Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineplambe
Stranger
 User Gallery
indoor 250 watt hps soil - himalaya gold or kush
    #475020 - 09/10/10 09:58 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Afoaf wanted to post here as anonymous as possible so he's using my account :smile:

From this line on until this thread gets abandoned or completed I means the foaf.

I had 13 clones of which only 1 survived. They were himalayan gold and kush mixed so I never knew which one is what. Btw this is my first grow sort of... I've helped other people that don't read as much as I do so much that I don't feel like that's my first grow.

I suppose only 1 survived because of bad soil and/or poor conditions - there was still no artificial light for them. I had some second generation kush seeds around so I planted them near the only clone left.

My setup is (prices are for shops around where I live and not grow shops where everything is double or triple the price in normal shops):
1. a wardrobe (I bought it with white interior and was very happy for that) around 50cm x 80cm x 175.5cm (19" x 31" x 69") - around 45 euro.
2. a 250 watt hps lamp with all other stuff it needs to operate - don't know how much it costs exactly - afoaf gave it to me but it's around 50 euros with the bucket as a reflector :smile:
3. two computer fans - they are titan TFD-12025SL12X (rated 53.4 cfm on the manufacturer's site) - 10 euro both.
4. a fan/heater with the heat off - cheap but I don't even know how it appeared in my home so I have no idea how cheap exactly it is.
5. a thermometer with two temperature sensors and one for rh - around 15 euro.
6. some other not so important stuff.

Now the pics (from 10th September):

My fans, bringing fresh air in:

My ballast (will get rewired and out of the wardrobe):

My igniter (same as above):

The top of the bucket (needs some improvements which are planned):

My fan/heater:

The thermometer (the temp where it says "in" usually is around 32-33 degrees celsius when the doors are closed, it gets cooler when I open them):

The only surviver:

My timer set for 15 hours of lighting:

Update from 13th September:

Another update from 13th September (rewired my hps lamp so that the ballast and igniter are out of the grow box):

15th September.
Here's a pic of the grow box without so much cables hanging around:

Trying some basic LST. I tied the plant a few hours ago.

Because I have some extra space I decided to see how a salvia would feel in there:

One more thing - I've set up three timers for the following:
1. The light - since yesterday its timer is set to 18 hours on and 6 off;
2. The fan/heater which moves air inside the box - 12 minutes on and 12 minutes off alternating during the light phase; 12 minutes on and 48 minutes off alternating during the dark phase (to let me sleep).
3. The air intake fans - during the light phase all the time on, during the dark phase - 12 minutes on and 12 minutes off alternating.

I made some other changes after taking the previous pics:

Also I tied my clone more tightly:

As you can see there are some seedlings. I will probably kill them in a few days... They're not the best genetics, being from a kush female (outdoor grow, feminized) crossed with some other first quality non-feminized outdoor grown strains (like big bud, leda uno and some others, I don't know exactly).

18th September
The LST attempt from 15th was unsuccessful as the plant was free of my wire the next morning. I removed the wire and left my plant free until a few hours ago. Now I think my girl is less fragile and the wire is better placed.

I added temporarily a cactus in there. Also I've got 7 new clones that were cut yesterday and today dipped in auxin and put in soil. The two on the left looked very bad so I put some old weed bags with a lot of holes over them. Also they are behind the fan/heater which I removed for while taking this pic.

18th September, the morning after last update
Wooow my oldest clone almost outgrew my LST attempt for just 10 hours :smile: That's the growth I was hoping for :smile:

21st September
I now have a far better fan inside the grow box. Just watered the older clone for the third time and all new clones for the second. My salvia doesn't feel good in that room though... I'll give her a few more days to adjust and if she fails I'll move her to her old place.

One more thing from 21st (although technically I'm writing about it on the 22nd) - I had the thought that it's unnatural to have the air intake around the upper part of your grow box and the air outtake around the lower. Hot air tries to go upward and if I had only two holes - one near the top and one near the bottom air would flow by itself without fans (I think). The important part is - I reoriented my pc fans to work as air outtake. The immediate result - temperature drop from around 31-32 degrees celsius to 28-29 degrees celsius. I didn't expect such a huge difference :smile:

Edited by plambe (09/21/10 04:35 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCloud9
i don't feel, and it feels great

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: between here and there
Re: indoor 250 watt hps soil - himalaya gold or kush [Re: plambe]
    #475035 - 09/10/10 10:39 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

was that multiple plants in the same pot? and why 15 hours of light instead of 18? no air outtake?

--------------------
experienced psychotryptonaut shaman

OfflineShaggy420
Male

Re: indoor 250 watt hps soil - himalaya gold or kush [Re: Cloud9]
    #475058 - 09/10/10 11:43 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

ill probably be doing a 250w for my first grow so i love reading 250 grow logs:awesomenod:

--------------------

:Awemush::happyweed::fasted::happyweed::Awemush:

http://www.clear-uk.org/

Offlineplambe
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: indoor 250 watt hps soil - himalaya gold or kush [Re: Cloud9]
    #475155 - 09/10/10 02:54 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

@cloud9:
I got those freshly cut, dipped in auxin and in this pot together.

About the light cycle - the clones were used to around 13 hours of natural light. Also at first the lamp was in another wardrobe which had to be with lights off for the other 9 hours. I think of gradually increasing the length of the day in my box.

As for the air outtake - I thought I wouldn't need it. I am still not convinced I need it - I've got two 50 cubic feet per minute computer fans and 22 cubic feet grow box. The temperature outside the grow room is around 23-27 degrees celsius, so 32 inside sounds normal, and besides I'm going to get the ballast and the igniter outside the wardrobe, hoping this would help with the temperature. Can you tell me how many times the air in the grow box should be changed per minute (I mean the desirable ratio between the volume of the box and the volume of air the fan/fans move per minute)? Would there be any other reason I need more fans?

@trippy: I'll update this thread with pics hopefully at least once a week. I hope you'll enjoy it :smile:

--------------------
:wayshegoes:

OfflineShaggy420
Male

#475175 - 09/10/10 03:18 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

i look forward to it:awebig:

--------------------

Offlineplambe
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: indoor 250 watt hps soil - himalaya gold or kush [Re: Shaggy420]
    #476412 - 09/13/10 04:25 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I just took some pics and updated the main post with the most interesting.

--------------------

Offlineplambe
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #476448 - 09/13/10 09:23 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I just made another update to the main post. Finally I rewired my HPS lamp so that the ballast and igniter are outside the grow box.

--------------------

Offlineplambe
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #477518 - 09/15/10 01:08 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I just made an update to the main post.
Is the ventilation set up like I described in the end of the main post going to be good enough for my 22-23 cubic feet grow box?

OfflineDudeTron
 User Gallery

#477986 - 09/16/10 02:29 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I think I've read that one air exchange every 5 minutes is fine for co2 replenishment and whatever other health.

That's generally not enough to combat heat though, but it sounds like you've got that under control.
Also I can't actually think of anything wrong with your positive pressure environment except that it's harder to control odor in that situation... which is probably why it's less common

She looks good though man... I'm definitely a believer in the training too.  It's just too much fun messing with your girls.

Also good luck with the salvia... I have one that I've never been able to grow "right"... It's gotten taller but never been healthy.  I know for sure they NEED higher humidty than cannabis, and definitely higher than your 44... you could try misting it occasionally to see if it perks up and stabilizes.

Offlineplambe
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: indoor 250 watt hps soil - himalaya gold or kush [Re: DudeTron]
    #478637 - 09/17/10 03:15 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

About combating heat - I think I might still have a problem with that. I'm adjusting things these days to try to lower the temps... I burned two leafs of this plant because of not heightening the light.

Would it be better if I lowered the pressure (if I bought air outtake fans with higher cfm than those for intake)? I'm planning on using an air ionizer (I'm not sure if I translated that right - it's a thing that uses high voltage to make sparks through the air creating ozone) and am not sure if it's going to be enough to keep the smell from leaving the grow box. If it's not enough I plan on making a DIY carbon filter with noise reduction for the air outtake.

The foaf that gave me the light said he used one such ionizer and had no problem with the smell.

That plant is growing in hours. That's definitely my first grow because I can't stop watching her :smile: it's like if I'm in love :smile:

About my salvia - it's used to even lower humidity. The problem with this one is lack of nutrients. I've got 2 others growing in pots on the balcony of the building I live in. They looked pathetic compared to this one and I gave them a bit of nutrients and now they are growing shoots from every node I can see :smile: Nevertheless every salvia I grow here has the tips of its leafs drying a bit. I almost never get perfectly healthy leafs on a salvia.

--------------------

Offlineplambe
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #478640 - 09/17/10 03:18 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Oooo got too stoned and forgot to mention - I've got 7 new clones without any roots, just dipped in auxin and put directly in soil.

Pics are coming in a few minutes.

--------------------

Offlinemellowparty
Ribosome user

Loc: 3'-UTR Flag
    #479116 - 09/18/10 02:05 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

TrippyStoner420 said:
i look forward to it:awebig:

Are you ShroomerRoss?

--------------------

OfflineShaggy420
Male

Re: indoor 250 watt hps soil - himalaya gold or kush [Re: mellowparty]
    #479206 - 09/18/10 04:39 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

sweet

--------------------

Edited by Shaggy420 (01/12/11 04:39 PM)

Offlineplambe
Stranger
 User Gallery

#479971 - 09/20/10 04:10 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Main post updated

--------------------

Offlinepunkrocker292004
Stranger

#479998 - 09/20/10 04:37 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

FAIL

--------------------
on a long enough timeline the survival rate for everyone drops to zero-tyler durden

MHRB

Offlineplambe
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: indoor 250 watt hps soil - himalaya gold or kush [Re: punkrocker292004]
    #480394 - 09/21/10 04:42 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I had the thought that it's unnatural to have the air intake around the upper part of your grow box and the air outtake around the lower. Hot air tries to go upward and if I had only two holes - one near the top and one near the bottom air would flow by itself without fans (I think). The important part is - I reoriented my pc fans to work as air outtake. The immediate result - temperature drop from around 31-32 degrees celsius to 28-29 degrees celsius. I didn't expect such a huge difference :smile:

Also I added this info in the main post.

What fail?

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies