Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineChapter 4

Seed trouble
    #484533 - 10/03/10 03:24 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

started seeds 1 month ago and got 95% to pop, though some died after that.

tried the SAME batch of seeds last week and nothing!  also tried some other old seeds which had low hopes of and also nothing.

i am using a clay type eating bowl with moist tissue method.  never had issues before but not they just dont seem to germinate and the tissue gets brown spots around the seeds...any idea what is going on?  the weirdest part is 2 seeds did sprout a tiny little root then immediately died after putting it in coco to grow.  it was in the tissue 6 days and the root popped on day 2 but never grew more...

right now only have 1 girl, and 5 seeds left....really need to get these seeds to grow, but am scared to try this method again as its killed 50 seeds...the biggest problem is there is no weed in this country and no seeds...had to hide these in the luggage when traveling to another country.  this is the last hope...please help!  self sustained growing is a must as there is no way of getting more otehr than buying mail order...but this country's customs is probabyl one of the most thorough at searching and nothing plant related gets through.

thanks for any help!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Seed trouble [Re: Chapter 4]
    #484563 - 10/03/10 08:16 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

just plant the seed directly in some soil, keep it warm, and wait a few days.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Offlinedmtcorey
~The time police~
 User Gallery

Re: Seed trouble [Re: coda]
    #484664 - 10/03/10 12:54 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

maybe the seeds are 10 years old or something,you can look into using hormones such as gibberellic acid ,its good for germinating dormant seeds,and one more thing about smuggling ,put that shit in your ass man ,if seeds are illegal in your country,its better to have a few seeds in your ass then a big dick,no what i mean jelly bean !

--------------------
:whereismiddleman:

InvisibleCrayolaHalls
Dreams of Oceans
Male

Re: Seed trouble [Re: coda]
    #485217 - 10/05/10 05:56 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

coda said:

I agree.  All you get from the paper towel method is the ability to see when they pop.  Soil (or medium) is safer for any seeds because you do not have to move them around.

Also, make sure you are not using ANY chemicals and are using pH neutral water & soil when germinating.  Seeds can burn very easily.

--------------------
I am not a cannabis grower.  I find the cannabis growers to be the most open to experimenting and sharing out of all of the different botany groups I enjoy.  I frequently use the suggestions that I find to apply to own organic gardening and food production.

Offlinelifemaker
Stranger
Re: Seed trouble [Re: CrayolaHalls]
    #488445 - 10/16/10 01:57 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

CrayolaHalls said:
Quote:

coda said:

I agree.  All you get from the paper towel method is the ability to see when they pop.  Soil (or medium) is safer for any seeds because you do not have to move them around.

Also, make sure you are not using ANY chemicals and are using pH neutral water & soil when germinating.  Seeds can burn very easily.

oh **** i just bought some room temp mineral water to germinate with, and i just checked the bottle: it's got a PH of 8.2... that's a bit more alcaline than i want for now, right?
what should i do, mix with something acid to neutralize it a tad for the next watering (in a few hours)?

InvisibleCrayolaHalls
Dreams of Oceans
Male

Re: Seed trouble [Re: lifemaker]
    #488452 - 10/16/10 02:07 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I wouldn't use something with that high of a pH without modifying it.  General Hydroponics makes relatively inexpensive solutions for raising and lowering pH.  I am sure you could also do it with household items, but I am not skilled enough with those methods to be more specific. 

Do a google search for adjusting pH.

--------------------
I am not a cannabis grower.  I find the cannabis growers to be the most open to experimenting and sharing out of all of the different botany groups I enjoy.  I frequently use the suggestions that I find to apply to own organic gardening and food production.

Offlinelifemaker
Stranger
Re: Seed trouble [Re: CrayolaHalls]
    #488458 - 10/16/10 02:14 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

CrayolaHalls said:
I wouldn't use something with that high of a pH without modifying it.  General Hydroponics makes relatively inexpensive solutions for raising and lowering pH.  I am sure you could also do it with household items, but I am not skilled enough with those methods to be more specific. 

Do a google search for adjusting pH.

thanks i'll do that! might as well spend a few hours a day learning what the hell this thing needs to feel good. i'll remember to check up pH and soil if/when the little fella pops...

InvisibleGod
Yahweh

#488461 - 10/16/10 02:24 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

CrayolaHalls said:
I wouldn't use something with that high of a pH without modifying it.

I would, and do.  My tap water is pH 8 and I use it to pop all my seeds.  Neutral is potentially a better option, but a little alkaline is fine.  I do lower the water pH to ~6 once I move them to medium, though.

InvisibleCrayolaHalls
Dreams of Oceans
Male

Re: Seed trouble [Re: God]
    #488464 - 10/16/10 02:37 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

God said:
Quote:

CrayolaHalls said:

I would, and do.  My tap water is pH 8 and I use it to pop all my seeds.  Neutral is potentially a better option, but a little alkaline is fine.  I do lower the water pH to ~6 once I move them to medium, though.

Good to know it works.  I have had some issues in the past with popping seeds.  It made me more cautious about the stress I start them out with.

Nice C99.

--------------------

Offlinelifemaker
Stranger
    #488466 - 10/16/10 02:42 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

God said:
Quote:

CrayolaHalls said:

i see, thanks.. guess i'll stick to what i have and just make sure it's nice and warm on top of my tv and well hydrated. but as soon as it pops i'll get to adjusting the ph of my water, as well as my soil. as well as an introduction to nutrients, i figure the information is very sound around here, nutrients cant hurt and if you're gonna go ahead and stabilize the pH of the plant you might as well take advantage of the nutrient absortion threshold.

i'm looking into adjusting pH already.. i'm guessing in a few days i'll have red cabbages and some sketchy(or not) chemicals that can be diluted to raise/lower pH a pinch.

thanks, peace, about to smoke up on behalf of such great public resources, such are the shroomery and (as i am discovering more recently) the growery

wish there was a "babery" on here, i'd be here first thing as soon as i knocked a chick up judging on how good the advice for nurturing life forms is on these sister sites

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #488477 - 10/16/10 03:23 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Use a dish towel and moisten it so it's wet not soaking. Sort of the way soil that your planting into is. Then take the towel with the seeds in it and put it in a freezer bag. Put the bag on top of the fridge so it stays warm. 85f is what I like anyway. I just germed some seeds that were over 5 years old and was 10 for 10.

12 days ago these were in the package

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Seed trouble [Re: Chapter 4]
    #488741 - 10/17/10 09:32 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I might also suggest scuffing your seeds by lining the inside of a toilet paper tube or matchbox with fine grit sandpaper and shaking them around for a minute.  The sandpaper creates micro-abrasions on the seed hull which increases the surface area of the seed that is exposed to moisture.
This helps with older, or heavy-hulled seeds.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

InvisibleGod
Yahweh

Re: Seed trouble [Re: 81renaissance]
    #488924 - 10/17/10 05:38 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

lifemaker said:
as well as an introduction to nutrients

Give them a little time before feeding, they're too young right after germination.  There's food stored up in the seeds; the cotyledons (first set of leaves, which are round instead of fingered) have food reserves in them.  This is to help the plant germinate and grow its way out of the soil and into the light, where it can start photosynthesizing.

Most suggest feeding a dilute (1/2 strength or less, I think) nutrient solution at about the second set of true leaves (cotyledons don't count).  You should still adjust the pH of your water, even before you start adding nutrients, though.

And yeah, 81's advice on scuffing is perfect.

Offlinelifemaker
Stranger
    #489155 - 10/18/10 11:11 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

God said:
Give them a little time before feeding, they're too young right after germination.  There's food stored up in the seeds; the cotyledons (first set of leaves, which are round instead of fingered) have food reserves in them.  This is to help the plant germinate and grow its way out of the soil and into the light, where it can start photosynthesizing.

Most suggest feeding a dilute (1/2 strength or less, I think) nutrient solution at about the second set of true leaves (cotyledons don't count).  You should still adjust the pH of your water, even before you start adding nutrients, though.

And yeah, 81's advice on scuffing is perfect.

thank, yeah i read somewhere that nutrient intake should start somewhere around the second set of "true" leaves

so i'll buy the plant food if i can find it at this huge place i'm going and just hold on to it. maybe some nitrogen-heavy stuff at least for now

i'm gonna get:
1)soil, with as little nutrients as possible+pH as close to 6.5-7 as possible
2)distilled water if possible, otherwise i guess i'm down to rainwater and pH adjustment
3)a pH indicator all the same//adjustment needs
4)lights... big problem here, i dont know if i should just get a 250W philips light and a ballast like the friend that's guiding me thru a bit on this one. it seems logical, but the ballast is not cheap at all
still.. better lights is always better, i read somewhere that light is like the #1 conditioner of a plants bud density/size etc

i dont know much but i figure with these aquisitions i should be ok for a while, at least to put my seed in a pot and start vegetative growth in a few days. any tips?

Offlinelostinbq
!!!STARNGE!!!!

Re: Seed trouble [Re: Magash]
    #489162 - 10/18/10 12:06 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Magash said:
I just germed some seeds that were over 5 years old and was 10 for 10.

MULTIKILL!!!!!!!!

RAMPAGE!!!!!!!!!!

GODLIKE!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
Everyone are you ready for doom,
Because I've blackened the sun,
And I've bloodied the moon.
I bring gloom when I step in the room,
With the fumes of a tomb.
flowers bloom when Im taken away
:rofldrunk:

Offlinelostinbq
!!!STARNGE!!!!

#489163 - 10/18/10 12:08 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

lifemaker said:

i'm gonna get:

2)distilled water if possible, otherwise i guess i'm down to rainwater and pH adjustment

NO NO NO DO NOT DO THIS!!!!
i made this mistake already this month trying to get away from tap water and hurt my plants.. magsh and hawksapprentice went over this with me it has something to do with the water, macro nutrients, and ph or some shit. in other words it hurt my plants.. u can use it but i would not advise it through trial and error..

--------------------
Everyone are you ready for doom,
Because I've blackened the sun,
And I've bloodied the moon.
I bring gloom when I step in the room,
With the fumes of a tomb.
flowers bloom when Im taken away
:rofldrunk:

Edited by lostinbq (10/18/10 12:19 PM)

InvisibleGod
Yahweh

Re: Seed trouble [Re: lostinbq]
    #489184 - 10/18/10 02:13 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

lifemaker said:
lights... big problem here, i dont know if i should just get a 250W philips light and a ballast like the friend that's guiding me thru a bit on this one. it seems logical, but the ballast is not cheap at all
still.. better lights is always better, i read somewhere that light is like the #1 conditioner of a plants bud density/size etc

How big of an area are you going to be growing in, and how many plants do you want?  This can really help determine what sort of light to get.  A 250W (what kind, BTW, metal halide or high pressure sodium?) would be good for a smallish grow, maybe up to 2.5x2.5 feet.  If you want to go bigger than that, a bigger light is in order, or at least some supplemental lighting with CFLs.

Offlinelifemaker
Stranger
    #489433 - 10/19/10 10:36 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

God said:
How big of an area are you going to be growing in, and how many plants do you want?  This can really help determine what sort of light to get.  A 250W (what kind, BTW, metal halide or high pressure sodium?) would be good for a smallish grow, maybe up to 2.5x2.5 feet.  If you want to go bigger than that, a bigger light is in order, or at least some supplemental lighting with CFLs.

Here's the lowdown:

Going with 250W HPS(sodium then, obviously), almost sure.
With the ballast that's about 200$ and I'm ordering both things one of these days as soon as i'm 100% on it.
(got lucky , my seed doner hooked me up with a one day job thing so i'll have a few hundred bucks to smack down on lights/ballast/beyond)

my growspace is about 2x3 or 2x4 feet, so yeah it's at around 2.5 square feet and thusfar i only have one seedling just germinated and potted to sprout and it's at my friends (it was his seed, and his buds always kick ass, i think its in good hands) place at a pretty good distance from his 250W HPS, under his recommendation
as soon as it's out of the soil/i get the lights, it's comin right back home

anyway i might germinate another seed or two, but mainly just in case this one has any complications/gender issues. so i'll be dealing with most likely 1-3 specimens

i think that light should do it, might as well spend more cash on proper venting than on a stronger light given that HPS seems pretty decent for veg/flowering.

i'm also ordering a timer and some (5L) perlite just in case i dont find it when i go buy my soil personally

i've been offered a deal though, what do you guys think?:
250W HPS light, 250W MH light (i think, may have been another. all i know is it was more expensive than the sodium light on the site i was checking out), reflector, ballast, timer, and some other "indoor-set" stuff. slightly used - 500$

i remember adding the stuff up new and the price was about the same, but maybe it's an amazing deal and i'm a lil blind here. i didn't go for it (said i'd think it over) cause i dont really have 500% on hand, but if its really worth it or something i can work it out

InvisibleGod
Yahweh

#489497 - 10/19/10 04:19 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

lifemaker said:
my growspace is about 2x3 or 2x4 feet, so yeah it's at around 2.5 square feet....i'll be dealing with most likely 1-3 specimens

What you've described is actually 6-8 square feet, so you're heavily underestimating how much space you have.  2.5 square feet is only a little bigger than 1.5x1.5 feet.  If you want to fill your whole 6-8 ft2 with light and plants, you'd need a 600W HID (or equivalent) and 4-10 plants, depending on size.  My 600W switchable HPS (it takes HPS and MH conversion bulbs) cost $300, ballast, bulbs, air-cooled reflector, and cables all included.  That was two years ago from HTG Supply.  I highly suggest digging around on their site, both of the deals you've described sound subpar.  If that's two separate lights (250W HPS and MH), I might pay $250 for that gear used (depending on how used, the bulbs will need replacing very soon, and they're expensive).  Tell them you'll give them $200.

Oh, and make sure your timer (A) is digital and (B) has three prongs, not two (grow equipment should be properly grounded).

Offlinelifemaker
Stranger
    #489503 - 10/19/10 04:50 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

ah ! digital timer and three prongs

already overlooking two things there, cause i was about to get a normalish timer without a clue as to whether there are prongs involved. thanks for the heads up, i'll make sure to get a higher-tech timer then the one i almost placed an order for yesterday

and yes, i totally did the math horribly. it's a big space, i keep a rolled mattress and a ton of shit in there usually, it's for clothes but i have enough room in my department for 20fold my clothes or like 40 plants with all the fortunately apt furnature, so i just thought of using the biggest nicest place right from the first grow and filling it out over time. first grow is thusfar just one plant waiting to rise from it's pot and i'll probably germinate two or three more pretty soon just to take advantage of my space

is the light gonna fill too many empty spaces this way? i want to look into cooling so i can get it up close and personal, i hear that's where it's at. so i guess i'm pretty sure on the 250w HPS light for now, most certainly will be getting an MH somewhere down the road

and yes i will be looking for a better deal, already found a few. i'm trying to wrap my head around buying the light+ballast+timer just to have an initial setup going. i'm guessing a reflector is overkill until i get some ventilation going, so that's my priority first. i cant fathom finding the money for some big changes right now though, and a few fans sitting in that big space probably wont get the job done.. i'll be searching thru old threads to figure this one out

hopefully with a few investments i can make this experience come out alright, and use all the knowledge for a beastly grow maybe early into next year
and post some pictures for all you blessings

i'm really interested in proper ventilation, it's a pity i dont have another one-day job stunt to pull for another few hundred bucks

oh well, i have enough to get my feet wet. haven't even gotten to pH indicator/adjustment or nutrients yet, and i really dont want to let either slide, seeing as though pH is all about not blocking up those nutrients if you're gonna feed

any ideas for a quick fix regarding air circulation?
it's a pretty big closet so i'm guessing this is gonna get dirty all over again, a few times a month until i have a few jars of drying buds and can happily recall the money well spent along the way

EDIT: currently the little one is sleeping (and sapping up water) alongside some month-old or so plants at a friend's place, under a 250w HPS light. i dont know if i read that until the seedling comes up from the soil it wants humidity and not light, but my friend advised me to leave it there and his plants are doing very well in standard conditions
should i take the cup away from the light and bag it for some moischah or just leave it be?

Edited by lifemaker (10/19/10 04:54 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Cultivation Supplies