Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineGoombah
Esquire
Female User Gallery

Loc: Peoples Republic of MA Flag
1000w Super Lemon Haze, Cheepo Flood-Drain Hydro, FF, Pics
    #498130 - 11/15/10 12:25 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I originally started posting in Doctors Diagnosis because I had a few problems at first. Since I'm new at this (aside from a half-assed, half-hearted closet trial) I decided to post my grow journal because I know I'm going to need a lot more help along the way. So here goes:

12 SLH from seed (fem)
FF nutes per their schedule
Ph 6.0
1000w MH for veg/ 1000w hps for flower
Lights 18/6
Temp 80F
No ppm/EC meter

Seeds:
Germinated in paper towel, 100% germination, transferred with tweezers to 1" rockwool (cut in half), hydroton, 3" net pots. Directly under MH, about 4' so they wouldn't get burned. (Actually, the first 8 days or so they were stuffed in a closet while we waited for a repairman who could never show up on time - so they are a little bit off schedule).

The system:
(2) 4"x6' fence post
Reservoir, water pump, tubing, fish tank bubbler, timer.

Venting right out the basement window

Still need to get the carbon filter up and running. Using a 4" inline fan right now but I don't think it is going to do the job when the filter is installed.

End of Week 3

This is when I originally posted to Doctors Diagnosis. They were looking really wimpy, had curled leaves, brown tips, purple stems. With some expert advice I think I'm finally back on track.
http://www.growery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/495896

Seven Days Later (Today)

Watering every two hours except over night. Gluttons are drinking about a gallon a day now.

Now comes the questions:

Worried about vertical space. Right now the light is about 3 feet over the canopy, I can raise it another two feet or so. Not sure how much longer to wait before I flip the lights. Plants are at about 9-10" I can always tie them down I suppose. Root balls are pretty massive but not plugging up the rails yet, but future growth is definitely a concern.

To clone or not to clone:
12 SLH seeds and every single plant is different. I didn't realize that they would be so diverse coming from the same strain. Lesson learned. So I will need a minimum of 12 clones to refill the system (plus extras in case of loss). Obviously I would want to take them from the best plant which, aside from growth patterns, I have no way of knowing which one it's going to be before harvest. Not to mention I don't want to butcher one plant for all the cuttings I am going to need. I know the best time to take them is now before flowering. But I am a little at a loss as to how I should proceed. Also, after my last experiment, I am a little remiss about shoving them in a closet for six weeks while the other plants flower. Though after reading several cloning posts and some expert advice, I'm told they will be just fine. Any additional insight would be most welcome. Oh yes, I also have some seeds left so maybe I should just start a designated mother plant.

Well all, thanks for looking. Let me know what you think.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinejkell
Midnight toker

Loc: Don' worry bout it
Re: 1000w Super Lemon Haze, Cheepo Flood-Drain Hydro, FF, Pics [Re: Goombah]
    #498150 - 11/15/10 05:58 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Great set-up and great plants! haha and you spoil them with a 1000 watt HPS and MH :ganja:

InvisibleHendershot
Shapeshifter
Male User Gallery

Re: 1000w Super Lemon Haze, Cheepo Flood-Drain Hydro, FF, Pics [Re: jkell]
    #498179 - 11/15/10 08:03 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

:nothingtoadd:

--------------------

"You're cool, you're cool, fuck you, I'm out.."

OfflineGoombah
Esquire
Female User Gallery

#498400 - 11/16/10 12:44 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Looking a little better all the time I think (except for the one little straggler on the end). I tied the two biggest plants down so the canopy would be even in height all around.

Yet another fine use for duct-tape.

Well the dreaded leaf curl came back, I think I fucked something up topping off the tank. It only happens to the one stupid plant (the one I had to tie down). I changed my tank again tonight and corrected for any imbalances so hopefully this will fix the problem as it seemed to before.

Still waiting on any suggestions when to flip the light. I did some more reading and If I understand correctly, one should be finished training the plants before they go into flowering. So my concern is how much vertical growth to expect so I don't have to tie anymore during flowering. I am keeping the light pretty cool with the exhaust but I guess I need about 18" clearance to keep from burning the plants.

I think I'm going to give it one more week in veg - maybe longer? I don't want to sell myself short either.

Thanks for any suggestions.

