Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinechowdan
Stranger
 User Gallery

keeping them small
    #503364 - 12/06/10 09:45 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Hey all

So i ahve a very small space to grow in. Its a small 2 drawer dresser cabinet. I was wanting to rig some cfls in it and start plants from seed. I was thinking of doing 12/12 light cycle from the start causing the plant to flower asap. I am not looking for alot of bud or anything, just wanting to grow since im a noob. How tall do you think the plants will get with this cycle and how soon do you think they will flower?

My cab is about 1-2ft tall tops. so the grow will be verrryyy small.

--------------------
I am a legal patient in Washington. Everything i do and say on here is for personal gain.

- We live in a free country as long as you can follow the governments laws...-

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

Loc: High Flag
Re: keeping them small [Re: chowdan]
    #503372 - 12/06/10 10:53 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Keeping it 1-2 feet tall is going to be tough in a sense.

Flowering from seeds should give you plants around the 2 foot mark or a little bit taller possibly...

Honestly I don't think you can make a cabinet 1-2 feet tall work, maybe 2-3 feet but 1-2 is just too small in my opinion--having not grown in a place that small.

Check out some auto-flowering seeds, they only grow to about 18 inches max. Be sure to read about the strains before buying and the vendors, people have been getting bad batches of auto flowering seeds...Well thats what they say but probably didn't know what they were getting in to. Auto flowering plants can be tricky.

--------------------
Suck my balls America

Invisiblebrifunforme
Card Holder. Not really

Re: keeping them small [Re: mhbound]
    #503412 - 12/06/10 02:51 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I grew out widowrella from female seeds 12/12 from seed and only one of them went above a foot tall out of 4. They were never given veg nutes at all, when it was feeding time I gave them flowering nutes. Yielded 10 grams from one 11 from another 13 from another and 15 from another. That was under 200 watts of cfl.

Offlinejkell
Midnight toker

Loc: Don' worry bout it
Re: keeping them small [Re: brifunforme]
    #503415 - 12/06/10 03:01 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

brifunforme said:
I grew out widowrella from female seeds 12/12 from seed and only one of them went above a foot tall out of 4. They were never given veg nutes at all, when it was feeding time I gave them flowering nutes. Yielded 10 grams from one 11 from another 13 from another and 15 from another. That was under 200 watts of cfl.

Wow thats some impressive yields for small plants under CFL. I'd be interested in seeing a pic of your grow space if you got any.

Invisible13eetleJuice
The ghost with the most
Male

Loc: 6' under fertalizing bud
    #503427 - 12/06/10 04:08 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

If you have two feet of space, it may be possible for you to grow in such a small place if you place your CFL's horizontally and make use of a screen. I've had success with this method in the past.

As for how tall the plants will get and how long it will take them to flower, well that largely depends on the strain's own genetics. There are things that you can do to persuade them to stay small. Read up on LST (low stress training) techniques.

--------------------

InvisibleT-Rex
Herbsman
Male User Gallery

Loc: Devils Marbles Flag
Re: keeping them small [Re: 13eetleJuice]
    #503433 - 12/06/10 04:27 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Alternatively you can use the LST technique, this is the first time I've used it and I've been able to keep them under 2ft pretty easily

--------------------

Invisiblebrifunforme
Card Holder. Not really

Re: keeping them small [Re: jkell]
    #503435 - 12/06/10 04:32 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

jkell said:
Quote:

brifunforme said:

Wow thats some impressive yields for small plants under CFL. I'd be interested in seeing a pic of your grow space if you got any.

Different grow space now. And I dont use cfl any more. And that's not really impressive yields and if you go with bigger plants using cfl you wont yield as much per sq ft as if you stay small unless you train the plants which I didnt do.
I kept the lights pretty much right on the plants. I had the cfl free hanging so I could move them around wherever I wanted.
How is 10 to 15 grams for a foot tall plant impressive? I thought it was mediocre at best.

Here's a pic of her at around 5 weeks I believe?

*edit, fixed pic**

Each plant ended up being about the size of a 12oz pop can round. Some were more dense then others. The 15 gram one was obviously the densest but surprisingly wasn't the fattest one.

The one pictured here ended up swelling out passed the leaves and you could only see a few leaves poking out, the smaller ones were completely swallowed by the bud.

Edited by brifunforme (12/07/10 08:20 AM)

Offlinejkell
Midnight toker

Re: keeping them small [Re: brifunforme]
    #503452 - 12/06/10 04:59 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Well yield is really strain dependent, anyways. Almost 2 ounces for a basically two month grow is good in my book especially under CFL.
Dank around here goes for about $350 an ounce. Making ~$600 in 2 months for 4 plants sounds pretty sweet to me. Either way impressive CFL harvest in my book.

P.S. Pic didn't work

InvisibleLaysthepipe
Vivi Sex Symbol
 User Gallery

Loc: KOREA
Re: keeping them small [Re: jkell]
    #503514 - 12/06/10 07:26 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

If you don't want to 12/12 from seed then you can lst, or bonsai.

If you do 12/12 from seed you still might want to lst not sure, or use the screens just incase, you will probably want to one of those for sure if your plant is sativa.

Everything except bonsai was already covered in this thread.

--------------------
:advisory:

“If you want to find out who your real friends are, sink the ship. The first ones to jump aren’t your friends.” — Marilyn Manson

This isn't the correct place to confront me on anything.

Forum full of dead stars, and a necro I called Coma White

InvisibleT-Rex
Herbsman
Male User Gallery

Re: keeping them small [Re: T-Rex]
    #503534 - 12/06/10 08:32 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

T-Rex said:

I think this is pretty Bonsai

--------------------

Offlinemuse42
Zomberrific

Loc: West Coast
Re: keeping them small [Re: Laysthepipe]
    #503537 - 12/06/10 08:39 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I would do what 13eetleJucie did, you can get a nice amount of bud that way.  you might use some florescent tubes instead of cfls, just depends on how long your cab is. If in the US, Home Depot sales t5 strips in 2ft and 3ft sections you could get 2 or 3 double bulb set ups. They would take up the least space. Again, that all depends on the length of your cab.

InvisibleLaysthepipe
Vivi Sex Symbol
 User Gallery

#503545 - 12/06/10 09:08 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

T-Rex said:
Quote:

T-Rex said:

I think this is pretty Bonsai

LST and bonsai are two different things.

http://www.growery.org/2994/Bonsai-Mothers

LST is most likely more ideal for him, this would be nice too though.

Scrog is probably the best option for him if he 12/12 from seed to keep the plant small. I don't see topping or fim being an option.

I've done a few lsts they are ok, I think scrog would be a lot more easier.

--------------------

“If you want to find out who your real friends are, sink the ship. The first ones to jump aren’t your friends.” — Marilyn Manson

Edited by Laysthepipe (12/06/10 09:21 PM)

InvisibleT-Rex
Herbsman
Male User Gallery

#503546 - 12/06/10 09:11 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Wow I stand corrected, I've never read that thread before, thanks for the link :awesomenod:

--------------------

Offlinechowdan
Stranger
 User Gallery

#503602 - 12/07/10 08:10 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Wow thank you for the reply everyone!

I was looking through lst and scrog designs, i'm not sure which one i should do. Can you do both? i wonder what would happen. I  was thiking about floros instead of cfls. That might be the way i will go due to the size of them. I need to double check my cab to make sure they will fit but am pretty sure they will. I my main concern is now heat and smell. I know floros and cfls both dont produce heat but if the plants are small and it is in a small space will a medium size computer fan vent ok? Also for keeping the scent down what do you recomend for that? My girlfriend said she doesn't want my studio to wreak of it cause shes here 90% of the time.

--------------------
I am a legal patient in Washington. Everything i do and say on here is for personal gain.

- We live in a free country as long as you can follow the governments laws...-

Offlinejkell
Midnight toker

#503603 - 12/07/10 08:22 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

both would kinda be ambiguous because they both achieve the same goal just in different ways. as for smell i know hefe had success with a closet air ionizer  and his grow was bigger than yours so that should manage the smell fine.

InvisibleLaysthepipe
Vivi Sex Symbol
 User Gallery

#503607 - 12/07/10 08:30 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

chowdan said:
Wow thank you for the reply everyone!

I was looking through lst and scrog designs, i'm not sure which one i should do. Can you do both? i wonder what would happen. I  was thiking about floros instead of cfls. That might be the way i will go due to the size of them. I need to double check my cab to make sure they will fit but am pretty sure they will. I my main concern is now heat and smell. I know floros and cfls both dont produce heat but if the plants are small and it is in a small space will a medium size computer fan vent ok? Also for keeping the scent down what do you recomend for that? My girlfriend said she doesn't want my studio to wreak of it cause shes here 90% of the time.

IDK about floros man, maybe t5s but still those aren't that great.

These and the 250 watters should give some good yields as far as cfls go, pretty sure I looked up some grows on those not too long ago. You will want the orange colored light for flowering though, I just linked the first one of the brand I found.

http://www.amazon.com/Feliz-Watt-Grow-Light-6500K/dp/B0034QE9ZY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291735826&sr=8-1

--------------------

Invisiblebrifunforme
Card Holder. Not really

#503608 - 12/07/10 08:37 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Here's an odor killing cfl. I have read good reviews from people but never used them myself. It couldn't hurt to have one or two tho.

Just google odor killing cfl. I dont want to get in trouble for posting a source.

Invisible13eetleJuice
The ghost with the most
Male

Loc: 6' under fertalizing bud
    #503610 - 12/07/10 09:01 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I use a holmes air purifier w/ ionizer.

I've created a DIY filter filled with this carbon charcoal from the pet store.

Works great, no smell. No need to route ducting or anything. I just leave it running in the grow space.

--------------------

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: keeping them small [Re: 13eetleJuice]
    #503612 - 12/07/10 09:08 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Anything is possible :potleaf:.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlinekyuzo
Stranger Than Fiction

Re: keeping them small [Re: Magash]
    #503637 - 12/07/10 11:45 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Magash, what size were those when you started flowering?

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom