Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMahavatar
At Peace
Male User Gallery

Loc: Quebec
How much composted sheep manure can I use?
    #502282 - 12/01/10 12:27 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Starting some seedlings and I need to know how high a ratio of composted sheep manure I can use before I risk stunting the young plants?

--------------------
Most people consider the course of events as natural and inevitable. They little know what radical change are possible through prayer. Every morning I offer my body, my mind and any ability that I posses, to be used by Thee, O infinite creator, in whatever way Thou dost choose to express Thyself through me. I know that all work is Thy work, and that no task is too difficult or too menial when offered to Thee in loving service.

Paramahansa Yogananda.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCrayolaHalls
Dreams of Oceans
Male

Re: How much composted sheep manure can I use? [Re: Mahavatar]
    #502328 - 12/01/10 02:06 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Depends on a lot of things.  Treat it like rich soil and amend it as necessary.

No one is going to be able to tell you exactly what to do except whoever has an opportunity to see and test the manure for themselves.

--------------------
I am not a cannabis grower.  I find the cannabis growers to be the most open to experimenting and sharing out of all of the different botany groups I enjoy.  I frequently use the suggestions that I find to apply to own organic gardening and food production.

Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger
Trusted Cultivator
Re: How much composted sheep manure can I use? [Re: Mahavatar]
    #502356 - 12/01/10 04:16 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I prefer worm castings for a manure // nitrogen source esp for seedlings. Worm castings will effect the texture of your soil (make it too compact/dense) before it would burn seedlings (I don't think worm castings would burn seedlings) for worm castings apply 20% or less.

For sheep manure I'd say 5% or less for seedlings.

InvisibleCrayolaHalls
Dreams of Oceans
Male

Re: How much composted sheep manure can I use? [Re: maryanne3087]
    #502386 - 12/01/10 05:53 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

maryanne3087 said:

You can plant seeds directly in sheep manure as long as the consistency is right.  If the composted sheep manure drains well you can go 100%.  Sheep manure is lower in nitrogen in most manures and higher in potassium and phosphorus.

The biggest problem I can foresee with sheep manure is seeds that the sheep ate.  As long as the manure was hot composted the seeds should be dead.

I've done this before with a 5 gallon bucket of rabbit shit.  It did not burn and I never once added anything to it, seed to harvest.

--------------------
I am not a cannabis grower.  I find the cannabis growers to be the most open to experimenting and sharing out of all of the different botany groups I enjoy.  I frequently use the suggestions that I find to apply to own organic gardening and food production.

Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger
Trusted Cultivator
Re: How much composted sheep manure can I use? [Re: CrayolaHalls]
    #502395 - 12/01/10 06:25 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

CrayolaHalls said:
Quote:

maryanne3087 said:

You can plant seeds directly in sheep manure as long as the consistency is right.  If the composted sheep manure drains well you can go 100%.  Sheep manure is lower in nitrogen in most manures and higher in potassium and phosphorus.

The biggest problem I can foresee with sheep manure is seeds that the sheep ate.  As long as the manure was hot composted the seeds should be dead.

I've done this before with a 5 gallon bucket of rabbit shit.  It did not burn and I never once added anything to it, seed to harvest.

I meant to type 15% or less, sheep manure isn't hot and is comparable to worm castings in terms of nitrogen content.

I've burnt my seedlings with 30% sheep manure last last outdoor season, slightly. The problem with manures esp the brands you buy at hardware stores and whatnot is they have filler, they also use other animal manures and compost if they don't have whatever it is they're marketing on hand.

InvisibleCrayolaHalls
Dreams of Oceans
Male

Re: How much composted sheep manure can I use? [Re: maryanne3087]
    #502426 - 12/01/10 07:51 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

maryanne3087 said:
Quote:

CrayolaHalls said:
Quote:

maryanne3087 said:

I meant to type 15% or less, sheep manure isn't hot and is comparable to worm castings in terms of nitrogen content.

I've burnt my seedlings with 30% sheep manure last last outdoor season, slightly. The problem with manures esp the brands you buy at hardware stores and whatnot is they have filler, they also use other animal manures and compost if they don't have whatever it is they're marketing on hand.

Those are legitimate issues.  That is why my initial response was that it would be best to get help from someone who was familiar with the exact source of the poo.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates