Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Cultivation Supplies, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleT-Rex
Herbsman
Male User Gallery

Loc: Devils Marbles Flag
MY 400W HPS DIED, AND THEN CAME BACK TO LIFE
    #483634 - 09/30/10 03:40 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Went into the box today and found that my HPS was off! I checked everything and then double checked but I can't think of what it was. The ballast was plugged into a heavy duty powerbox so I know it wasn't a power surge, but mum fucked around with the fuse box today and the power was temporarily turned off, before being turned back on about 2hours later, could this have fucked the light?

I'm worried the few hours my plants spent in darkness with flip them to flowering, could this happen? I made sure as soon as I found them in darkness I put them outside so they were in light while I made a temp fix.

As soon as I found the HPS was off I ran into the house and jerry rigged 160W of CFL's onto a piece of wood in a 2x3 layout, its a very temp job but it should be fine till I figure out this HPS thing. Photos of my shituation soon.

Somebody help me out!
:kingcrankey:

--------------------

Edited by T-Rex (09/30/10 11:21 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: MY 400W HPS DIED! [Re: T-Rex]
    #483636 - 09/30/10 05:00 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Nah, a few hours isn't gonna kick em into flowering.

The power being cut off then going back on shouldn't have fucked with your light. Timers pretty much work the same way. They just cut off power to the ballast then resupply it hours later. Some ballasts have one of those resettable fuses on them check for one of those.

Now that I think about it plug something into the socket the ballast was in and check for power there. (if the cfl's aren't already in it)

Without seeing it that is about all I can come up with other then the obvious like checking fuses or circuit breakers. (which you said you already checked)

Check the bulb, if you have another bulb put that in and check the ballasts that way.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

InvisibleT-Rex
Herbsman
Male User Gallery

Re: MY 400W HPS DIED! [Re: Magash]
    #483640 - 09/30/10 06:00 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks for the reply! The powerboard the Ballast was plugged into had the fan and another small light plugged into it and all those were working fine. How would I check the bulb? I don't have another ballast or another bulb which sucks but is there a way to test the bulb without having another?

--------------------

InvisibleT-Rex
Herbsman
Male User Gallery

#483654 - 09/30/10 07:58 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

My 160W CFL setup, I'm gonna contact the supplier tomorrow and hopefully sort this out.

Also, is there a way to check the bulb to see if its blown? Like a physical indicator? I don't have the equipment to test it out :sad:

--------------------

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Loc: Bumfuckt Egypt
    #483670 - 09/30/10 08:37 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

In my (in)experience, I think you should be fine vegging for a bit with those. You might wanna move them closer however. And maybe try to put the board horizontally if possible, because IIRC CFLs are more efficient horizontally. :smile:

Looks like a fine temporary solution though. Don't worry too much.

--------------------
Of course it's happening inside your head.
Why should that mean it isn't real?

InvisibleT-Rex
Herbsman
Male User Gallery

Re: MY 400W HPS DIED! [Re: RasJeph]
    #483673 - 09/30/10 08:41 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks for the advice man, I'm gonna try to build something a bit better tomorrow but I didn't know that about the CFL's so thanks!:grin:

I'm so fucking sick of all the hassle I've gone through to get this grow up and running, and now that everything was getting good my light craps out :sad: I can't afford another for a few weeks so this is going to have to do if I can't get it working or exchanged :thumbdown::sad:

--------------------

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Loc: Bumfuckt Egypt
    #483674 - 09/30/10 08:42 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

It'll totally be worth it in the end man :thumbup:

Theres nothing like smoking on bud that you grew yourself. If you've already got passion for lovely Mary it just takes it that extra step haha.

--------------------
Of course it's happening inside your head.
Why should that mean it isn't real?

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #483725 - 09/30/10 12:24 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Well if you have a grow shop near you they will usually let you check out your ballast and your bulb. Just bring both in and kind of sound like your gonna buy as soon as you find out which is out. Then come in and buy it when you have the money. Most shops can also do repairs and if you go in wanting to check it out they may just fix the problem while your there. You end up buying a capacitor or some cheap part instead of a bulb or worse a ballast.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

InvisibleT-Rex
Herbsman
Male User Gallery

Re: MY 400W HPS DIED! [Re: Magash]
    #483891 - 09/30/10 08:54 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks heaps Mag, hopefully I can sort this out asap

--------------------

InvisibleLaysthepipe
Vivi Sex Symbol
 User Gallery

Loc: KOREA
    #483897 - 09/30/10 09:06 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

if it were an htg supply light they have amazing customer service and let me return mine. Mine shit out on me in like 4 days of using it and i was unhappy about that.

It was weird though what mine was doing was making the light flicker blue as if it could not fully ignite it to orange.

--------------------
:advisory:

“If you want to find out who your real friends are, sink the ship. The first ones to jump aren’t your friends.” — Marilyn Manson

This isn't the correct place to confront me on anything.

Forum full of dead stars, and a necro I called Coma White

InvisibleT-Rex
Herbsman
Male User Gallery

Re: MY 400W HPS DIED! [Re: Laysthepipe]
    #483940 - 09/30/10 11:23 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Praise the fucking lord because I went into the box and plugged in the 400 just to see if leaving it unplugged and and off over night would help, and it started up as soon as I turned it on
:awedance:

Best thing that could happen ever!

--------------------

OfflineShrew
Knife Hitter
Male

#483954 - 10/01/10 01:02 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

some ballasts and/or bulbs do need time to cool down fully before re-igniting. my HTG 400 HPS will just sit there and buzz if it hasn't cooled down long enough... but my odd brand old ass 400 hps doesn't need nearly as much time. If you only have a HPS bulb too you could leave those CFL's in there some how and it'll definitely even out the spectrum a bit (more light is more light).

--------------------

InvisibleT-Rex
Herbsman
Male User Gallery

Re: MY 400W HPS DIED! [Re: Shrew]
    #483959 - 10/01/10 02:00 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Yea I was going to put them in with the 400 at some stage I was just too lazy to actually start, I guess this is a good reason to finally get off my ass and build a frame :lol:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Cultivation Supplies, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies