Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinebubshine2103
Stranger

compost?
    #260515 - 08/06/09 11:48 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

i would like to make my own orgnaic compost for next season and have heard that you need to do this the year before, so i would like to start soon.  so far i have heard of used coffee grounds, used tea, bat poop, vermiculite and perlite for airation and fruit scraps except citrus, and egg shells, and fish guts but going to stay away from fish guts because i don't fish and that would be an un barrable smell.  but after that not sure, so i would like to know about any other ingredients and how to mix and keep it.

thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: compost? [Re: bubshine2103]
    #260588 - 08/06/09 01:58 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Check out a book called "Let it Rot".
Its all about different methods of composting.
Almost anything organic can be composted...weeds, straw, grass clippings, leaves, sawdust, etc.
You need to get close to a good ratio of high nitrogen to high carbon materials and be aware that you may need to supplement your compost when you use it in your flowering mix.
To make compost you need at least a 3x3x3 pile, and it needs to be turned once a week or so...don't put perlite in the compost mix, wait until you are using the compost to add perlite.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Loc: Hawaiian Islands Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: compost? [Re: 81renaissance]
    #261429 - 08/07/09 09:59 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

81renaissance said:
Check out a book called "Let it Rot".
Its all about different methods of composting.
Almost anything organic can be composted...weeds, straw, grass clippings, leaves, sawdust, etc.
You need to get close to a good ratio of high nitrogen to high carbon materials and be aware that you may need to supplement your compost when you use it in your flowering mix.
To make compost you need at least a 3x3x3 pile, and it needs to be turned once a week or so...don't put perlite in the compost mix, wait until you are using the compost to add perlite.

:thumbup:

You need a good base material like the ones listed above. Grass clippings and other yard trimmings other then chunks of really green wood are good for this in my circumstance. I then add about a 5 gallon bucket of cow manure and fish scraps and veggy table scraps. Do the whole turn the pile thing every week or so. viola! nice compost.

--------------------

:guns: Don't Mistake My Kindness For Weakness :guns:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate