray your plants with anything? no
10. What kind of lights do you use and how many watts combined? (HPS, MH, fluorescent, halogen, incandescent "plant lights") 6 cfls, 100w ea, 1750 lum ea
11. How close are your lights to the plants? 2-3 inches
12. What size is your grow space in square feet? 4 sq ft
13. What is the temperature and humidity in your grow space? temp stays at 65-77 humidity is at 20%
14. What is the pH of the soil? It's ph adjusted, so I'm gussing btwn 6-7
15. Have you noticed any insect activity in your grow space? no
16. How much experience do you have growing? my second attempt at indoor grow, one successful outdoor grow

I am growing autos, himalayan blue diesel and russian rocket fuel.
About a month ago I started two of each. I couldn't make it to the farm store, so I recycled soil from my outdoor grow (the plant was only in the soil for about a month). They did great, excepting the fact that they all turned out males. The rocket fuels showed sex in like 15 days, while the blue diesel took about 10 days longer.
So I germed 4 of each. They all popped within 36 hrs, and went into jiffy pots. I was checking them and watering them at the same time every day. On the 3rd day I saw the soil was bone dry. I watered, then started checking every 12 hrs. I still lost four, two are doing ok, and two are barely showing any new growth. I repotted them in brand new soil, and gave them a feeding at 1/4 strength of a 4-12-4 nute. They are looking better, but my question I guess is this: should I be starting seedlings under a humidity dome seeing as my humidity is only 20%? and if so, will the cfls lose effectiveness thru a dome?

--------------------

"You're cool, you're cool, fuck you, I'm out.."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHendershot
Shapeshifter
Male User Gallery

Re: Lack of humidity? [Re: Hendershot]
    #504948 - 12/12/10 09:26 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

--------------------

Offlinemuse42
Zomberrific

Loc: West Coast
    #505077 - 12/12/10 07:59 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Watering every day is too much.  That will make your plants grow slow.  You also need to know the pH of the water you are using.

InvisibleHendershot
Shapeshifter
Male User Gallery

Re: Lack of humidity? [Re: muse42]
    #505083 - 12/12/10 08:13 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I'm only watering cuz the soil is bone dry. That's why I'm wondering if the super low humidity is causing the water to evaporate faster. the humidity is only at 15-20%..

--------------------

Offlinemuse42
Zomberrific

#505088 - 12/12/10 08:40 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I cant imagine how the soil is getting bone dry every day.  The temps are not too high and the plants are not sucking up that much water at that size.  It can't be bone dry.  At 10 days those guys Should be on there 2nd or 3rd set of leaves.

--------------------
It looks like it's going to be another Gravity Bong type day...

InvisibleHendershot
Shapeshifter
Male User Gallery

#505141 - 12/13/10 12:42 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I know, right? But nonetheless they were bone dry. That's how I lost 4 seedlings. Sooo, how bout the humidity theory. That's kinda all that's left.. and how do I fix it? I can't fit a humidifier in there..:shrug:

--------------------

Offlinemuse42
Zomberrific

#505142 - 12/13/10 12:59 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

my humidity is that low and my temps run a bit higher.  I don't think it is humidity. 

Quote:

6. How often do you water and what type of water do you use? every day sometimes twice, just misting mostly. tap water left open for 24 hrs

What does just misting mostly mean?  Does that mean you are misting the top soil as it gets dry?

Quote:

7. What is the pH of your water? dunno

This you need to know, especially if you are using tap water.  For example my taps pH is 8.5+, which is to high.

Offlinejkell
Midnight toker

Loc: Don' worry bout it
    #505144 - 12/13/10 01:05 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

muse42 said:
my humidity is that low and my temps run a bit higher.  I don't think it is humidity. 

Quote:

What does just misting mostly mean?  Does that mean you are misting the top soil as it gets dry?

I'm guessing he means misting inside the humidity dome?

Offlinemuse42
Zomberrific

Re: Lack of humidity? [Re: jkell]
    #505145 - 12/13/10 01:09 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Maybe so but I thought the humidity dome was the solution in question...

Side question.  Is misting your plants with only water considered foliar feeding?

InvisibleCrayolaHalls
Dreams of Oceans
Male

#505146 - 12/13/10 01:15 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Hendershot said:
I'm only watering cuz the soil is bone dry. That's why I'm wondering if the super low humidity is causing the water to evaporate faster. the humidity is only at 15-20%..

How deep are you checking?  It should dry out to at least 3/4" to 1" deep before watering again.  15-20% humidity and normal temps will not dry out those containers in one day.

--------------------
I am not a cannabis grower.  I find the cannabis growers to be the most open to experimenting and sharing out of all of the different botany groups I enjoy.  I frequently use the suggestions that I find to apply to own organic gardening and food production.

InvisibleCrayolaHalls
Dreams of Oceans
Male

#505147 - 12/13/10 01:17 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

muse42 said:
Is misting your plants with only water considered foliar feeding?

No.  Rain would not be considered foliar feeding either.

--------------------
I am not a cannabis grower.  I find the cannabis growers to be the most open to experimenting and sharing out of all of the different botany groups I enjoy.  I frequently use the suggestions that I find to apply to own organic gardening and food production.

InvisibleHendershot
Shapeshifter
Male User Gallery

Re: Lack of humidity? [Re: CrayolaHalls]
    #505161 - 12/13/10 06:12 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

lol Okay, lemme clarify.. the pic was taken after transplanting in new soil and the containers they are going to stay in.. I was saying that when they were in jiffy pots they were drying out quickly. Basically I'm asking about the dome for future reference..

--------------------

InvisibleCrayolaHalls
Dreams of Oceans
Male

#505188 - 12/13/10 08:52 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I would only use a dome until the seedlings have their first two or three sets of leaves.  15-20% humidity should be fine unless you have sensitive genetics.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates