Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinefungi
 User Gallery

Loc: Silicon Sizzle, CA USA Flag
Any point in Soil?
    #460148 - 08/14/10 03:00 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Ok so everyone said soil grow; so I did one. What I've noticed even with Fox Farms Ocean Forest soil is that unless I add nutrients to the water, the plants don't grow as much. I cycle with water, but if I do not add nutrients to the water the plants suffer.

Which brings me to my point; even if I'm using organic nutrients(which most likely only 80% organic anyway)what is the point of using soil?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineimpgl

Re: Any point in Soil? [Re: fungi]
    #460176 - 08/14/10 04:08 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

its pretty easy and simple plus the initial investment is low

--------------------

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
Re: Any point in Soil? [Re: impgl]
    #460218 - 08/14/10 05:53 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Almost $500 in FF/OF to fill 100, 2 gal bags.
Thats a lot of work filling bags. Plus you still need the nutes.

Been looking into hydro, pumps do all the work(or most) and you don't have to haul off all that used soil.

Need to get a chiller and a few other things.Then I'm ready to try hydro.

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever sence.

Edited by KaptKid (08/14/10 05:54 PM)

Offlinekyuzo
Stranger Than Fiction

Re: Any point in Soil? [Re: KaptKid]
    #460227 - 08/14/10 06:14 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

though i have never grown pot, with plants in general, there tends to be a huge human element involved with cultivation.  Where one grower might find him/herself inclined to growing in certain conditions that other growers simply have no luck with, or find needlessly complicated.

One example with this is a species of Scaphosepalum, that i recently picked up a few specimens of. 

The orchid is generally cultivated in a plastic mesh-pot/w spagnum moss.  For me this lead to nothing but root rot, and so forced me to start experimenting with various soil mixes, containers, and style of growing.  And after much trial and error, and a few dead plants, I finally settled on using a passive hydropinics set-up making use of plain aquarium gravel (leca and perlite wicked too effectively) and a shallow container that only keeps the water line a few inches under the plant

non-frat version: different strokes for different folks

OfflineSmOakland
Now with Grow!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oaktown to NOLA
Re: Any point in Soil? [Re: fungi]
    #460647 - 08/15/10 12:33 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

KaptKid said:

You should have bought kelp meal, bat guano, worm castings, perlite, peat moss, etc and rented/borrowed a cement mixer.  Would have been much cheaper.

Quote:

fungi said:
Ok so everyone said soil grow; so I did one. What I've noticed even with Fox Farms Ocean Forest soil is that unless I add nutrients to the water, the plants don't grow as much. I cycle with water, but if I do not add nutrients to the water the plants suffer.

Which brings me to my point; even if I'm using organic nutrients(which most likely only 80% organic anyway)what is the point of using soil?

I wondered this too.  Why would anyone grow PLANTS in SOIL?  What is the point of using soil?

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #460649 - 08/15/10 12:34 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

KaptKid said:

Been looking into hydro, pumps do all the work(or most) and you don't have to haul off all that used soil.

You know that chillers cost almost $500 just by themselves right? plus then you need to have an external location for the heat exchanger requiring you to cut holes in your walls or whatever.

--------------------

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
Re: Any point in Soil? [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #460716 - 08/15/10 01:39 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:
Quote:

KaptKid said:

You know that chillers cost almost $500 just by themselves right? plus then you need to have an external location for the heat exchanger requiring you to cut holes in your walls or whatever.

I look at some around $800. Don't know much about how they work. Need to google when I get back.

Have also been thinking about using about using a large refrigerator with a 40 gal tank to chill a 60 gal reservoir.

What do you think?

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever sence.

Offlinekyuzo
Stranger Than Fiction

#460723 - 08/15/10 01:53 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

many people modify office water coolers to chill small vivariums and aquariums when they are housing cold water species.  Also, I saw one person use a fridge for a similar application.  But in all of these the they only needed to chill their water a few degrees, and there wasn't a few hundred watts of HPS lighting heating the water.

So I doubt it will work

Quote:

KaptKid said:
Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:
Quote:

KaptKid said:

I look at some around $800. Don't know much about how they work. Need to google when I get back.

Have also been thinking about using about using a large refrigerator with a 40 gal tank to chill a 60 gal reservoir.

What do you think?

OfflineSmOakland
Now with Grow!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oaktown to NOLA
Re: Any point in Soil? [Re: kyuzo]
    #460732 - 08/15/10 02:25 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

It sounds like this "chiller" works in the same way that a refrigerator or A/C units work.  You have to understand that these devices do not "create cold", they remove heat through a process that involves the expanding and condensing of gasses.  My point is that you still need someplace to put the heat once you take it out of the water, and right into your grow space would not be good.

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Any point in Soil? [Re: SmOakland]
    #460924 - 08/15/10 07:19 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

SmOakland said:
It sounds like this "chiller" works in the same way that a refrigerator or A/C units work.  You have to understand that these devices do not "create cold", they remove heat through a process that involves the expanding and condensing of gasses.  My point is that you still need someplace to put the heat once you take it out of the water, and right into your grow space would not be good.

you're exactly right. Most of them come with enough tubing to have the heat release unit outside of your grow room, but then you still need to find a good space for that and it's a pile of extra work that I feel just isn't worth all the trouble

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom