Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
To Early To Put Under 1000 Watt Light
    #435768 - 06/21/10 07:08 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

These are around 3 weeks old. I shouldn't smoke so much hash oil,forgot date.
Was going to grow only under the T5HO(432 watts). The a/c in that room went and stop working. Temp's are just below 100f at 2pm.
These are AK47 x Diesel auto flowers. The best high I've grown so far and I figure after 70 days I'll be ready for a break from my last grow.

I think just putting them under a 1000 might stress them out or I just seen to many post on this.

So what is every ones thought on this?

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever sence.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTektonic
dont panic, it's organic

Folding@home Statistics
Re: To Early To Put Under 1000 Watt Light [Re: KaptKid]
    #435769 - 06/21/10 07:12 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

put them under the light about 2.5'-3' away
then lower it slowly over a week or so

--------------------
Legal & Compliant with local & state regulations.

Daily Tzolkin

:peace: :heart: :earth:

"If triangles' had a God, he would have 3 sides."

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
Re: To Early To Put Under 1000 Watt Light [Re: Tektonic]
    #435803 - 06/21/10 09:08 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I don't think so dude, he said it's 100 degrees in mid afternoon... 

I wouldn't even use the 1000 watter at all.  They are not going to be very large so it's basically going to be a SOG grow, and you haven't even culled the males yet correct?  I think you will have no problem at all getting similar results (yield and density) using the T-5's and you will have less headaches along the way. 

400 watts is plenty enough to flower out a SOG run because even if it's fluorescent lighting, the penetration should still be good, just keep it as close as you can to the canopy, and make sure you have direct breeze blowing across the canopy.  I think the plants will thank you for giving them a break on the heat intensity.  If you end up repairing/replacing your A/C unit, then I would consider using the 1k...

Someone else may disagree but that's what I would personally do.

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

OfflineSmOakland
Now with Grow!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oaktown to NOLA
Re: To Early To Put Under 1000 Watt Light [Re: Inverted]
    #435837 - 06/21/10 09:50 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Inverted said:

I wouldn't even use the 1000 watter at all.  They are not going to be very large so it's basically going to be a SOG grow, and you haven't even culled the males yet correct?  I think you will have no problem at all getting similar results (yield and density) using the T-5's and you will have less headaches along the way. 

400 watts is plenty enough to flower out a SOG run because even if it's fluorescent lighting, the penetration should still be good, just keep it as close as you can to the canopy, and make sure you have direct breeze blowing across the canopy.  I think the plants will thank you for giving them a break on the heat intensity.  If you end up repairing/replacing your A/C unit, then I would consider using the 1k...

I disagree that you can get similar results to an HPS under florescent tubes regardless of strain.  Other than that you are 100% correct.  Those plants are going to grow slow as shit in 100 degrees.

OfflineTektonic
dont panic, it's organic

Folding@home Statistics
    #435877 - 06/21/10 10:55 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

oh snap, i missed that part
you should run lights at night bro
for 18/6 - 7pm to 11am
for 12/12 - 7pm to 7am
with proper ventilation, they should be happy

--------------------
Legal & Compliant with local & state regulations.

Daily Tzolkin

:peace: :heart: :earth:

"If triangles' had a God, he would have 3 sides."

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Re: To Early To Put Under 1000 Watt Light [Re: SmOakland]
    #435930 - 06/21/10 11:40 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

SmOakland said:
Quote:

Inverted said:

I disagree that you can get similar results to an HPS under florescent tubes regardless of strain.  Other than that you are 100% correct.  Those plants are going to grow slow as shit in 100 degrees.

Well you are entitled to your opinion, but I have done the field work to know that you indeed can.  I am talking about his SPECIFIC SCENARIO, obviously in general the HPS is going to destroy.  As long as the plants are small, which with AF that is a guarantee, you won't get much more yield from the HPS... Besides, his FL setup is 432 watts, that is more than enough to flower out all of those plants with big colas, I've seen it done with 200 watts before.

The big advantage of HID over Fluoros is the PENETRATION factor.  Using SOG or Scrog eliminates or lessens that advantage.  As long as he cleans the bottom half of the plant out of all growth to force it up top, he should have a great run.

--------------------

OfflineCrusty Ass Bastard
Pheno Hunting

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #436105 - 06/22/10 11:27 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I'd leave them under the flouros too.

Are you supplementing silica? That would really help with those temps.

--------------------
|

Skunk Train (Most Recent) | G13 Haze (Completed) | G13 Haze (Completed) | G13 Haze (Completed)
Cinnibis Rolls | Indoor Peppers

"The secret of improved plant breeding, apart from scientific knowledge, is love." -Luther Burbank

OfflineLucid
Monster Plant Creator
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada-ish. Flag
    #436133 - 06/22/10 02:05 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Inverted said:
Quote:

SmOakland said:
Quote:

Inverted said:

Well you are entitled to your opinion, but I have done the field work to know that you indeed can.  I am talking about his SPECIFIC SCENARIO, obviously in general the HPS is going to destroy.  As long as the plants are small, which with AF that is a guarantee, you won't get much more yield from the HPS... Besides, his FL setup is 432 watts, that is more than enough to flower out all of those plants with big colas, I've seen it done with 200 watts before.

The big advantage of HID over Fluoros is the PENETRATION factor.  Using SOG or Scrog eliminates or lessens that advantage.  As long as he cleans the bottom half of the plant out of all growth to force it up top, he should have a great run.

Perfection. :orry:

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Re: To Early To Put Under 1000 Watt Light [Re: Crusty Ass Bastard]
    #436255 - 06/22/10 06:37 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Sorry for any confusion.
The room with the T5HO lost the a/c. The 1000 watt light has a/c.

My worry was light stress. Stoned me. Forgot the Lunatek ballast has adjustable watts. I started with 600 watts last night and will up to 750 tonight.

As far as weight goes. I've gotten up to 7grans per plant under the T5HO, under the 1000 watt gotten from 7 to 14 grams per plant.

It is unfortunate that some will turn out to be males.:shrug:

Inverted, always keep the bottom of the plants trimmed. I hope this help air circulation which fights mold. My outside humidity avg's 80.

Crusty Old Bastard, silica, I've read of this. Need to find some. Next summer I want to do a summer grow and keep the bud room at 90f,maybe 85f. The only way I could afford to grow when so hot.

--------------------

OfflineDieselB
High Watt Closet
Male

#436294 - 06/22/10 08:28 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah, as much as I trust and respect the both of you guys, it is really hard for me to believe that 1k watts of HID isn't gonna make a considerable difference in yield? Have you really both used comparable setups and measured against one another, because it looks like the OP has, and it looks quite considerable.. I will agree if the temps don't get under control, he won't yield any more because it's not gonna be feasible to have the HID close enough to the plants without causing a heat burn. However, I am very confident that if he were to get the temps under control it will enable him to place the light at a closer proximity,and the 1k HPS will far outproduce the flouro's.

--------------------
If you ain't smokin' dro, you're smokin' reggie. :shrug:

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: To Early To Put Under 1000 Watt Light [Re: DieselB]
    #436346 - 06/22/10 10:20 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Ok, when plants start out in the wild do they stress from the light? No. I start all my seeds under the HIDs right from day one.

Look at where these plants are from. The spring time light in these places is stronger then any HID on earth. Seedlings will do fine (so will cuttings for that matter I start all mine under HIDs also) under the HID lights unless you put them so close they cook.

Now the other silly crap I always hear. Plants don't grow over 85f very good. Let me say it like this BULLSHIT if this was true there would be no outdoor weed from Humboldt, Mendocino, Calaveras  counties cause they temps are way higher then this for weeks at a time.

In my tents I can't think of the last time the inside of em wasn't at least 80f during the light cycle.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Re: To Early To Put Under 1000 Watt Light [Re: Magash]
    #436354 - 06/22/10 10:26 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for clearing this up.

The a/c is the biggest part of the eclectic bill.

--------------------

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

#436371 - 06/22/10 11:12 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

DieselB said:
Yeah, as much as I trust and respect the both of you guys, it is really hard for me to believe that 1k watts of HID isn't gonna make a considerable difference in yield? Have you really both used comparable setups and measured against one another, because it looks like the OP has, and it looks quite considerable.. I will agree if the temps don't get under control, he won't yield any more because it's not gonna be feasible to have the HID close enough to the plants without causing a heat burn. However, I am very confident that if he were to get the temps under control it will enable him to place the light at a closer proximity,and the 1k HPS will far outproduce the flouro's.

My god not again.  I'll just quote myself here... Maybe you can understand.

Quote:

Inverted said:
I am talking about his SPECIFIC SCENARIO, obviously in general the HPS is going to destroy.

--------------------

Pheno Hunting

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #436423 - 06/23/10 07:27 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Inverted said:

My god not again.  I'll just quote myself here... Maybe you can understand.

Quote:

Inverted said:
I am talking about his SPECIFIC SCENARIO, obviously in general the HPS is going to destroy.

Wait you mean 400w of cfl won't always out yield a 1000w hps? I could have sworn...

:ffffuuu:

We were both under the impression, like everyone else, that he was battling 100f temps in the same room he was considering adding a 1000w HID to.

--------------------
|

Skunk Train (Most Recent) | G13 Haze (Completed) | G13 Haze (Completed) | G13 Haze (Completed)

"The secret of improved plant breeding, apart from scientific knowledge, is love." -Luther Burbank

Edited by Crusty Ass Bastard (06/23/10 07:37 AM)

OfflineDieselB
High Watt Closet
Male

#436582 - 06/23/10 01:01 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Let me get my panties in a twist and quote myself too!

"I will agree if the temps don't get under control, he won't yield any more because it's not gonna be feasible to have the HID close enough to the plants without causing a heat burn"

Thats me saying you two were 95% right, just didn't make sense to me why you wouldn't have advised him to work harder on temps instead band-aiding by half assing the lights. That is all.

--------------------

Pheno Hunting

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #436584 - 06/23/10 01:05 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

The OP is a fully capable grower and this isn't doctor's diagnosis. He said the A/C was busted so who the fuck are we to tell him to fix it? The temp is 100f, I think he might be capable of reaching that conclusion all by his lonesome.

--------------------
|

OfflineDieselB
High Watt Closet
Male

#436595 - 06/23/10 01:47 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Crusty Ass Bastard said:
The OP is a fully capable grower and this isn't doctor's diagnosis. He said the A/C was busted so who the fuck are we to tell him to fix it? The temp is 100f, I think he might be capable of reaching that conclusion all by his lonesome.

Ok, I am an asshole, you all have my apologies.. I honestly didn't see where he said his AC went out.

--------------------

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

#436872 - 06/24/10 10:06 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah no worries, I was feeling shitty and in a bad mood when I posted that.

--------------------

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

#438388 - 06/27/10 10:45 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

This thread went from light stress to temperature.:shrug:

So here's an update.
With light on got it set at 91f, light off 80f. A/C runs a lot less.
Going to complete the grow at these temp's.
Want to see if there is a noticeable difference in the high.
Know I'm saving money on electricity.

Edit: The growth is doing great at these temp's.

--------------------

Edited by KaptKid (06/27/10 10:46 AM)

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

#438647 - 06/27/10 09:38 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Good to hear :thumbup:

The way I look at it, Cannabis survives in nearly any environment.  It's grown in the steaming hot tropics, to the cool mountains of Alaska and Asia, and every year that I grow outdoors we have spells of 100 degrees for a few days to a week, along with 70-80 percent humidity and the plants seem to not stress at all, they even seem to do well in these temps as long as they are watered and can maintain transpiration.

--------------------

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

#438654 - 06/27/10 09:49 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

15 plants left out of 31. Hope no more turn male.

--------------------

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

#438738 - 06/28/10 12:15 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quite the range of phenotypes there.  I hope you get no more males as well, but they usually all show first, but not always.  50% would be fine, so I would be unhappy to see you plagued with any more wieners in the grow room. :lol:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds