Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAce_Nine_Suited
Stranger
Growth Issue : 2nd Time Around..Pics, Details, Input Please! UPDATE***
    #503181 - 12/05/10 09:01 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Ok so I made a post a few months ago about an issue I was having.  I have grown numerous times before in the past with perfect success.  I have moved in the past 2 years and decided to spark up a grow again.  I tried and ran into the following problems...

The plants start out fine, but within 3-4 weeks it is clear problems are there.  First, the height never develops, the plants stay relatively short.  3-4 weeks in right now, and only about 8-10 inches.  Aside from that, every time a new set of leaves comes in, a previous set dies off.

The conditions are as follows.  I am using femenized seeds.  I sprouted in wet napkin/ziplock bag.  Planted in jiffy pop, after 2 weeks transplanted into organic miracle grow in bigger plants to be used for the duration of the grow.  Water being used is store bought, purified only.  Lights, right now I have a 100 watt CFL over each of the 3 plants I have going.  Far enough that the heat (the little that is emitted) can not be felt on the leaves.  I have a fan going in the room 24-7.  The room I am growing in is a bathroom.  Shower converted into a little grow area.  I leave the bathroom door open since it is in a master bedroom only I have access to.  So those are the conditions.

Here are some pics. 

My 1 friend that also grows and I have boggled our minds trying to figure out what could be the problem.  He has used a seed from the same batch, and grown successfully with no similar problems I an encountering.

Our only 2 theories are as follows.  1. The room somehow is to blame, we have no clue how, or why, but the room is one of the few variables that is new to my recent grows.  2.  Co2 - This one we would love some input on.  The bathroom/growroom is on the 3rd floor of my house.  I dont sleep in the bedroom the bathroom is inside of.  I do keep the door open, the bathroom fan on, but is it possible there is like, a total depletion/lack of Co2 in the room?  My friend thinks this is the case, but I am skeptical.  Isn't there enough Co2 in the air as it is, to at least foster a successful grow??? I know adding Co2 helps growth, but just normal air conditions in a house, regardless of a person living in the vacinity of the grow room, should have enough Co2 right???

I know that was a lot to read, but any help would be hugely appreciated.  Again pics below to show what I am dealing with.  Small height growth, and dieing off of leaves for no clear reason the second new sets grow.

PLS HELP!!!

Edited by Ace_Nine_Suited (12/14/10 05:42 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Growth Issue : 2nd Time Around..Pics, Details, Input Please! [Re: Ace_Nine_Suited]
    #503188 - 12/05/10 10:24 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I'd say your problem is two fold (and CO2 has nothing do with it btw). 

1.) Miracle gro is a poor choice for potting soil, organic or not you need to be careful using miracle gro because it has nasty hot spots in the soil and can burn the shit out of your plants quite easily

2.) Purified (distilled?) water is probably too alkaline for your soil.  You're probably feeding at a pH close to 8 and you need to bring it down to at least 6.8 if not a little lower.  By making your soil too alkaline you will lock out your nutrient supply and your plant will literally starve to death.

EDIT: If that water is "purified" using a water softening process you may also be dealing with an excess Na buildup.  Just what exactly do you mean by purified? 

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

OfflineAce_Nine_Suited
Stranger
Re: Growth Issue : 2nd Time Around..Pics, Details, Input Please! [Re: coda]
    #503190 - 12/05/10 10:31 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

The water I am using at the moment is "distilled".  It is just Target brand 1 gallon water.  There are two different kinds they sell "purified" and "distilled".  I remember the day I went to get some water all they had was the "distilled" so I went with it.  Assuming either one of the two options would not be as bad as using standard tap.

It's just extremely odd.  I have done grows before under virtually the same exact circumstances.  I know ideally early on, you should use a soil with no nutes in it whatsoever.  But I've done grows with MG before, as well as read thousands of other posts using the same substrate from seedlings.  Not ideal, but for 2 grows in a row now to stink out like this.  It is just weird and peculiar.

Also why would the plant continue to grow, but just have older leaves die off.  As you can see from the pic, the top most portion of each plant appears perfectly fine.  It is just as soon as new sets of leaves grow, the tips of old sets start to die and eventually the entire set of older leaves does.

Edited by Ace_Nine_Suited (12/05/10 10:34 AM)

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Growth Issue : 2nd Time Around..Pics, Details, Input Please! [Re: Ace_Nine_Suited]
    #503193 - 12/05/10 10:37 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

When you have a mobile nutrient deficiency the newer growth of your plant will draw it's nutrient source from the older leaves of the plant.  This is why an N problem will start from the lower to middle of your plant and work its way up.

Right now it honestly looks like your plants are suffering from a severe lack of N.  The uniformed yellowing plus the problem starting with older growth is a pretty big indicator of this. 

Have you given them any food at all?

--------------------

OfflineAce_Nine_Suited
Stranger
    #503195 - 12/05/10 10:38 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

No food whatsoever, beyond what is in the Organic MG soil.

If a N deficiency is the possible ailment here, what would you suggest I do to remedy it.  Any particular product that could be found at a local HD or Lowes???

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #503197 - 12/05/10 10:44 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

If a N deficiency is the possible ailment here, what would you suggest I do to remedy it.

Feed it N? :wink:

Quote:

Any particular product that could be found at a local HD or Lowes???

No, nothing that I would personally recommend.  You would be best off sinking the 30 bucks in some proper veg nutes then using something you can get at lowes.  However, if you really really need to people have gotten by using MG or Schultz plant foods for acid loving plants.  You just need to make sure there is nothing thats time released and to seriously dilute the solution to a fraction of it's recommended dose (especially for seedlings).

I have no personal experience using MG or Schultz products to grow cannabis, but I've seen enough disasters to know it's not the best route to go down.  Plenty of online shops to order a bottle of some veg nutes from (if you have no hydro shop nearby).  You can also looking into making a guano tea, I'm not sure how fast that will remedy your problem, but you should be able to pick up some decent guano/castings/meals from your local garden shop.

--------------------

OfflineAce_Nine_Suited
Stranger
    #503199 - 12/05/10 10:49 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

K thanks for all the input.  I will look into finding some veg nutes and thinning em out real good before adding a small amount to see if that helps.

Offlinejkell
Midnight toker

Loc: Don' worry bout it
    #503275 - 12/05/10 06:43 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Dude your also definitely gonna want check your ph too otherwise the N you add in will get locked out and be worthless. Get the ph of the soil to a proper level before adding anything to the plant.

OfflineAce_Nine_Suited
Stranger
Re: Growth Issue : 2nd Time Around..Pics, Details, Input Please! [Re: jkell]
    #505658 - 12/14/10 05:42 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

UPDATE!!!

Used some generic veg nutes (M/G), from the local Home Depot.  Heavy on the nitrogen.

Appears to have worked, and jump started 2 of the 3 plants real nicely.

I decided to turn on my 400 watt HPS in addition to the 3 CFLs I had going.

Here are the pics.  Some slight sagging going on.  Possibly cause of the increase in heat from the 400W (I did start running a nice fan and open the bathroom door a lot more than usual as a result to cool down the room.  Freezing outside anyway, so house temp is lower than normal too.

Any guess on the sagging?  Is that normal?  The heat?  I havent been watering too much at all but now with the increased heat a little from the 400 W, I have been watering a tad more cause the soil drys out quicker.

Any input on the pics and the saggy leaves would be a help!

Offlinemuse42
Zomberrific

Loc: West Coast
    #505699 - 12/14/10 07:55 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

did you ever find out your waters pH?

--------------------
It looks like it's going to be another Gravity Bong type day...

InvisibleHendershot
Shapeshifter
Male User Gallery

Re: Growth Issue : 2nd Time Around..Pics, Details, Input Please! [Re: muse42]
    #505707 - 12/14/10 08:11 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Looks like maybe the "sagging" may be because you have light sources under ther plants, while the hps is a little too far away..

--------------------

"You're cool, you're cool, fuck you, I'm out.."

InvisibleHendershot
Shapeshifter
Male User Gallery

Re: Growth Issue : 2nd Time Around..Pics, Details, Input Please! [Re: Hendershot]
    #505709 - 12/14/10 08:16 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Are you going to do any training? You may want to turn a fan directly on them also, to strengthen those stems. or pick em up and shake em a bit..

--------------------

"You're cool, you're cool, fuck you, I'm out.."

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals