Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineThebooedocksaint
Dead Dictator
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild & Free
On xeno society self destruction.
    #422063 - 05/22/10 12:56 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

"the alternative is that civilizations don't last long, and destroy themselves." When refering to the lack of any radio contact from other civilizations. That is really insightful, what if life doesn't tend to evolve very far as a society, and simply destroys itself. Think of all the ways mankind could of killed itself before, it isn't that far out of an idea.

Taking that further, that seems to make me think it is less likely to run into overly aggressive alien species (if we ever do) because I would think an aggressive society would be one more prone to destruction...

Unless it takes that aggression to make a society notice how bad violence is for a race.

But I might just be ranting idiotically, you be the judge. :rasta:

Or alternatively society may tend to live long and life just is not close enough to us to detect, meaning life is a rarity.

--------------------
"Je pense, donc je suis (I am thinking, therefore I am)." -Rene Descartes

Edited by Thebooedocksaint (05/22/10 01:00 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

Re: On xeno society self destruction. [Re: Thebooedocksaint]
    #422155 - 05/22/10 04:47 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I think life is not a rarity but intelligent life very well may be.  The universe is indeed large but we are late arrivals to the scene.  There certainly has been enough time for intelligent life to have existed and destroyed itself, or be destroyed by some other cosmological event.  Life would have to evolve fast enough to outpace the fuel consumption of their local star, and depending on the way the star dies they would need a way to survive outside their planet.

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:
you know what i did in english class? I came to class stoned out of my mind every day, i chugged vodka in the back of class, i put dead fish in the ceiling tiles. i put a gallon of old milk and orange juice in the file cabinet before winter vacation. i brought snakes in a tied up sweater and let them loose during class. i didnt go to school to learn, i went because i had to. i didnt care, and i didn't fucking listen to that stupid bitch. and i still don't fucking care. i tore the pages out of her books and burned them, and threw away all the books in the class, two books per day.  :twobooks:

OfflineThebooedocksaint
Dead Dictator
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild & Free
Re: On xeno society self destruction. [Re: THEBats]
    #422842 - 05/23/10 07:51 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Honestly though, even if life is rare. It is still numerous. Just because of how much space there is for that rarity to occur in.

I could easily believe if a world only had a single land mass a world war could easily obliterate all life.

Although that is assuming aquatic and flying intelligent life is uncommon.

Also, I could believe an aquatic society could easily kill itself off.

--------------------
"Je pense, donc je suis (I am thinking, therefore I am)." -Rene Descartes

Jump to top Pages: 1