OfflineGoombah
Esquire
Female User Gallery

#498756 - 11/17/10 01:26 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Anybody out there? Next time I'm gonna name my thread Blow-Job, Blow-Job, Blow-Job. That ought to bring you bastards running :wink:
OK so I guess its trial by fire. I'll keep studying and growing and praying to the plant gods. I suppose since I haven't killed anything yet I'm handling matters ok. I'll keep posting too though I'm starting to think I'm talking to myself - maybe I'll offer a titty shot to the grower who helps me the most (after browsing the Smoke Lounge I know how you guys operate). They are pretty impressive... :naughty:

So todays update: The little be-otches keep growing overnight, so I tied a few more down. It is amazing how they twist themselves upright in a just a few hours. I've got a lot of good grow tips already after topping them a couple of weeks ago. Tying the main branches down has certainly exposed the younger tips to more light, though they do not seem to be suffering in anyway under the 1000w. Hopefully I'll have a few more grow out before I flip the lights, which I'll probably do in about 5 days or so.

I still have curly leaf syndrome with the one plant, hasn't hindered growth any, but I have a sneaking suspicion it is going to commit suicide sooner or later.

All for now.

OfflineGoombah
Esquire
Female User Gallery

#498757 - 11/17/10 01:33 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Forgot to mention: Anyone out there using Fox Farm in their hydro? My dizzy gals used to smell like sweet citrus now they smell like moo-poo. I know I'm supposed to flush before harvest so please tell me they are not going to taste like a cattle farm when I'm done.

Offlinejkell
Midnight toker

#498759 - 11/17/10 01:40 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Haha crazy how the plants grow at night, who woulda thunk? but on a more serious note I haven't really seen many hydro grows with FF always thought that was more of a soil thing, but what do I know? Good luck man, and know I'm still watching :thumbup:

OfflineGoombah
Esquire
Female User Gallery

#499116 - 11/18/10 12:40 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Just a little update to keep this thread alive. Got to start thinking of clones asap.

Offlinejkell
Midnight toker

#499211 - 11/18/10 04:28 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Yummy, I can't remember if you've said this or not, but you gonna send those babies to 12/12 soon?

OfflineGoombah
Esquire
Female User Gallery

#499286 - 11/18/10 08:22 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

jkell said:
Yummy, I can't remember if you've said this or not, but you gonna send those babies to 12/12 soon?

Yeah, I was hoping someone would chime in and give me an idea of how big I can expect them to get before I run out of vertical space. So I decided to give them a few more days of veg since they got off to a slow start. Most likely I'm gonna flip them this weekend - that will be five weeks of veg time, just one week over schedule.

I've got to take some clones soon to but I am not quite prepared. Should have that setup going by the weekend.

Offlinejkell
Midnight toker

#499289 - 11/18/10 08:46 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah this weekend sounds good. I would just take the clones whenever you get the equipment (which from your post sounds like this weekend) and flip em after that. You can at least expect em to double in size from veg so looks like your gonna have a great harvest :grin:

Edited by jkell (11/18/10 08:48 PM)

OfflineGoombah
Esquire
Female User Gallery

#499394 - 11/19/10 10:38 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Hey jKell, I think I'm screwed. Just discovered roots growing out my drain pipe. I know large root systems are a good thing, but I'm afraid now that the system is going to get clogged before all is said and done:mad2:

InvisibleGod
Yahweh

#499643 - 11/20/10 11:29 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Looking good man, nice even canopy and all filled in!

I'm no expert on ebb & flow, but I think you can trim roots if they get out of hand.  Might give them a bit of a shock for a couple days.  Research more before taking that advice.  (P.S.  I love your ghetto setup, it looks quite effective and surprisingly neat and clean!)

And yeah, 5 weeks of veg should be plenty.  If they weren't fem seeds, I'd say wait until they're all showing sex and cull the males.  Since they're ladies, you probably can flip it whenever you want, but from what I've seen they respond more quickly to flowering cycles when they're already mature (alternating nodes, showing sex).

Don't lose heart, keep updating if only for your own records in the future.

OfflineGoombah
Esquire
Female User Gallery

Re: 1000w Super Lemon Haze, Cheepo Flood-Drain Hydro, FF, Pics [Re: God]
    #499733 - 11/20/10 07:13 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks God. I paid about $110 to put the whole thing together (excluding lights of course), the most expensive part was the pump and the timer :grin: I must say I probably wasted a little money trying to find the best glue to adhere the flexible pipe to the vinyl fence post. In the end it was my stupid $5 glue gun that I found stuffed in a closet somewhere that worked the best.

I'm going to modify the system a bit next go around (providing I don't have to abort the mission due to clogged pipes), I will probably do four 4-foot rails instead of two 6-foot so I will get better light distribution. That will also add space for an extra four plants.

I've got to modify my "drain" system a bit too. The plastic funnels splash on occasion. I suppose I should bite the bullet, cap the open ends and install a real drain, but the open end allows me to peek inside to see how the roots are making out. I can also pop out the dam for easy cleanup of debris.

I also would like to find a shallower/shorter reservoir so I can lower the rails closer to the floor. This will give me a little more vertical space.

OfflineGoombah
Esquire
Female User Gallery

#500020 - 11/21/10 11:21 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Budget clone cabinet:

OK cut my clones. Hope this freekin works. CFLs 24/7, rockwool, hydroton, solo cups, and duct tape. Got six extras just in case. Somehow I feel really bad for cutting up my poopsies like this, though I probably could have taken fifty cuttings if I needed to. Just trusting that you guys know your stuff.

Changed my reservoir, flushed the system, and switched the lights over. Tomorrow will be officially flower day 1. Wish me luck.

OfflineGoombah
Esquire
Female User Gallery

#500087 - 11/22/10 11:58 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Update:
Switched the lights to 12/12 (as mentioned) but I also switched the MH for the HPS bulb which I have discovered is nowhere near as hot as the MH. The MH was keeping the space a nice 80F whereas the HPS is maintaining at about 72F. This may be a problem shortly as the temperature is really beginning to drop here at night. May have to throw a space heater in or something (more electricity--ARG!) Not to mention
it will probably screw with my humidity levels and what little fresh air there is in the basement. Could probably throw the heater on a timer just to come on at night for a few hours.

The clone closet is maintaining between 72-78F so I think it will be ok for now.

InvisibleCrayolaHalls
Dreams of Oceans
Male

#500164 - 11/22/10 07:23 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

The WalMart near me has an aisle of seasonal stuff... like heaters and window sealers.  I was just checking out some of the new heaters.  They had at least one model that had the ability to put out moisture too.  It had a water reservoir.  I didn't need one, so I did not look at it very closely.  Might be worth taking a look there if you have not already.

Another idea would be to just get a traditional warm mist humidifier and have it come on for a few minutes every couple hours at night.

Good luck.

--------------------
I am not a cannabis grower.  I find the cannabis growers to be the most open to experimenting and sharing out of all of the different botany groups I enjoy.  I frequently use the suggestions that I find to apply to own organic gardening and food production.

OfflineGoombah
Esquire
Female User Gallery

#500301 - 11/23/10 11:33 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Just a quick update:

OfflineGoombah
Esquire
Female User Gallery

Re: 1000w Super Lemon Haze, Cheepo Flood-Drain Hydro, FF, Pics [Re: CrayolaHalls]
    #500302 - 11/23/10 11:35 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

CrayolaHalls said:
The WalMart near me has an aisle of seasonal stuff... like heaters and window sealers.  I was just checking out some of the new heaters.  They had at least one model that had the ability to put out moisture too.  It had a water reservoir.  I didn't need one, so I did not look at it very closely.  Might be worth taking a look there if you have not already.

Another idea would be to just get a traditional warm mist humidifier and have it come on for a few minutes every couple hours at night.

Good luck.

Gotta love Wally-World, even if it is the Evil Empire. Will check it out this payday. Thanks.

OfflineGoombah
Esquire
Female User Gallery

#500375 - 11/23/10 06:19 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Update:
Still have the one curly-leaved PIA, you can see it in the lower right-hand corner of the last picture I posted:mad2:. I have a theory that due to the slope gradient of the rail, that particular plant is getting bombarded with too much nutrient as it is right at the drain end of the system. Dunno, just a thought.

The clones are hanging in there. Must have done something right because they don't look like they are dying or anything.

I'm also thinking that vegging that extra week might have been too much, its a jungle down there, looks like a scene from Apocalypse Now. The 1000w seems to be doing fine reaching under the canopy, they are all really bushy. Don't know if this is a good thing. Thought I might trim the under foliage but it is perfectly green and healthy so I'll just leave well enough alone for now.

I'm starting to get the how-much-am-I-going-to-yield fever. Just keep trying to put that out of my mind, still too much that can go wrong the next few weeks.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Cultivation Supplies