Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblecurbstop
Stranger

Grow Tent Questions *DELETED*
    #432757 - 06/14/10 03:17 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Post deleted by curbstop

Reason for deletion: Sdr

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCrusty Ass Bastard
Pheno Hunting

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Grow Tent Questions [Re: curbstop]
    #432767 - 06/14/10 03:43 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

curbstop said:
Do I need a booster fan to blow air into the tent or can I just leave a flap/door open a bit and allow my vortex inline centrifugal to do the work?

The vortex will take care of it. You could leave several flaps open and still maintain negative pressure in a tent that size with that fan IMO.

Quote:

curbstop said:Can I place the scrubber out side so the scrubber is the exit for the air rather then the entry.

Yes.

Quote:

curbstop said:Also on the vortex will I need to pick up a regulator or will I be able to let the girl run at full

I'd pick up a regulator/controller. That is too powerful and will push air through the scrubber too fast IMO unless the scrubber is giant.

Quote:

curbstop said:I would like to get a air cooled reflector however my local shop is now pushing the water cooled units, What do you guys think?

Go with the air-cooled hood, they just want your $$$. You can get an air-cooled hood close enough to cause light damage to your plants without heat stressing them. Sure you can keep the water cooled hood 4" away instead of 7" without causing heat damage, but when we have light damage at 7" what is going to happen at 4"? Just saying.

--------------------
|

Skunk Train (Most Recent) | G13 Haze (Completed) | G13 Haze (Completed) | G13 Haze (Completed)
Cinnibis Rolls | Indoor Peppers

"The secret of improved plant breeding, apart from scientific knowledge, is love." -Luther Burbank

Invisiblecurbstop
Stranger

Re: Grow Tent Questions *DELETED* [Re: Crusty Ass Bastard]
    #432770 - 06/14/10 04:08 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Post deleted by curbstop

Pheno Hunting

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #432789 - 06/14/10 05:40 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Check out "speedster" or "the speedster". I don't have a link, but I know they are specifically designed for vortex and vortex-like fans.

I'd get a big ass 8" scrubber personally, like 8" x 20", and stick with that vortex. Then throw on a reducer and run 6" ducting to 6" hood. 6" scrubber will work too I just think you will have to slow the fan way down.

--------------------
|

Skunk Train (Most Recent) | G13 Haze (Completed) | G13 Haze (Completed) | G13 Haze (Completed)

"The secret of improved plant breeding, apart from scientific knowledge, is love." -Luther Burbank

Edited by Crusty Ass Bastard (06/14/10 05:47 PM)

Invisiblecurbstop
Stranger

Re: Grow Tent Questions *DELETED* [Re: Crusty Ass Bastard]
    #432803 - 06/14/10 06:32 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Post deleted by curbstop

OfflineDieselB
High Watt Closet
Male

#433456 - 06/15/10 11:45 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I don't know, I have the GrowBright 6" filter with 6" 424cfm fan, I run at full speed 24/7 and it eliminated the smell. I really didn't expect it to do so well.

I don't really think air moving too fast is gonna make the scrubber inefficent, seems like everyone has that theory.. I'd like to know who it came from.. If it were exchanging heat, there would be need to regulate flow, but being that the carbon is stationary, the amount of airflow is not gonna manipulate the density of the filtering material in a negative way. As a matter of fact, the higher the fan flows, the more vaccum will be placced on the carbon and it should increase density if anything. Which would of course improve filtering capability. Unless you were creating enough vacuum to pull the carbon out of the filter, I don't see air speed/flow being a problem.

Crusty, no offense to your suggestion/reccomendation, my man. I'm just a thinker, and when something doesn't make a whole lot of sense I have to question and hypothesize.

PS: On a side note, I saw our buddy, pftek, over on RIU asking why the carbon scrubber ruined his weed, said it eliminated the smell even after curing.. Even though he cured it "the right way". :rofl2:

--------------------
If you ain't smokin' dro, you're smokin' reggie. :shrug:

Pheno Hunting

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Grow Tent Questions [Re: DieselB]
    #433570 - 06/16/10 08:46 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

The slower you can move air past carbon the better it will filter the scent. Once the fan's CFM exceeds the CFM rating of the filter, air is not being exposed to enough of the carbon surface area. I had this problem with my 4" scrubber and stanley blower (310cfm) and had to upgrade to a 6" filter and the problem was solved.

Your fan is 424cfm and your filter is rated to 424cfm, but try putting a 600cfm fan on there or a 4" scrubber and you will see what I mean pretty fast.

--------------------
|

OfflineDieselB
High Watt Closet
Male

Re: Grow Tent Questions [Re: Crusty Ass Bastard]
    #433595 - 06/16/10 10:20 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I'd love to engage in technical debate, but your too cool and I don't want it to end badly. :electrickoolaid:

--------------------

Pheno Hunting

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #433607 - 06/16/10 11:33 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

People would be exhausting entire warehouses into 6" scrubbers if too much airflow wasn't an issue.

There is a reason every reputable scrubber brand sells 20 different sizes and rates each differently. You might be the only person to show up on your side of the debate is what I'm saying.

"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is."

--------------------
|

Pheno Hunting

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #433609 - 06/16/10 11:38 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Also, the backpressure put on your fan when exceeding a scrubber's max CFM is a fire hazard are surefire way to burn your fan out prematurely.

--------------------
|

OfflineDieselB
High Watt Closet
Male

#433633 - 06/16/10 12:54 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Crusty Ass Bastard said:
Also, the backpressure put on your fan when exceeding a scrubber's max CFM is a fire hazard are surefire way to burn your fan out prematurely.

This is your best argument, your just being a wise ass about 6" scrubbers in warehouses, the obvious reason of why they don't do that is because of surface area of the filter compared to massive square fottage in a warehouse. Just wouldn't be efficent, airflow doesn't do the job, the carbon does. Or well, its a good combination of the two.

And while were at it, your last arguement about your 4" not working, it very well could have been defective, I have seen these things come through packed super loose, and the increased filtering ability of a bigger filter (the 6) could've been the reason you saw the reduction in smell. There are way too many variables in that equation to just say the filter was being outmatched by the fan.

Just had to start it,huh? :tongue2:

--------------------

OfflineDieselB
High Watt Closet
Male

#433637 - 06/16/10 01:04 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Just to make sure I'm clarifying my position here, I'm not advocating you go outside suggested limits of your given carbon filter. Those limits are there for a reason and were probably calculated by somebody far more qualified than either of us.

Also, to the OP, I agree with Crusty 99% the 545 on a 8" would be a great match, and with the area you have, the bigger filter is not only gonna do a better job, but it will also last longer.

My main point, I was trying to get across, is that my fan is only 100 less cfm and I run at full speed, and I honestly feel like the filter (6") could handle more airflow, even though its 100% efficent right now. I have NO smell.

I guess what it comes down to, is I'm against fan speed controllers because they are a hack, when you want to control an AC engine you use whats called a Varible Speed Drive or Variable Frequency Drive, this alters the Hz cycle, which is the proper way to do it, the run of the mill controllers alter voltage and that throws the motors out of phase, and its not good for them.

--------------------

Pheno Hunting

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #433674 - 06/16/10 02:58 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

DieselB said:
And while were at it, your last arguement about your 4" not working, it very well could have been defective, I have seen these things come through packed super loose, and the increased filtering ability of a bigger filter (the 6) could've been the reason you saw the reduction in smell. There are way too many variables in that equation to just say the filter was being outmatched by the fan.

Just had to start it,huh? :tongue2:

I'd replaced the carbon in the 4" at least once by then, it was @ 10 months use with a smaller (booster) fan. Fully functional. Hooked up the stanley when I got it and it was too much on II & III, which were required to cool the hood. You seem to be reading into this and/or theorizing about this way too much. Just try it.

Knowledgeable growers, hydro shop owners, scrubber manufacturers, etc. all state what I've stated above. I'm surprised nobody has chimed in here. You should repost this on icmag and see where it goes.

--------------------
|

OfflineDieselB
High Watt Closet
Male

#433728 - 06/16/10 05:22 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

There not much to post, most of that is filler for my main point, which is that I don't think a fan speed controller is really needed for his application, thats all. If you read into what I said about controlling speed of an AC motor, you'll see what I mean.

I don't mean to come off as a "know it all" or anything, it's just my environment I guess.. Half my friends are engineers, and/or high level technicians, we have constant debates going on over all sorts of different subjects/designs and I naturally think in a technical sense because of it. It has also caused me to have something of an argumentative nature sometimes too, that's why I tried to avoid it at first.

--------------------

Offlinefungi
 User Gallery

Loc: Silicon Sizzle, CA USA Flag
    #433862 - 06/16/10 10:03 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Crusty Ass Bastard said:
Quote:

curbstop said:
Quote:

curbstop said:I would like to get a air cooled reflector however my local shop is now pushing the water cooled units, What do you guys think?

Go with the air-cooled hood, they just want your $$$. You can get an air-cooled hood close enough to cause light damage to your plants without heat stressing them. Sure you can keep the water cooled hood 4" away instead of 7" without causing heat damage, but when we have light damage at 7" what is going to happen at 4"? Just saying.

a 1000W will kill plants or damage them if they are 4". 1000W is a powerful animal. Make sure you get a closed hood if you ever spray on the leaves. Without a closed hood you slip up a little and spray water on a bulb that can explode.

Offlinefungi
 User Gallery

Loc: Silicon Sizzle, CA USA Flag
Re: Grow Tent Questions [Re: fungi]
    #438671 - 06/27/10 10:30 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

As cheesy as it might sound, I think an aircooled hood is the best kind of hood their is. I'd highly recommend one in the setup you have. It cools down the bulb and hence the tent in this case a good 5 degree's F at least. The cost is marginal to the benefit it provides.

I had a regular hood before the air cooled, and I was spraying the plants (leaves) and was stoned and swung up a little and heard the water hit the bulb. The 1000W HPS bulb. Scared me shitless.

Also be sure to put the ballast above the ground if you are doing DWC hydro buckets... I was walking around and hit a line, water starting going towards the ballast and I ran to unplug it before I killed myself.

Invisiblecurbstop
Stranger

Re: Grow Tent Questions *DELETED* [Re: fungi]
    #440173 - 06/30/10 09:07 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Post deleted by curbstop

OfflineDieselB
High Watt Closet
Male

#440219 - 06/30/10 10:47 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

A good air cooled setup can pull temps down as much as 20 degrees, possibly more depending on lighting and flow.

--------------------

Invisiblecurbstop
Stranger

Re: Grow Tent Questions *DELETED* [Re: DieselB]
    #440620 - 07/01/10 03:40 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Post deleted by curbstop

OfflineDieselB
High Watt Closet
Male

#440623 - 07/01/10 03:44 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I see what you're getting now, that would largely depend on what kind of square footage you have in the office, and also what kind of ventilation the office/building already has.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom