Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinekickin-two-hundo
|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅| ♪♫♪♫♪♫
Male User Gallery

Loc: afghanistan
First DWC hydroponic grow- Advice and Fert suggestions wanted!
    #424263 - 05/26/10 04:17 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Hey everyone, just made my first dwc bubbler setup, i got the idea from a friend who has an aerostar premade setup, and got the tutorial on how to do it from online. It is a 10 gallon tank with two 8 inch airstones, it is completely light tight, no light gets in. i am using two 5 inch net pots and a double outlet airpump. If all goes well with my first grow in it, i am planning on using it to clone, a mother plant on one side the clones on the other. Here are some pictures of my setup:

I am going to use vermiculite and perlite as my grow medium and i have a 400 watt metal halide and hps light.

My questions are:
I am planning on germinating and starting my plants in jiffy peat pellets is this a good idea? Or should i germinate and start the seedlings right in the vermiculite and perlite?or some other way? What ratio of mixture should i use of vemiculite to perlite?

What kind of nutrients should i use? what are the best kind with the best price for hydro? also for soil growing too, what are the best nutrients that i should get? are there any nutrients which i could use for both my hydro and soil setup?

Also Has anyone used one of these setups before? if so how did it go, and how was your yield?

Thank you so much to anyone who offers some useful advice!!!!:grin:

--------------------
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.

anything and everything i post on here is completely fictional and come straight from the deepest depths of the black hole which is my mind.

Edited by cicken200 (05/26/10 04:19 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleFarBeyondDriven
Truthfully, I'm a bullshitter
Male User Gallery

Loc: Greenbow, Alabama
Re: First DWC hydroponic grow- Advice and Fert suggestions wanted! [Re: kickin-two-hundo]
    #424433 - 05/26/10 10:31 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

How exactly are you going to use your lights?  You just gonna run them both all the time or what?:confused:

Because from what I understand, it's better to use the MH in veg and the HPS in flower.  Blue light spectrum or something is better in veg phase I think.

--------------------

OfflineTomCollins

Re: First DWC hydroponic grow- Advice and Fert suggestions wanted! [Re: FarBeyondDriven]
    #424530 - 05/27/10 07:58 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

FarBeyondDriven said:
Because from what I understand, it's better to use the MH in veg and the HPS in flower.  Blue light spectrum or something is better in veg phase I think.

:thumbup: Correct, the plants like more blue spectrum light during vegetative phase and more red/orange during bud production.

Although the plants primarily use red spectrum light during flowering, they would benefit from the additional UVB light from MH lights. However, during vegetative growth I'd say just run the MH, and simply add the HPS once flowering begins.

--------------------
andyistic said:
Ok so let me bring you idiots up to speed.
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

Offlinekickin-two-hundo
Male User Gallery

Re: First DWC hydroponic grow- Advice and Fert suggestions wanted! [Re: TomCollins]
    #424570 - 05/27/10 10:56 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

lol i knew that thats why i have the two lights, the mh is for veg hps for flower. im gonna do 18/6 with the mh, and switch to 12/12 with the hps. obviously.

--------------------

anything and everything i post on here is completely fictional and come straight from the deepest depths of the black hole which is my mind.

InvisibleFarBeyondDriven
Male User Gallery

Re: First DWC hydroponic grow- Advice and Fert suggestions wanted! [Re: kickin-two-hundo]
    #424612 - 05/27/10 12:59 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Just askin bro.  I've seen super newbs up here have all kinds of fucked up shit before just so they can be like, "Dude, I got a hps, mh, cfl, led, incandescent, flouro, blacklight setup."

--------------------

Offlinekickin-two-hundo
Male User Gallery

Re: First DWC hydroponic grow- Advice and Fert suggestions wanted! [Re: FarBeyondDriven]
    #424621 - 05/27/10 01:10 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

ya so any suggestions or answers to any of my questions? :confused:

--------------------

Invisiblebrifunforme
Card Holder. Not really
    #424642 - 05/27/10 01:54 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

If your going with hydro I wouldn't start your seeds in jiffy peat pellets. Also,  would get some hydroton or something similar instead of using verm and perlite. Verm and perlite are good for hempy style where you water them like you would with soil, but in a DWC I foresee quite a few different problems. One being root rot as the verm will hold so much water it will be constantly saturated and thats not a good thing. As for nutes, seems general hydroponics is well liked.

OfflineTomCollins

#424643 - 05/27/10 02:01 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

cicken200 said:
My questions are:
I am planning on germinating and starting my plants in jiffy peat pellets is this a good idea? Or should i germinate and start the seedlings right in the vermiculite and perlite?or some other way? What ratio of mixture should i use of vemiculite to perlite?

Personally, I would go with the wet paper towl method or just drop them in a cup of water and set that on top of something like your computer, TV or even heater (if it's not too hot.) I think your germination rates will be a little better.

A 1:3 verm:perl ratio should pretty good. However, it doesn't really matter too much with your setup.

Quote:

cicken200 said:What kind of nutrients should i use? what are the best kind with the best price for hydro? also for soil growing too, what are the best nutrients that i should get? are there any nutrients which i could use for both my hydro and soil setup?

The floranova series by GH is considered by a majority of the folks on this site to be the best hydroponic nutrients you can buy. Unfortunately, the shits not cheap, but it'll last you.

The floranova series is particularily user friendly too because instead of being a 3 part nutrient mixture it is 1 part for veg and 1 part for flowering.

Here is a very cool feeding regimen developed by Magash, growerys bud guru, and it uses the floranova nutrient line: https://www.growery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/268294#268294

Now from my understanding, you CAN use hydro nutes in soil. My question is, why would you grow soil and hydro?

Quote:

cicken200 said:
Also Has anyone used one of these setups before? if so how did it go, and how was your yield?

Thank you so much to anyone who offers some useful advice!!!!:grin:

I have not used DWC before, but I have done ebb and flow and am currently trying out hempy buckets.

Here is integra21s grow log: https://www.growery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/244075/fpart/1/vc/1

He uses DWC and his results are nothing short of impressive.

Quote:

cicken200 said:
lol i knew that thats why i have the two lights, the mh is for veg hps for flower. im gonna do 18/6 with the mh, and switch to 12/12 with the hps. obviously.

You should use both lights for flowering if you can.

Quote:

brifunforme said:
Verm and perlite are good for hempy style where you water them like you would with soil, but in a DWC I foresee quite a few different problems. One being root rot as the verm will hold so much water it will be constantly saturated and thats not a good thing.

From my understanding, in a DWC setup the actual medium that the root ball sits in is actually above the water. So that being said, how would the vermiculite remain completely saturated and hence created root rot?

In addition, if he used a ratio of something like 1:3 or 1:4 verm to perl, wouldn't that be a way to counter the over saturation?

The only reason I'm throwing these question at you is because in my Ebb and flow setup, my plants sat in a verm and perlite medium. The thing flooded every 3 hours for 30 minutes and I did not have an issue at all. In fact, when I removed the plants and took them out of the cups, the roots in the medium were more white and healthy looking than the roots that sat outside of the medium.

I do not see any problems in using vermiculite and perlite as your hydroponic medium.

--------------------
andyistic said:
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

Edited by TomCollins (05/27/10 02:08 PM)

Invisiblebrifunforme
Card Holder. Not really
Re: First DWC hydroponic grow- Advice and Fert suggestions wanted! [Re: TomCollins]
    #424648 - 05/27/10 02:10 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Dont use 800 watts of lighting on two plants. Thats just wasting electricity,bulbs,ballast,etc etc. 400 watts is fine for 2 plants. Yes the plants would benefit from both spectrums, but with such a small scale grow the differences would be nill.

OfflineTomCollins

Re: First DWC hydroponic grow- Advice and Fert suggestions wanted! [Re: brifunforme]
    #424649 - 05/27/10 02:11 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

brifunforme said:
Dont use 800 watts of lighting on two plants. Thats just wasting electricity,bulbs,ballast,etc etc. 400 watts is fine for 2 plants. Yes the plants would benefit from both spectrums, but with such a small scale grow the differences would be nill.

I disagree. I think the increased UVB would result in a much higher quality product.

--------------------
andyistic said:

InvisibleFarBeyondDriven
Male User Gallery

#424650 - 05/27/10 02:12 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah, use hydroton instead vermiculite and perlite.  I wouldn't have used a fish tank, but if it's 100% light proof, you should be ok.  Go with a rubbermaid container next time.  And as far as nutes, I see everyone talking about GH.  So I'd go with that.

--------------------

Invisiblebrifunforme
Card Holder. Not really
    #424652 - 05/27/10 02:14 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Spency said:
Quote:

cicken200 said:
My questions are:

Quote:

brifunforme said:
Verm and perlite are good for hempy style where you water them like you would with soil, but in a DWC I foresee quite a few different problems. One being root rot as the verm will hold so much water it will be constantly saturated and thats not a good thing.

From my understanding, in a DWC setup the actual medium that the root ball sits in is actually above the water. So that being said, how would the vermiculite remain completely saturated and hence created root rot?

In addition, if he used a ratio of something like 1:3 or 1:4 verm to perl, wouldn't that be a way to counter the over saturation?

The only reason I'm throwing these question at you is because in my Ebb and flow setup, my plants sat in a verm and perlite medium. The thing flooded every 3 hours for 30 minutes and I did not have an issue at all. In fact, when I removed the plants and took them out of the cups, the roots in the medium were more white and healthy looking than the roots that sat outside of the medium.

I do not see any problems in using vermiculite and perlite as your hydroponic medium.

Well I figured the verm would be saturated because the verm draws moisture in and holds it and releases it. But if it has a constant humid environment underneath it then it would probably stay saturated. I wouldn't do it if it were me as I try not to make mistakes when first starting at new things. And hydroton is fairly affordable.
If anything just use perlite in a DWC not verm.

Invisiblebrifunforme
Card Holder. Not really
    #424653 - 05/27/10 02:16 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Spency said:
Quote:

brifunforme said:

I disagree. I think the increased UVB would result in a much higher quality product.

For two plants to run 800 watts of power is entire overkill and a waste of resources. It's not going to result in too much more product and it's not going to be drastically better then just using a 400 watter.

edit*
Not to mention it looks like a fairly small sized grow, so having two 400 watt lights also brings up the heat in a small area. To run TWO lights for this small of a setup would not benefit you to the point of being worth it.

OfflineTomCollins

Re: First DWC hydroponic grow- Advice and Fert suggestions wanted! [Re: brifunforme]
    #424661 - 05/27/10 02:27 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

brifunforme said:
Well I figured the verm would be saturated because the verm draws moisture in and holds it and releases it. But if it has a constant humid environment underneath it then it would probably stay saturated. I wouldn't do it if it were me as I try not to make mistakes when first starting at new things. And hydroton is fairly affordable.
If anything just use perlite in a DWC not verm.

:shrug: I never had issues, and the medium in my setup would actually get submerged.

Agreed hydroton would be the better route, and if not just straight perlite.

Quote:

brifunforme said:
For two plants to run 800 watts of power is entire overkill and a waste of resources. It's not going to result in too much more product and it's not going to be drastically better then just using a 400 watter.

I suppose you are right. IMO, if you can do it without compromising your plants then I'd still say go for it. The addition spectrum and wattage would no doubt improve your results.

I mean it's also a question of how large he'll allow his plants to get.

In addition, he would have much better canopy penetration if he combined the two lights. That would give him much better and proportionate plants in terms of bud production.

--------------------
andyistic said:

Offlinekickin-two-hundo
Male User Gallery

#424663 - 05/27/10 02:29 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for all you input spency, to tell you the truth i have been germinating them in a wet paper towl, i was talking about when they pop i was gonna throw it in a jiffy cube, but im thinkin that im gonna put it straight into the perl and verm mixture.

I will use the 1:3 ratio with my plants in pots, for the hydro setup should i do more like 1:5 verm:perl, because i dont want it to be to wet and for my roots to rot.

Okay, i am going to invest in the floranova series, if it will last and i will get outstanding results.
Now should i get the FloraNova Bloom &
FloraNova Grow, or i also saw they had Floralicious Bloom/ Grow, which said was organic, of the two which should i spend the money on? i like the numbers of the regular flora nova better than the floralicious numbers. And by numbers i mean the different nutrient levels. I also saw this nice little set they had called the TechnaFlora recipe for succes kit, is this any good? It looks like a pretty good little nutrient setup, and its not that expensive.

Quote:

Now from my understanding, you CAN use hydro nutes in soil. My question is, why would you grow soil and hydro?

I have some bagseed seeds(which i will be growing in the hempy mixture, which are from some fire nugs, but i am ordering some afghan kush ryder autoflower seeds (which i will grow in the hydro setup) and taking avantage of the june4-7 freebies from altitude.com

--------------------

Offlinekickin-two-hundo
Male User Gallery

#424670 - 05/27/10 02:40 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Its not going to be that small of a grow, i will have the two in the hydro, and 4 in pots. and the room is 5x5x 8 feet high, so i plan on making the plants pretty big and im going to use lst on the ones in pots, scrog on the hydro ones.

But to end the argument about lighting with the two lights at once, i have a mh conversion bulb and a hps light, only one balast. so i can only run one light at a time... but i do have a bulb which i use for my bearded dragon which has both UVA and UVB rays, so i might use it shining up on the plant, while the hps is shining down on it, does that make sense?

--------------------

Invisiblebrifunforme
Card Holder. Not really
    #424673 - 05/27/10 02:47 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Well, for 5X5 I would in fact use two 400 watters if you did have them. Are you going to enclose the area or keep it at 5X5?

Offlinekickin-two-hundo
Male User Gallery

#424674 - 05/27/10 02:51 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

i'm going to enclose it to a space of either 3x3 or 3x4 and the lights will be 24 inches above them.

--------------------

Offlinekickin-two-hundo
Male User Gallery

#425556 - 05/29/10 02:33 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

splif! TechnaFlora recipe for succes kit, is it worth buying?

--------------------

InvisiblePurplePistol
Male

Loc: Texas Flag
    #684640 - 09/09/13 11:13 AM (10 years, 6 months ago)

DWC def the way to go. Check out Blue Plant Nutes. They have two nice packages and schedules, and their prices are great! Yields on DWC are always high providing you do everything correctly. I've got almost 1.5lbs off a single giant plant.

http://www.blueplanetnutrients.com/

--------------------

"Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better." -Maya Angelou-

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom