Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
Re: want to keep moms but are limited to the amount of plants you can keep? [Re: DudeTron]
    #374320 - 02/26/10 07:50 PM (14 years, 23 days ago)

Quote:

DudeTron said:
Don't alot of rooting compounds work by breaking down the outer tissue of the stem?  I would think that would be a bad thing for a tender graft...

I believe most cloning solutions are just artificial hormones that promote new growth. At 3:50 on he talks about applying clonex to seal the wound.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: want to keep moms but are limited to the amount of plants you can keep? [Re: captain.koons]
    #374352 - 02/26/10 08:31 PM (14 years, 23 days ago)

Quote:

captain.koons said:
The dutch are limited to five plants so I guess they veg them a bunch longer which may explain the height of their plants.

The video seemed detailed enough to tackle graphing. You want to make complimentary v cuts having the cutting being taken as the "male end" and the branch the cut is being put onto the "female end" the dude in the video says some rooting hormone will seal the wound quickly but he doesn't bother and he just applies a bandage of some sort.

For clarity the male end will be cut so stem is shaved off leaving a v and the female end will have a v cut out of it.

\

Yeah you're right, I guess it can't be too hard right? and he was saying that he basically used a plastic bag as a humidity dome and airs it out once a day? sounds simple enough.

What was his bandage of choice?

And you don't think a plant that flowers in springtime like lilac would cause any sort of hormonal issues with the cutting right?

--------------------

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
Re: want to keep moms but are limited to the amount of plants you can keep? [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #374362 - 02/26/10 08:42 PM (14 years, 23 days ago)

I'm inexperienced with cannabis grafts so I don't know about grafting to other species.

He recommends a clothes pin but seems to have used a twist tie. You could use anything that applies pressure around the stem though to keep the two plants in contact until the wound heals up.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: want to keep moms but are limited to the amount of plants you can keep? [Re: captain.koons]
    #374387 - 02/26/10 09:30 PM (14 years, 23 days ago)

oh yeah I remember now. I don't have clothes pins but I think the twist tie would be a viable idea. I can't decide if rooting compound is the best option or not.... You're not technically trying to root the cutting, but you do want the vascular tissues to combine so I suppose I can see how that could be useful. an argument could be made that the root system is just an extension of the vascular cambium.

hmmm... This is a good one for my brain-hole

--------------------

OfflineMushrooMan420
Muncher

Loc: CA
Re: want to keep moms but are limited to the amount of plants you can keep? [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #374417 - 02/26/10 10:19 PM (14 years, 23 days ago)

This is an awesome thread
Keeps us posted on your experiment Harry

--------------------
x:tongue:

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: want to keep moms but are limited to the amount of plants you can keep? [Re: MushrooMan420]
    #374421 - 02/26/10 10:28 PM (14 years, 23 days ago)

I certainly will :smile: it'll be awhile though. None of my clones are currently large enough to take cuttings from so it'll be a couple weeks before I attempt this

--------------------

OfflineDephect

Folding@home Statistics
    #374442 - 02/26/10 11:37 PM (14 years, 23 days ago)

I will be trying this too :smile:

InvisibleSnurry
Cunt
Male

Loc: Flag
    #374476 - 02/27/10 03:14 AM (14 years, 23 days ago)

Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said: someone successfully grafted a cannabis branch to a grapevine. :eek:

pics?

--------------------
--->
200/~218 Days
It's all a bunch of fucking bribble!

Invisible13eetleJuice
The ghost with the most
Male

Loc: 6' under fertalizing bud
    #374478 - 02/27/10 04:25 AM (14 years, 23 days ago)

This link has some interesting info including the following:

Quote:

Why Grafting
Dwarfing: To induce dwarfing or cold tolerance or other characteristics to the scion.

Ease of propagation: Because the scion is difficult to propagate vegetatively by other means, such as by cuttings. In this case, cuttings of an easily rooted plant are used to provide a rootstock. In some cases, the scion may be easily propagated, but grafting may still be used because it is commercially the most cost-effective way of raising a particular type of plant.

Hybrid breeding: To speed maturity of hybrids in fruit tree breeding programs. Hybrid seedlings may take ten or more years to flower and fruit on their own roots. Grafting can reduce the time to flowering and shorten the breeding program.

Hardiness: Because the scion has weak roots or the roots of the stock plants have roots tolerant of difficult conditions.

It might be interesting to test the grafting of a cutting onto a host plant which has already been introduced to flowering conditions. :shrug: Not sure if that would have any particular real world application but, I'm really baked and can't tell if it's a good idea or not. I can't seem to hold thoughts in my head long enough right now to remember each facet of the previously mentioned idea in order to scrutinize it for validity...  Whhhhooooooowwweeeeeeeeee!!!
It took me ten minutes to type this sentence. :grin: :vaped:

Actually, you should likely disregard my entire addendum because, frankly, I'm an idiot and if you've read this far you probably are too. There, I said it. I've gone and flamed would be readers; innocent browsers of the net whose only mistake is having stumbled upon the cesspool of run-on sentence upon pointless run-on sentence that is another failed post. :palmface:... :facepalm: :suicide:

:awetrippie:

--------------------

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #374553 - 02/27/10 11:29 AM (14 years, 23 days ago)

Quote:

Snurry said:
Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said: someone successfully grafted a cannabis branch to a grapevine. :eek:

pics?

It's one of those sites where you have to register to view pics so I don't have any, but I can link you to the thread and you can read about it if you'd like.

Also, does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:

And you don't think a plant that flowers in springtime like lilac would cause any sort of hormonal issues with the cutting right?

--------------------

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #374776 - 02/27/10 06:06 PM (14 years, 23 days ago)

maybe you should save the picture and post it here.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #374781 - 02/27/10 06:14 PM (14 years, 23 days ago)

yeah but I don't want to register for that site. I guess it would be worth it since I'm undertaking this project...

I've got a Schefflera plant that's very healthy right now... considering attempting my first cross-species graft with that in the next week or two. Any objections/thoughts as to why that might not be the best idea, or go for it?

--------------------

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

#374787 - 02/27/10 06:34 PM (14 years, 23 days ago)

Go 4 it.

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #374788 - 02/27/10 06:35 PM (14 years, 23 days ago)

Ok just for you C.Koons I made an account :wink:

The pics don't show anything without the bandage still attached but here ya go;

Right after the transplant

A couple weeks later, you can see that the grafting was successful because not only is the cutting still alive, but it's clearly adjusted to the sun and looks to be still alive and well a full 17 days after the grafting.

unfortunately nobody updated the thread after that :shrug:

--------------------

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

#374790 - 02/27/10 06:38 PM (14 years, 23 days ago)

Go for it, you wont know till you try.

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: want to keep moms but are limited to the amount of plants you can keep? [Re: Triptonic]
    #374794 - 02/27/10 06:43 PM (14 years, 23 days ago)

I'm planning on going for it, but I'm also planning on discussing it here to pinpoint the best course of action.

--------------------

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #374795 - 02/27/10 06:43 PM (14 years, 23 days ago)

I'm going to email my old professor about interspecies grafting.

I'll get back to you.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #374796 - 02/27/10 06:44 PM (14 years, 23 days ago)

wonderful, I appreciate it.  Do you have any preliminary thoughts about the compatibility of a schefflera with a cannabis cutting?

--------------------

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #374837 - 02/27/10 07:52 PM (14 years, 22 days ago)

I decided to call him instead.

He told me that out of Genus graftings rarely take from his personal experience. So your Lilac of genus Syringa wouldn't be a good idea for cannabis. There's of course exceptions so it's hard to say without trial and error.

He mentioned he noticed with some grafts he has done that it was a matter of attempting a graft many times and just waiting for it to take which I assume may or may not work in your situation.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
Trusted Cultivator
    #374840 - 02/27/10 07:56 PM (14 years, 22 days ago)

you called your old professor on a saturday night/evening?  You guys must be tight.  That's rad!

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom