Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineplambe
Stranger
 User Gallery

A question about ventilation
    #484360 - 10/02/10 11:15 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I decided to buy a sheet of carbon filter for kitchen hoods and use a layer of it between my exhaust fans (2 pc fans, I know they are not good for this purpose) and the hole in the back of the wardrobe I use.

Having the carbon filter installed this way elevated the temperatures in my grow room with around 10 degrees celsius (I expected some elevation but 10 degrees wow). All the designs of carbon scrubbers I've seen on the net have the carbon at a distance from the fan leaving some empty space. Does my lack of such empty space contribute to my elevated temperatures or is it only that pc fans are weak?

--------------------
:wayshegoes:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: A question about ventilation [Re: plambe]
    #484363 - 10/02/10 11:24 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Probably a little bit of both.  What's the strength of the PC fans?  They can be pretty strong.  Anytime you add a layer of resistance to your fan you will reduce its effectiveness.  This is true for inline and squirrel cage fans too, any time you add a filter to them their output is dropped a bit due to having to pull air through the filter.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Offlineplambe
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: A question about ventilation [Re: coda]
    #484374 - 10/02/10 12:15 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

My pc fans' static pressure is 0.07 inches water. Similar models from the same manufacturer go up to 0.22 inches water.

Should I consider 0.07 inches water to be a weak fan?

My grow area is very small so without the carbon filter (which is not totally necessary) everything is fine.

I've been searching for centrifugal fans in my area for a month now and today I finally found a smaller (less than half a kilowatt) one. It had two problems - it was DC 24V 1.43A (and I don't have a 24V DC source) and it has a small rectangular output that doesn't fit my big circular holes. It was made of plastic and had absolutely no other technical information - like static pressure or cfm. Can you tell me if this kind of fan would be sufficient for my 22 cubic feet grow box and my diy carbon scrubber (that I might make for it)?

--------------------
:wayshegoes:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds