Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinewasteland
Stranger
I don't have all the details, but I'd like to know...
    #485612 - 10/06/10 05:10 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

...If someone might know what's going on here.

I've started a few plants from seed. The first plant got killed from some bad advice (fans do not strengthen young plants... THEY BREAK THEM!) and a few theoretical practices seem to be finishing off the survivors... I tried fish oil to boost nutrients, but the plants I did that to have shriveled stems, moist, rich and green, but still they seem withered.

I know I don't have all the details you might want, but I don't even know the ph of my water (filtered tap). I've been trying to keep them sustained with a few hours of genuine sunlight, and most of the day under a blacklight.

Is the fish oil the problem? (each plant probably got a couple teaspoons on it, and in it's soil.)

edit-the soil is an offbrand miracle grow.

Edited by wasteland (10/06/10 05:15 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleT-Rex
Herbsman
Male User Gallery

Loc: Devils Marbles Flag
Re: I don't have all the details, but I'd like to know... [Re: wasteland]
    #485616 - 10/06/10 05:20 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Depending on how old they are and how much you used, the nutes could be a factor, but why are you using a blacklight? I would suggest changing those to CFL's or even just a standard fluro tube, I've never heard of anyone using blacklights before.

And a fan can be very beneficial to your plants, but as you said the air force can be a bit much for seedlings, aim the fan away from the plants, so it's circulating the air, but not blowing directly onto the plants.

Could you get a pic up?

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #485617 - 10/06/10 05:21 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

The first plant got killed from some bad advice (fans do not strengthen young plants... THEY BREAK THEM!)

No, fans do strengthen stems.

Quote:

but I don't even know the ph of my water (filtered tap)

Problem #1 right here, most tap water is pretty alkaline which is not good.  Second, by filtered if you mean softened, that's another problem.  If it's just passing through a charcoal filter you're ok.  Water softeners displace mineral deposits using sodium which is death to your plants.  If you have a water softener hooked up in your house you'll need to find some other way to get water.

Quote:

I've been trying to keep them sustained with a few hours of genuine sunlight, and most of the day under a blacklight.

Problem #2.  Blacklights are useless, I don't know where you picked up to use a blacklight, but it offers nothing to your plants (which explains why they're shriveling up and dying).  Spend the 15-20 bucks and buy a shop light, or some other form of fluro lighting.  A few hours of sunlight a day isn't going to cut it, they need at least 18 hours of usable light to stay in the veg stage.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Offlinewasteland
Stranger
Re: I don't have all the details, but I'd like to know... [Re: coda]
    #487649 - 10/13/10 04:38 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I really wish I had logged on here sooner.

They're dead now... I've been trying to recover the now-hopelessly-lifeless-and-turning-grey plants and neglected to consider until too late that I could get a working light. I've got a few in germination that I was dumb enough to try to experiment with submersion in their germination phase (planting about five inches into the soil instead of the usual one, upside-down placed when sprouting occured... I'm not really sure if it helps, but I like to tinker with things) and I was wondering if I may have just gone too far, or does a plant under soil still need a lot of sunlight?

Hope that wasn't too much of a rant.

InvisibleMR.HEADY
PorchMonkey
 User Gallery

Loc: Toothless acres . West Vi...
    #487742 - 10/13/10 08:54 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Is this a puppet account or is he being serious? Please tell me its a puppet trolling:cuteshit:

--------------------
[quote]FarBeyondDriven said:
Anybody ever tell you you're the result of a broken prophylactic in the back seat of a 74 Mercury?[/quote]

OfflineInbred_gimp
Herb Connesuir
Male User Gallery

Loc: Beyond the wall of sleep
Re: I don't have all the details, but I'd like to know... [Re: MR.HEADY]
    #487800 - 10/13/10 10:28 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

problems probably the miracle grow soil. eww

--------------------

OfflineInbred_gimp
Herb Connesuir
Male User Gallery

Loc: Beyond the wall of sleep
Re: I don't have all the details, but I'd like to know... [Re: Inbred_gimp]
    #487845 - 10/14/10 04:39 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

if the fans were too close to the baby seedlings it could of been drying them out quicker than the roots could take up water?

--------------------

Offlinemuse42
Zomberrific

Loc: West Coast
Re: I don't have all the details, but I'd like to know... [Re: Inbred_gimp]
    #493879 - 10/31/10 03:17 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

The problem is you did not research enough if at all before you started.  Tinker away

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies