Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineramshackle
Stranger
I'm a teapot User Gallery

My leaves got leprosy!
    #434525 - 06/17/10 07:53 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Soil Grow:
1. Are you growing from seed or clones? Cheap "skunk" seeds.
2. How old are your plants? 5-6 months
3. How tall are your plants? Approx 1.5ft, but trained to curl to the floor.
4. What size containers are they planted in? 1ft diameter pots
5. What is your soil mix? Nice quality potting mix.
6. How often do you water and what type of water do you use? Tap water. Whenever the soil is dry to the touch, perhaps 1-2x a week at most.
7. What is the pH of your water? Not sure.
8. What kind of fertilizer do you use and what is its NPK ratio? Have used blood n bone, fish emulsion and compost tea at varying stages. Don't know the NPK.
9. Do you foliar feed or spray your plants with anything? No.
10. What kind of lights do you use and how many watts combined? (HPS, MH, fluorescent, halogen, incandescent "plant lights") CFLs totaling around 100W.
11. How close are your lights to the plants? Couple of inches.
12. What size is your grow space in square feet? 6-8
13. What is the temperature and humidity in your grow space? About 15C/69%.
14. What is the pH of the soil? Don't know.
15. Have you noticed any insect activity in your grow space? Couple of ants and other little things but not an infestation.
16. How much experience do you have growing? First grow.

OK so to get the obvious out of the way: (I have only 2 female plants 3 weeks into flowering BTW)
a) Fertilizing could be better
b) Should be tracking the Ph
c) Lights are pretty pissweak (But I don't so much mind the slow progress)
d) It's ideally too cold and too humid, but I can't do much about this due to the location of the grow space unfortunately :frown:

They've been super healthy looking up until a few weeks ago when I noticed this strange thing - the skin seems to be peeling off my leaves! There also seems to be some tiny ass little black dots (they don't move so I assume they're not bugs but rolled up skin) I also noticed many of the medium aged leaves have only 3 prongs and don't know if that's normal. For reference, the newest leaves look perfectly normal, and the underside also looks normal. Many of the older leaves are drying up and falling off too. All medium aged leaves now look like this piece of shit, if not worse:

Look at this!

I looked through all the nutrient and other diagnosis posts but this just doesn't seem to match. Help me growerites, you're my only hope!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSmOakland
Now with Grow!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oaktown to NOLA
Re: My leaves got leprosy! [Re: ramshackle]
    #434621 - 06/18/10 12:10 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

That leaf looks very dark.  N overdose?  What are you feeding it now?  What brand is the potting mix (your mix might have some slow release nitrogen that has started messing with the plants)?  That is just my guess though I am no expert.

OfflineCrusty Ass Bastard
Pheno Hunting

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: My leaves got leprosy! [Re: SmOakland]
    #435154 - 06/19/10 12:23 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

When you have a mature plant started from seed, a general rule of thumb is:

New leaves, especially fans, should never have less blades than their immediate predecessors. A happy plant will throw out 7, 9, or even 11 fingers while a stressed one is likely to throw 5 or in your case 3 even if they threw 7 or 5 previously. There are a few exceptions, like 1 or 3 finger growth around bud sites late in flowering, but you get the idea.

You can overcome temp problems if your humidity is in order and vice versa, but with both out of range no advice you get here will really matter. If you can get electricity to it, you can get a heater or dehumidifier to it, just saying.

EDIT: I think you have multiple nutrients locked out and there is obviously an N problem like oakland said.

Your pH is likely around 7.5 or 8 w/ tap water. pH is logarithmic so 8 is 10 times more acidic than 7 and and 100 times more acidic than 6. Cannabis like 6.5~ in soil and what you're feeding it is a ninimum of 10 times more acidic than what it wants and could be as high as 50 times.

You can't grow the dank without knowing your pH.

Edited by Crusty Ass Bastard (06/21/10 07:47 AM)

Offlineramshackle
Stranger

Re: My leaves got leprosy! [Re: Crusty Ass Bastard]
    #435801 - 06/21/10 08:44 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks very much for the feedback guys!

So it's not a really specific problem, rather a systemic issue caused by the plant being generally unhappy about it's environment;
non-specific response to multiple factors?

The photo is a bit crap and does look darker than it really is. It may still be a bit high on the N, because I tend to get a bit over-enthusiastic about things - I haven't fed it for a couple weeks, but I've stopped now anyways. It didn't look nutrient burned at any rate.

The location is extremely difficult to get to, in fact it's probably in a really dumb spot for multiple reasons. So I don't really want to run heaters or dehumidifiers or anything like that where I can't be around regularly to check that the temp doesn't get out of hand or the dehumidifier doesn't overflow or some crazy ass shit that could be disastrous and not just for the plants, put it that way!

I think I'll just learn my lesson this time around, cut my losses, and just take them as far into flower as I can and deal with what I'm guessing will be a fairly small yield from unhappy mamas :frown: 

it's not all bad, after all, this has been a real experiment for me, ghetto style! I've spent as little as possible in terms of money and time doing this, so I consider it enough of a success to even get them to flower.

Next time around, I'll put a decent amount of time, thought, and cash into getting a proper setup, now I know what is really required.

Thanks once more.

Offlinemuse42
Zomberrific

Loc: West Coast
    #437853 - 06/25/10 09:30 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

On my first and only attempt I tried killing my plants in more than one way, and I thought the end results would not be that great. I was surprised at how tough the marijuana plant was and ended up with much more than I thought.  Good luck.

--------------------
It looks like it's going to be another Gravity Bong type day...

Offlinefungi
 User Gallery

Loc: Silicon Sizzle, CA USA Flag
Re: My leaves got leprosy! [Re: muse42]
    #438500 - 06/27/10 12:52 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Recommend either a water filter or go buy the filtered water at those stores for .30 a gallon.

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: My leaves got leprosy! [Re: fungi]
    #438522 - 06/27/10 02:22 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

It's thrips I've seen this a thousand times. Flip the leaf over and look at the bottom because I know from that pic that it's thrips.

Here is a pic of thrip damage look familiar? :wink:

and back off the nitrogen :tongue:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlineramshackle
Stranger

Re: My leaves got leprosy! [Re: Magash]
    #439748 - 06/30/10 01:16 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks for more input dudes!

I'm not so sure about the thrips theory... I looked high and low to see if I could find insects or fungus that might've been the culprit but failed to turn anything up. Do the buggers come out at night or something?

The only reason I don't have a water filter is because the water quality in my area is good. I used to demand filtered only because I used to live in an area where the water was noticeably chlorinated, but not any more. Might look into that suggestion for the future though, thanks.

They're still trooping along, still look behind where they should be in progress but the stink is increasing as are all the little tiny trim leaves around the bud sites, and visible crystals! Going to continue pushing it as far as I can...

OfflineDieselB
High Watt Closet
Male

#439870 - 06/30/10 10:32 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I can tell you this, in my short time on this site, I have learned this: If it comes from Magash, it's probably a little stronger than a theory, this guy knows whats goin' on. When he gives you advice, take it.

--------------------
If you ain't smokin' dro, you're smokin' reggie. :shrug:

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #439916 - 06/30/10 12:10 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

The reason you don't see the thrips (and that is what the problem is nothing else causes the damage like what your showing on the leaf) is in the larva stage they are about the same size as spider mites. The black dots are thrip shit and if the plant is in budding and you get them they cause mold in the buds.

On the left blade I circled a thrip in your picture. They will be tan in color and have a longer look to them then spider mites. Mites are round looking while these are cigar shape.

Find a really damages leaf and blow on it lightly usually that will get them moving enough to see with your eye.

They most common breed in the soil so look there too

Offlineramshackle
Stranger

Re: My leaves got leprosy! [Re: Magash]
    #440328 - 07/01/10 05:49 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Shit! Sorry to be a doubter, Magash... and thanks for your patience with my obvious noobery.

Having read up on a bunch of material, it seems there are many options.

I think I will try soaking 100% of the surface area with some pyrethrum or "neem oil" spray, mulching over the soil with newspaper and wrapping some aluminium foil around the base of the stems, and getting some yellow/blue fly paper to hang around the plants. I've read this is supposed to kill the youngsters in the soil and stop the flightless buggers from being able to crawl onto the plant, and attract the adults away from the leaves and trap them.

Does this sound like an effective solution? Is pyrethrum a safe product to use? I hope it's not too late to eradicate them before harvest. Ewww.... smoking bug shit :P

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #440595 - 07/01/10 03:04 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Yes to pretty much all your ideas just ditch the neem more of a mess then it's worth just for thrips.

They are small like spider mites but unlike spider mites thrips are easy to get rid of.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck