Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleT-Rex
Herbsman
Male User Gallery

Loc: Devils Marbles Flag
Grafting to root stock; growing weed like Apples
    #496538 - 11/09/10 01:08 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

As somebody interesting not only in Marijuana cultivation but also fruit, vegetable as well as floral gardening, I've read up on the process of grafting branches from mature tree's with desirable characteristics to the rootstock of another plant.

Its done because most fruit tree's planted from seed don't come true, and the majority of seedlings are inferior to the parent. Tree's grown from seed also take many years before flowering and fruiting, up to 7-10 years for Apples, and they have to go through a juvenile phase. Most tree fruits don't root well from clone, so grafting is a more reliable method of reproducing a particular phenotype.

The general trend in fruit growing has been towards producing smaller, more manageable trees and, to this end, research stations have concentrated on selecting and breeding more dwarfing rootstock. This makes tree's flower earlier and be generally more productive.

Even though next to none of those reason's have anything to do with Cannabis, and there probably wouldn't be any benefits from doing it other than maybe marginally faster growth (maybe), it was still enough to raise my interest in the subject, and I don't see any harm in trying it. So I'm wondering if one of the more experienced cultivators would like to take a stab at trying to graft a clone to an existing rootstock?

I'm sure there are multiple sources available on the method via the internet, but should it be required I can give instructions.

Here's one site I found
www.freeplants.com/grafting_fruit_trees_and_ornamental_plants.htm

This is just an open invitation to anyone with an opinion on how it would work, or anyone with some room to spare in their veg box for a bit of an experiment, and who knows, you might get some science award if it all goes well :drevil:

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCrayolaHalls
Dreams of Oceans
Male

Re: Grafting to root stock; growing weed like Apples [Re: T-Rex]
    #496544 - 11/09/10 01:50 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I am not certain that you would have success without some very sophisticated equipment.  Grafting is popular on woody trees and shrubs.  The structure of cannabis does not seem conducive to normal methods.  Herbaceous plants have different sensitivities than woody varieties.  Cell wall structures are different, as are methods of transpiration.  Cutting something "soft" like cannabis is likely to severely damage the existing vascular system to the point it will not join to anything else.

Still.. if someone has done it I would like to see it for curiosity's sake.

--------------------
I am not a cannabis grower.  I find the cannabis growers to be the most open to experimenting and sharing out of all of the different botany groups I enjoy.  I frequently use the suggestions that I find to apply to own organic gardening and food production.

InvisibleT-Rex
Herbsman
Male User Gallery

Re: Grafting to root stock; growing weed like Apples [Re: CrayolaHalls]
    #496546 - 11/09/10 02:01 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

That's true, when its done with tree's they cut into the cambium layer of both the clone and the root before placing them together, and that part is the tissue between the bark and the woody centre of a stem because its capable of producing new stem cells. And to be honest I didn't even really consider the fact that the cell wall structures were completely different :lol::facepalm: Still I'm sure it could be done, if not to rootstock then possibly a branch transplant from one plant to another?

--------------------

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #496550 - 11/09/10 02:14 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah it can be done and it's not all that hard.

Been at least 6 years but I heard about a friend the grafted a bunch of branches from different plants onto one plant. I decided to give it a try myself and it worked. The branches still grew the way they would on the original plant. Meaning that if it was long flowering strain it still took long to flower, if it was a short flowering strain the it was still short flowering. Made for a interesting project.

I've heard you can graft to different plant species but I never gave that a try.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

InvisibleT-Rex
Herbsman
Male User Gallery

Re: Grafting to root stock; growing weed like Apples [Re: Magash]
    #496551 - 11/09/10 02:25 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Would you be willing to attempt grafting a clone to a rootstock next time you harvest? I think I can speak for a few members when I say it would be interesting to watch the process:awesomenod:

--------------------

InvisibleCrayolaHalls
Dreams of Oceans
Male

#496575 - 11/09/10 08:37 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I'm very surprised.  Vid from Amsterdam of grafted plant.

http://theweedreport.com/videos/view/grafting-marijuana_6709.html?m=424

--------------------
I am not a cannabis grower.  I find the cannabis growers to be the most open to experimenting and sharing out of all of the different botany groups I enjoy.  I frequently use the suggestions that I find to apply to own organic gardening and food production.

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
    #496702 - 11/09/10 06:17 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

So as long as I kept all the branches labeled, I could have one mother plant that produced clones for multiple strains?! That's awesome!

Having a limit as to how many plants I can have, being able to pull more than one strain off a mother is great for diversity in the grow-room...

--------------------
My best run so far

InvisibleT-Rex
Herbsman
Male User Gallery

#496706 - 11/09/10 06:31 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

For being in Amsterdam that dude sounded South African. That's a cool video, I can't believe he got 11 strains on 1 plant :eek: I'm still curious to see a clone grafted right down at the rootstock though.

I wonder, if you had a rootstock big enough if you could graft 3-4 strains to it. Gaahhh, I need somebody to do this!

--------------------

InvisibleLaysthepipe
Vivi Sex Symbol
 User Gallery

Loc: KOREA
    #496849 - 11/10/10 10:05 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Graft an autoflower to a huge mother :stoner:

--------------------
:advisory:

“If you want to find out who your real friends are, sink the ship. The first ones to jump aren’t your friends.” — Marilyn Manson

This isn't the correct place to confront me on anything.

Forum full of dead stars, and a necro I called Coma White

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Grafting to root stock; growing weed like Apples [Re: Laysthepipe]
    #496888 - 11/10/10 04:16 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Why do you want someone to do this so badly??  Ti's already been done, and besides mothers, has shown that the're is no real benefit.  Grafting one strain that yields less to a root stock of a larger yielding strain really doesn't do much to benefit the grafted strain.  And it just adds more time into your growing process. 

Why do you  do it buddy??  Do you think you don't have the skills or something?

And why an auto flower to a mother??  Just so you can have a branch that's flowering while you take clones for your real grow??  Again, seems like a waste of time to me.  But to each their own I guess.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

InvisibleLaysthepipe
Vivi Sex Symbol
 User Gallery

Re: Grafting to root stock; growing weed like Apples [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #496893 - 11/10/10 04:33 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
And why an auto flower to a mother??  Just so you can have a branch that's flowering while you take clones for your real grow??  Again, seems like a waste of time to me.  But to each their own I guess.

I don't think that whole post was directed towards me except this part.

Few reasons. If it is a big mother that would give both a big root system and a large surface area that should make the autofower have bigger buds than normal.

It would be flowering in the veg room, on a mother that would be in there anyway without adding another plant count. Get buds off your mother while the clones flower also.

--------------------

“If you want to find out who your real friends are, sink the ship. The first ones to jump aren’t your friends.” — Marilyn Manson

InvisibleT-Rex
Herbsman
Male User Gallery

#496908 - 11/10/10 06:22 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I've seen people who have transplanted branches to other branches but not a clone to a rootstock as an entire new plant. The only reason I want it to happen is as I said it would be pretty interesting to watch, and no I don't think I have the skill, nor the plants at the moment.

I'm not putting a gun to anyone's head, just an open invitation for curiosity sake

--------------------

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
    #496945 - 11/10/10 08:11 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

A guns more fun.:rofl:

Would be an interesting project to watch.

Clone gaffed to base of plant, wait till its growing, harvest plant.
Wonder if there would be any benefit of a small plant with large root system already in place?

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever sence.

InvisibleT-Rex
Herbsman
Male User Gallery

Re: Grafting to root stock; growing weed like Apples [Re: KaptKid]
    #496946 - 11/10/10 08:13 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

That's what I was wondering too, I would think it would grow at least a little faster once it took to the transplant?

--------------------

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #497173 - 11/11/10 04:20 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Laysthepipe said:
Quote:

hawksapprentice said:

Few reasons. If it is a big mother that would give both a big root system and a large surface area that should make the autofower have bigger buds than normal.

It would be flowering in the veg room, on a mother that would be in there anyway without adding another plant count. Get buds off your mother while the clones flower also.

Well they have tried this in a sense.  Not with mother plants but just your whole flowering plant.  They attach a branch of a strain that yields less to the root system of a strain that was higher yielding  in hope to get a bigger yield from the grafted strain.  It ended up that the grafted strain did not produce any more than it would have on it;s own.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineDoctorDarkMatter
Stranger

Re: Grafting to root stock; growing weed like Apples [Re: Magash]
    #497192 - 11/11/10 05:35 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

So is it possible to graft multiple male branches on to a mother plant along with multiple female branches to cross breed many strains at once or together. Or does it not work that way?

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Grafting to root stock; growing weed like Apples [Re: DoctorDarkMatter]
    #497193 - 11/11/10 05:39 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Oh yeah that could work, I don't really do any breeding though so I'm no expert in it.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineDoctorDarkMatter
Stranger

#497198 - 11/11/10 05:51 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I would see that to be the only benefit other then variety of grafting. That way you could cross maybe three or four strains together at once or more.In theory, I'm no expert either.

InvisibleLaysthepipe
Vivi Sex Symbol
 User Gallery

#497221 - 11/11/10 06:54 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
Quote:

Laysthepipe said:
Quote:

hawksapprentice said:

Well they have tried this in a sense.  Not with mother plants but just your whole flowering plant.  They attach a branch of a strain that yields less to the root system of a strain that was higher yielding  in hope to get a bigger yield from the grafted strain.  It ended up that the grafted strain did not produce any more than it would have on it;s own.

That is a lot different though.

Just because the strain yields more will not change the genetics of the low yielding strain once grafted.

The difference here is...

To provide a plant that cannot get that large of a root system a larger one than it would get normally in its lifetime.

Also, to give the plant a lot bigger surface area coverage (which autos wouldn't be able to get that large by themselves) of leaves to help produce larger buds.

--------------------

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #497232 - 11/11/10 07:25 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

It doesn't matter.  It's already been done, and shown that it doesn't increase yield.

--------------------

-niteowl

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix