Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleGod
Yahweh

Fresh2: Odor-Eliminating CFL Review
    #488351 - 10/16/10 12:32 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Edit: This is not an advertisement for the Fresh2 bulb.  It's just the one that I came across first, the one that seems most prolifically mentioned on the interwebz, and the one that I actually bought; hence the "review".  There are many other brands, as evidenced by this Google shopping link.  They should all work to eliminate odors, assuming they're actually coated in titanium dioxide, and there are some nifty ones, like 4-pin flat double twin tube bulbs! /Edit

I know what you're thinking: "Light bulbs that are also air fresheners?!  No fuggin' way!"  Yeah fuggin' way.

The Fresh2 bulb is a 23W, 2700K CFL.  It costs $20 for two bulbs from fresh2.com (I believe Amazon also sells them individually for $10).  This might seem like a lot of money for a bulb, but since it's also an odor eliminator, that's not too bad.

Here's how it works: The bulb is coated in titanium dioxide, which is in a lot of shit, including some food (especially if it's been colored white).  When the TiO2 is exposed to the light emitted by the bulb, strong oxidizers are emitted.  These oxidizers eliminate odors, among other things.

This TiO2+light reaction is no bullshit; it's a well-documented effect.

Because light is required for the oxidation reaction to take place, obviously the odor-reducing properties of the bulb only work when it's turned on (or maybe if a bright light were shining on it :shrug:).  Also, these bulbs work best if they're in an area where air flows over the coils well; they're less effective in recessed lighting fixtures.

Always the skeptic, I researched around a little before buying a couple.  I came across this thread, which is pretty thorough.  I ordered some less than a week ago, and was told to wait 2-6 weeks for arrival, but they came in yesterday :thumbup:.  I must say, I'm pleasantly surprised by how well they work.  My carbon filter has been slacking lately (probably needs new carbon), so for the last week I've been smelling weed pretty strongly upon walking in the front door.  If I turn on the bulb in the entryway before leaving the house, when I return, I smell nothing.  Not just no weed, but...nothing.  Whichever room the light is in has pretty much no odor within an hour of it being turned on, including the bathroom.

I'm pretty sure these won't totally block out the smell of flowering ladies, so you should still use a scrubber.  They don't vacuum smells out of the air or anything.  Despite that, they're plenty effective at covering stray odors, including (but not limited to) smoked weed and cat feces.  You can still smell weed while you're smoking it, food while it's being cooked, etc., but it goes away rather quickly.

I thought this kind of ingenuity would be pretty valuable to other weederites.

P.S.  I know we have our fair share of Aussies here, and Fresh2 doesn't ship outside of North America.  I came across this link in my travels, so those of you in Oz can try them out.  I honestly don't know what's up with their lights, they're not made by Fresh2, but they probably work by the same principle.  I'd email lamps.com.au and make sure they're coated in titanium oxide.

Edited by God (10/17/10 06:15 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineNizzyJones
Fight Evil with Funk
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhat North of Normal
Re: Fresh2: Odor-Eliminating CFLs [Re: God]
    #488376 - 10/16/10 08:41 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

RVF sells these so you might want to get rid of those links to non-sponsors.

InvisibleGod
Yahweh

Re: Fresh2: Odor-Eliminating CFLs [Re: NizzyJones]
    #488416 - 10/16/10 12:27 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

No, that would be ridiculous.  I linked to the actual manufacturer of the bulb, which is obviously fine, and I linked to an Australian site that sells a different bulb than the one RVF sells (not the Fresh2), which is also, obviously, allowed.

Of course, it is worth noting that one of Growery's sponsors, RVF Garden Supply, also sells Fresh2 bulbs individually.  They are significantly more expensive at $17 apiece, but if you want to support a sponsor, here's a link.

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
    #488417 - 10/16/10 12:35 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Looks like God is fair to all.:rofl2:

:getstoned:

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever sence.

InvisibleGod
Yahweh

Re: Fresh2: Odor-Eliminating CFLs [Re: KaptKid]
    #488428 - 10/16/10 12:59 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

:shrug: I didn't even know RVF sold them.  But they are a sponsor, so they should be mentioned.  However, since they cost nearly twice as much there as they do from the manufacturer, I think it's reasonable to provide better sources, instead of pretending the sponsor is the only one who has them.

Offlinelifemaker
Stranger
    #488438 - 10/16/10 01:45 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

very interesting

will definately consider..

are these decent grow lights? they dont seem very expensive to me, considering the handy side effect

so they work better with a better draft/air exchange? that can only inspire you to improve that aspect of your grow, i like

InvisibleGod
Yahweh

Re: Fresh2: Odor-Eliminating CFLs [Re: lifemaker]
    #488443 - 10/16/10 01:52 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

They are 23W CFLs, so they could be used as grow lights, but you'd need a bunch, which would be very expensive.  Also, they're only made in the 2700K range, so you might want a broader spectrum.

Again, these are not intended to keep your grow from smelling, they're more for removing smoke smell and the like.

OfflineNizzyJones
Fight Evil with Funk
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhat North of Normal
    #488734 - 10/17/10 08:59 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

God said:
:shrug: I didn't even know RVF sold them.  But they are a sponsor, so they should be mentioned.  However, since they cost nearly twice as much there as they do from the manufacturer, I think it's reasonable to provide better sources, instead of pretending the sponsor is the only one who has them.

:rules:

It's not about what's reasonable :wink: It's about respecting the rules of the forum and the sponsors that pay the bill. That said it's fine to mention other vendors, you're just not allowed to hyperlink them :shrug:

InvisibleGod
Yahweh

Re: Fresh2: Odor-Eliminating CFLs [Re: NizzyJones]
    #488891 - 10/17/10 03:04 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I'm not trying to be rude here, but did you read my first response to you?  Did you click on the links I provided in the OP?  The first link is a thread at icmag.com, which sells nothing; the second is to a product not sold by a sponsor, which requires no explanation.  There are no other links in the thread.  The only other sites even mentioned are Fresh2, the company that makes the bulb, and should be brought up, and Amazon, both of which fit into your "mention, don't link" suggestion.  So, even by your own standards, I haven't broken a rule.  Why are you hassling so?

When I found out that RVF sells them for 2x as much as the rest of the world, I still provided a link to their site, but only because they're a sponsor, and I appreciate that they help keep this community afloat.  But it would be unfair and misleading to said community to only provide the expensive link just because they're sponsors.

I know that by storing every nuance of the rules in your brain, you're only trying to help, but all it's done here is clutter up an otherwise potentially worthwhile discussion with irrelevant chatter.  Please contribute to the thread (which is about the efficacy and use of odor-eliminating CFLs, not the site's rules) in a more constructive way, or not at all.

Has anyone else used these bulbs to success?  I've been finding them quite handy; I turn one on whenever I start smoking.

Offlinegoldennic007
Balanced
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ideal realitY
    #498679 - 11/16/10 07:05 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

God, again you are providing impeccable, perfectly applicable information.  i needed this testimony and suggestion!  :thumbup:

--------------------
Amsterdam Honeymoon:rave:

Offlinejkell
Midnight toker

Loc: Don' worry bout it
Re: Fresh2: Odor-Eliminating CFLs [Re: goldennic007]
    #498840 - 11/17/10 01:45 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Seems like a good idea to pop a couple of these in the grow room as light supplement /odor control supplement. Great post God :thumbup:

InvisibleGod
Yahweh

Re: Fresh2: Odor-Eliminating CFLs [Re: jkell]
    #498849 - 11/17/10 02:09 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

:lol: thanks nic, I was hoping someone would find this useful.

jkell, that might work great, but I haven't tried it.  I just use them as lighting near the exit to my home and in the room I smoke in.

I'd expect them to be, as you said, only useful as a supplemental odor control for a grow, and only when lights are on.  So you'd need a carbon scrubber anyway, if only for night time, but if you have one, you don't need anything else.  So a $10 bulb would be better used somewhere else. :shrug: That was my thought process on it, anyway.
They might work for a 24-hours-on veg/autoflower room?  I don't know, I'm inclined to think that air is pulled through a grow room too quickly for them to have much of an odor-reducing effect.  Basically, I'm saying you should do an experiment and let us know! :wink:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules