Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesveumy
seeker of enlightenment
Male User Gallery

Loc: its cold
Is there a way to tell what strain I have
    #502492 - 12/02/10 02:58 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Ok So I am not completely uneducated here.  I realize that some one can't look at a picture and say yeah that plant is NLxhaze.  Or that is 20 percent sativa with 80 percent indica.  hell if there is a person who can tell that.  I will pay them to come hang out with me for a couple months.  I could learn a ton from someone with that kind of knowledge. 
More or less I am asking if you can really tell based off of the natrually different traits of the three sub species.  and then generally speaking to what degree of acuracy do you think one would have?
The reason i ask is..... I have 7 plants and by my calculations, based upon the reading I have done and the pictures I have looked at, I have two that appear to be very indica dom.  the rest seeme to be sativa dom but Non of these  plants look anything alike, other then they are green and healthy(finaly). some have very slender fan blades and some have considerably wider but still what I would consider a sativa based on what I have seen and the broad ass leaves on my (imo) indicas.  I am sure I have hybrids because what is the likeliness of getting a pure strain from bagweed at $80-100 an oz.
I guess I am just looking for a little insight and to see what kind of conversation i can spark based on this with some of the more experienced growers.

(I can post pictures if yall think you could give me some insight as to what I have.)

Thanks guys

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCrayolaHalls
Dreams of Oceans
Male

Re: Is there a way to tell what strain I have [Re: sveumy]
    #502534 - 12/02/10 09:03 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

You can't have a decent conversation about your genetics unless you have some clue.  That is, of course, unless you think that a bunch of guessing and conjecture is a decent conversation.

I think the best you can hope for here is some discussion about the phenotypes that are expressed.  To get people really interested you can start with pictures and detailed descriptions.

--------------------
I am not a cannabis grower.  I find the cannabis growers to be the most open to experimenting and sharing out of all of the different botany groups I enjoy.  I frequently use the suggestions that I find to apply to own organic gardening and food production.

Offlinesveumy
seeker of enlightenment
Male User Gallery

Re: Is there a way to tell what strain I have [Re: CrayolaHalls]
    #502560 - 12/02/10 12:41 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Thank you.  Very valid point i will have pictures and as detailed descriptions as I can get later on this evening.

Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger
Trusted Cultivator
    #502596 - 12/02/10 03:09 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

You won't figure out what strain you have by just growing it.

You can recognize some tastes Haze is fairly unique, Thai is fairly unique or can be.

You can tell if it's a wild sativa type of cannabis when you grow it if it grows very wispy/lanky and is more or less just leaf and stem.

You can sometimes tell if a plant has Afghani or Skunk origins.

You can basically pick out a lot of traits but even if we had a database of strain traits you wouldn't be able to figure out what you had without testing similarities in the genetics through a lab that does such things. Chimera a user on various forums has done this sort of thing to figure out what sort of origins various clone only strains have. He can tell you if a clone is related to Skunk lines, etc. If we had a database of genetic markers we could run genetics against it like we do with humans and finger prints and tell how similar they are.

Pretty fucking heavy shit if you ask me. Genetics are fascinating.

Offlinesveumy
seeker of enlightenment
Male User Gallery

Re: Is there a way to tell what strain I have [Re: maryanne3087]
    #502682 - 12/02/10 07:19 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Thats pretty much exactly what I was trying to say or ask.  I was just unable to articulate it well enough. I guess by having other people discuss and pick apart certain parts of my plants and speak with knowledge about them and the certain traits they have or don't have will help me learn new ways of reading my plants and understanding them on a different level. 
I am not looking to become a canabis geneticist or anything.  I am not smart enough for that.  But the plant and its many different traits do fascinate me.  So I seek knowledge is all.  Photos are comming when they wake up.

Offlinesveumy
seeker of enlightenment
Male User Gallery

#503848 - 12/08/10 03:40 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Ok so it took me a couple days to get back on here.  Had to build up the motivation. So here we go photos.....
I would add discriptions of plants but i really can't give you much more insight then what you can see.  I can and will attempt to answer questions about individual pics or the whole grow. 
I guess I am not expecting to much.  Just your opinions on them.

InvisibleLaysthepipe
Vivi Sex Symbol
 User Gallery

Loc: KOREA
    #503951 - 12/08/10 11:02 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

The plants look healthy to me, I honestly think the best answer strainwise you will get is...

Those are mostly sativa leaning hybrids.

Except one looks more like an indica leaning hybrid.

:shrug:

The only way to really know is to buy your genetics, then you will also know what to expect final product wise also before you start.

It's worth the investment to get what you want.

--------------------
:advisory:

“If you want to find out who your real friends are, sink the ship. The first ones to jump aren’t your friends.” — Marilyn Manson

This isn't the correct place to confront me on anything.

Forum full of dead stars, and a necro I called Coma White

Offlinejkell
Midnight toker

Loc: Don' worry bout it
Re: Is there a way to tell what strain I have [Re: Laysthepipe]
    #503986 - 12/08/10 02:48 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Laysthepipe said:
The plants look healthy to me, I honestly think the best answer strainwise you will get is...

Those are mostly sativa leaning hybrids.

Except one looks more like an indica leaning hybrid.

:shrug:

The only way to really know is to buy your genetics, then you will also know what to expect final product wise also before you start.

It's worth the investment to get what you want.

The only way to know 100% is to buy your genetics,true, but I also feel one can also learn a great deal of genetics by smoking the finished product as well

Edited by jkell (12/08/10 02:49 PM)

Offlinesveumy
seeker of enlightenment
Male User Gallery

Re: Is there a way to tell what strain I have [Re: jkell]
    #504115 - 12/08/10 10:49 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Thats exactly what I was thinking lays.  other then that I am really happy with this as my first grow.  Hopefully in grows to come I will get a chance to actually be selective on what strains I attempt to grow.

InvisibleLaysthepipe
Vivi Sex Symbol
 User Gallery

Loc: KOREA
    #504124 - 12/08/10 11:46 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

From my experience with bag seed a long time ago, the end results can turn out pretty good.

Wayyy better than the bag the seed came from.

--------------------
:advisory:

“If you want to find out who your real friends are, sink the ship. The first ones to jump aren’t your friends.” — Marilyn Manson

This isn't the correct place to confront me on anything.

Forum full of dead stars, and a necro I called Coma White

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck