Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinejellyfish

How long is too long?
    #29884 - 05/14/08 08:11 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

How long can you keep a plant in veg before flowering? I imagine that flowering a 2 year old plant might yield less but when does it actually become detrimental.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinejust me
GreenThumb
Male

Loc: MO/TX/FL/HI
Re: How long is too long? [Re: jellyfish]
    #29931 - 05/14/08 08:41 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

ummmm, i know you can keep a mum alive for 10years +, and if youre not takin clones off her and just letting her get huge, i imagine you could flower her with success after a few years...:shrug:

--------------------

-and for all your ETHNO SEEDS needs come see us @ www.freeseedring.nl

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: How long is too long? [Re: just me]
    #30029 - 05/14/08 10:15 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

there really is no such thing as too long in veg, as long as you keep replacing the soil and trimming the roots the plant will survive for many years.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Offlinejust me
GreenThumb
Male

Re: How long is too long? [Re: coda]
    #30096 - 05/14/08 10:45 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

bonsai!!!

but hes askin when is too long since shes been in veg to be able to flower her and it be worth a flip.

like i said, if hes not takin clones off her, and bonsai'ing her, he can grow her HUGE and then flower her with HUGE results...

i tink thats what hes askin:shrug:

--------------------

OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

Loc: PNW
    #30720 - 05/15/08 02:18 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

The only problem you'll have is if it outgrows your light, or you could turn it into a fucking 20 foot monster outdoor.

Offlinejellyfish

Re: How long is too long? [Re: DungenessDank]
    #30806 - 05/15/08 04:21 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah I thought it might not make as many buds or buds that are as good if it's old. Why do you have to trim the roots? Just to keep the plant from needing bigger and bigger pots?

Offlinejust me
GreenThumb
Male

#30873 - 05/15/08 05:07 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

thats more if youre just keepin the plant as a mother to take clones from. you want to keep her just big enough to get your clones, and not be a huge plant taking up a buncha space...

if youre tryin to get maximum yield dont trim your roots, or (bonsai) your plant

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #30978 - 05/15/08 06:20 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

You'll need to trim your roots for another reason besides bonsai. Eventually a plant left in a pot too long will become rootbound. There are two solutions to that, trim the roots and put new medium underneath for the roots to grow, or, repot in a larger container.

If you're planning on keeping a mom around for a long time eventually you will have to trim her roots. I think a plant can become rootbound in a 5 gallon pot in about 9 months. So, while it's not something you have to do a lot (nor really want to), you will eventually have to do it if you want to keep your plant alive for a long while.

--------------------

Offlinejust me
GreenThumb
Male

#31241 - 05/15/08 10:08 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

good point!

but say the plants not necissarily a mum.

he wants to know how big and how old it can get and still flower acordingly. would the best solution then be to continue transfering into bigger pots so as not to limit or hinder growth at all?

would cutting/trimming roots affect foliar growth, and flowering mass?

--------------------

Offlinejellyfish

#32269 - 05/17/08 10:35 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Basically my friend took a clone from an awesome grow op he went to in like march. He had the clone under one single cfl light while his other plant flowered under 250 hps and now that his flowering plant is done he has moved his clone to fluorescent lamps and it's growing very quickly. Problem is, he only flowers once a year because his closet gets too hot even with ventilation so he does it every winter time. He is also going on vacation so he's going to set something up to automatically water the plant. He just wants to know, come November if it's going to be worth flowering that beast since his last grow was amazing and he wants premium bud like that again. He plans on trimming the plant and it's roots before his vacation but that's going to create more branching and therefore tons of tiny buds right?

One more question, let's say you were flowering a really bushy plant, would pulling off all the little buds at the bottom cause the top ones to grow bigger? Or will you just be killing potential smoke?

Edited by jellyfish (05/17/08 10:36 AM)

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #33202 - 05/18/08 06:24 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

here' this may help a little....

Quote:

Depending on the strain and the growing environment, the 'topped' plant may produce two small top colas instead of two big ones. Also, each strain has a threshold for bud production that cannot be improved upon because it is a genetically predetermined factor. On the other hand, some plants when fully grown without topping do not reach their threshold. The strain Blueberry is a good example of this. If you grow Blueberry without topping you won't achieve maximum bud production from that plant, but if you top the Blueberry, you will. Other strains aren't so flexible and the two top colas will simply share the same volume of bud that a single cola would have produced on the same strain.

it's really dependent on the strain so it looks like you won't get a straight answer. However keep in mind that you can always prune back your budsites as much as you want. So, you can keep you mom as long as you want, but you may need to trim some of the budsites off before you flower.

--------------------

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
    #48393 - 06/01/08 10:44 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

I once veg'd 2 plants for 5 months indoors then moved them outside in the early spring (march) they had 8 months of Veg time before they flowered and 2 weeks into flowering they were 9 feet tall with hundreds of big budsites, I mean these were gonna yield 1 or 2 pounds a piece. But 2 weeks later when i visited i found big holes in the ground... I cried. but back to your question I really don't think it matters how long as long as you have the root space and control the variables (pests, disease, mold, etc...)

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

OfflineIamasmoker
imachavel
Male
Loc: Florida
Re: How long is too long? [Re: Inverted]
    #48572 - 06/02/08 01:57 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

wait a minute, is what he's implying that the bigger it gets the worst buds there'll be?

hold a minute man, take a mango tree, the bigger and older it gets, the more mangoes it produces, more quickly, and better mangoes. the fact that the mango tree is so big gives it an advantage that since it has so much energy, big trunk, lots of leaves, big roots, it can easily makes mangoes without exerting energy.

since when would an older plant give WORST buds and LESS buds? is this a frequent fact of cannabis?

I'd like to see that 20 foot tall cannabis plant in the marijuana pictures forum flower, I'll bet that guy could get fucking 100 pounds off that plant! LOL, how is THAT a drawback? imagine if cannabis was legal, you put 10 different plants in a greenhouse, keep the light at 16/8 for 4 years, have a few trees, then let them get whatever light they want, they start to flower, JESUS CHRIST, you'd have bud for years if you had enough containers! and you'd need an axe to make clones that would need water once or twice the first month it was rooting or something
LOL! I don't see the disadvantage bro!

--------------------
my rating of flavoraid:

b*tch*s shouldn't call me a retard..

and this shit... "I like to drink tea, lift weights, punch shit, have sex with girls"....

is gay as f**k

OfflineIamasmoker
imachavel
Male
Loc: Florida
Re: How long is too long? [Re: Inverted]
    #48574 - 06/02/08 02:03 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Inverted said:
I once veg'd 2 plants for 5 months indoors then moved them outside in the early spring (march) they had 8 months of Veg time before they flowered and 2 weeks into flowering they were 9 feet tall with hundreds of big budsites, I mean these were gonna yield 1 or 2 pounds a piece. But 2 weeks later when i visited i found big holes in the ground... I cried. but back to your question I really don't think it matters how long as long as you have the root space and control the variables (pests, disease, mold, etc...)

lol, that same shit happened to me, I had these 2 bubblegum clones, they were only a foot tall, but they weren't getting enough light or something. Let me tell you, the bud on these things was bad ass. I moved them outside as they were almost dead, after a month they were green with new branches, leaves all over, healthy looking plants and shit. I left on vacation knowing it was scheduled to rain here for a week so I figured they'd get enough water even if it only rained once. I came back and they were gone!

fuck though, that's not as bad as two 9 foot plants though, geez! those fucking outdoor spots can suck.

--------------------
my rating of flavoraid:

b*tch*s shouldn't call me a retard..

and this shit... "I like to drink tea, lift weights, punch shit, have sex with girls"....

is gay as f**k

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals